Extreme Decorating... Am I Magic?

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 17 May 2009 , 10:39pm by ericaplh

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 74

I just got a call from an event planner that is huge. She needs a sculpted cake for Wednesday, money is no object.

The theme you ask? 1980's prom. I was told, "pink, black, purple, 1980's prom, go ace of cakes crazy on this thing" and I said, "hahah for THIS Wednesday? as in, day after tomorrow???" "yeah, don't worry, they'll pay anything, just make it happen"

So, I googled 80's proms, and I just do not know what to do!! I saw a lot of balloon arches and shiny dresses. Huge hair, ridiculous eye makeup...

OKAY, if I start tonight, which of course there is no other option, and I make a stage looking thing with the sparkly hula skirt looking stuff around the base. Make a prom queen and king on the stage, just ridiculously 80's upped and a balloon arch over them? Should I put anything on the stage with them?

the cake itself only has to serve 15.

73 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 74

a microphone

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 74

As a high school graduate of 1980, I would suggest - think "disco". It was the era of John Travolta, disco balls, glitz, glitter, silk shirts (unbuttoned of course), vinly albums. Think KC and the Sunshine Band, the BeeGee's, Bob Seiger Band. Yea, the more I think about it, the more images of disco balls come up. As far as hair, it was big, but more like Farah Facett "feathers", both boys and girls. Good luck!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #4 of 74

satin shoes dyed to match the dresses

lots of sequins

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 74

Don't forget the $$$$ price tag. icon_wink.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 74

Or late 80's with Pretty In Pink, released in 1986.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:06am
post #7 of 74

What is the event the cake is to be for?

I thought disco had moved over for slam dancing break dancing by 1980....maybe it was just me that had moved it over....

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:13am
post #8 of 74

piano tie

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:52am
post #9 of 74

mullets

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:16am
post #10 of 74

The 80's for me was all about those bright neon colored clothing.

The green's, pink's, orange, yellow and blue's. Also looking back it was when Madonna made her big debut with he multi-layered crinoline skirt's leggins and lace glove without the fingers.

You could also go Michael Jackson in his pre-wacko days from thriller with the red leather outfit...LOL

Hope this helps and best of luck with the cake icon_smile.gif Cant wait to see a picture once your done icon_smile.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:32am
post #11 of 74

I'm probably too late here, but I'll say what I always think when anything is supposed to represent a whole decade. There is a big difference in 1980 and 1989. The kids who went to the prom in 1989 would laugh at what the 1980 prom looked like "back in the old days". I went back to teach at the high school I graduated from. In those 4 years, the styles had changed dramatically. When I chaperoned the prom, there is no way I could have worn my prom dress from just 4 years before...they would have thought I was in costume.

So if you have time, try to define which year in the 1980s they are trying to replicate.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:12am
post #12 of 74

can't wait to see your pic of this! sounds like fun!

FromScratch Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:02pm
post #13 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

I'm probably too late here, but I'll say what I always think when anything is supposed to represent a whole decade. There is a big difference in 1980 and 1989. The kids who went to the prom in 1989 would laugh at what the 1980 prom looked like "back in the old days". I went back to teach at the high school I graduated from. In those 4 years, the styles had changed dramatically. When I chaperoned the prom, there is no way I could have worn my prom dress from just 4 years before...they would have thought I was in costume.

So if you have time, try to define which year in the 1980s they are trying to replicate.

thumbs_up.gif I couldn't agree more. The 80's had nothing to do with disco for me. It was Run DMC, bad hair, and loud colors. So I'd try to ask them what is 80's to you. icon_smile.gif

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:27pm
post #14 of 74

Wow, the 80's was really a funny decade. My prom was all about disco, which was 1980. But by the end of 1981, I had gone completely Country, attending Alabama concerts. Of course, I was going to college in Canyon, Texas (WTSU) - probably made a difference.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #15 of 74

Have you decided what to do?

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 74

please post a pic once you're finished, i'm excited to see how it turns out icon_smile.gif

Naynay538 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naynay538 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #17 of 74

Good Luck!
The 80's were all about disco for me, but that was a strange decade. Have fun. Post a pic when done.

Suziebee1126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suziebee1126 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:03pm
post #18 of 74

Another 1980 grad here! I was a member of our prom committee. Our theme was "Stairway to Heaven" complete with sparkly stairs leading up to the stage in the gym, a huge mirror ball, "clouds" made from fabric batting, lighting all done in pinks, purples and blues, etc. We were wearing Gunne Sax dresses with lace and poofy sleeves, baby's breath in our hair and bouquets and the boys had tuxedos with ruffled shirts and the band played lots of Eagles, Rolling Stones, Boston, etc. As another poster said-things did change dramatically by the mid to late 80's. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm
post #19 of 74

I'd love to see your cake, also! I agree, there's a huge difference between early 80's and mid and from mid to late. It's like 3 different dress periods. It was all big hair and break dancing when I got there. icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #20 of 74

LedZeppelin released "Stairway to Heaven" in 1971 (my era), so it really does not represent the 1980's at all.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #21 of 74

I graduated in 87 and Stairway To Heaven was our theme song. It was big hair and heavy metal bands. Early 80's was more into Madonna and leggings and stuff like that. I think disco was way out by then. I remember in the 70's that disco was the in thing and I was young, elementary school young. So Junior high I was definetly into the Madonna dangling earrings with the mesh lace glove thing.
If your trying to sum up the decade for a prom I would do a record album or record player with a record on it and then a bottle of mousse or Aqua Net and maybe the Michael Jackson glove! Good luck! Cant wait to see the picks!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #22 of 74

lots of hairspray
karate kid, pretty in pink, the breakfast club
puffy sleeves, shinny dresses, from punk to sweet
lots of rock music and punk
neon
chicago, airsupply, madonna
It was a crazy decade

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #23 of 74

couple of years ago I did an 80's themed b-day - did a boombox - pile of cassette tapes - can of aqua net hairspray and a rubik's cube... just some thots...

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #24 of 74

I'm from the Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Loverboy, Van Halen, Brian Adams, The Cars, Twisted Sister, Billy Idol, Def Leppard, Hooters, and Eddie Money 84-88 highschool years, which were (in mho, the coolest years ever, lol). Lets not forget Boy George and George Michael (remember Wham! ? LOL)

Balloon arches for sure
Pink puffy satin dresses
Pinstripes
Turned up collars
Multilayered, wild colored clothes
Sunglasses at Night

Anything wild and odd would work...but for 15 people?? that should be interesting...

Good times....GOOD TIMES.... icon_smile.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #25 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Stef

I'm from the Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Loverboy, Van Halen, Brian Adams, The Cars, Twisted Sister, Billy Idol, Def Leppard, Hooters, and Eddie Money 84-88 highschool years, which were (in mho, the coolest years ever, lol). Lets not forget Boy George and George Michael (remember Wham! ? LOL)

Balloon arches for sure
Pink puffy satin dresses
Pinstripes
Turned up collars
Multilayered, wild colored clothes
Sunglasses at Night

Anything wild and odd would work...but for 15 people?? that should be interesting...

Good times....GOOD TIMES.... icon_smile.gif

All that and Don't forget Duran Duran, Miami Sound Machine and Ms Jackson if you're Nasty, lol

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #26 of 74

Wow was I the only one into Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motley Crue, and Aerosmith in the 80's? I was hanging out backstage and dating the metal guys.

I loved Kiss, bandanas round the wrist, ripped jeans, zebra striped shirts and pencil heels.

I guess it all just depends on what era of the 80's you grew up in and what side of that era you enjoyed. I would definitly get some details on what they wanted. The 80's is WAY to easy to pick the wrong things....there were so many DIFFERENT groups.

FromScratch Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #27 of 74

Ooooh... I love me some Aerosmith... Don't forget G-n-R too. "You know where you are???? You're in the Jungle baby!!!" icon_lol.gif I was a freshman in 1990 so I was a late 80'sand more of an early 90's kid.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #28 of 74

I graduated in 81 and our theme was "The Best of Times" (STYX). Of course this was in Calif. And no bright/neon colors, lots of pastel satin.

But yes, "feathered" hair. Some of my GF and I sewed our own gowns and I still have mine - "Gunne Sax" (loved those) powder blue satin with white satin accents. My mom had a fit because I would not let her buy me a gown. But I could not find one I liked.

Oh, and there was the requisite mirror ball, of course. It's funny this came up because my daughter's grad announcements came and her prom is coming up. I showed her my stuff and pics and she just laughed at the hair. Her prom tick is $75pp.

sandy

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #29 of 74

A boombox might be a good place to start...and maybe tapes of a variety of singers and groups. You don't have much time, so maybe a few large objects would be quicker to make than a bunch of smaller, very detailed stuff.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:46pm
post #30 of 74

It might of been released in the 70's but Stairway to Heaven was our theme in '81 also! I agree, prom attire for 1980 vs late '80s differed, but 80's to me represents big hair (mine naturally curly so perfect era for me lol!) big earrings, shiny dresses that were layered (had one that the bottem came off to make it layered short, my daughter wore it for halloween!). Man I miss back then, had sooooo much fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%