How Would I Do The Top Of This Cake?

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 2:04pm by todolomio

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 9

My sister found this cake and wants it for her b-day. I'm a bit confused/lost as to how to do the top of the cake and lid. The top of the cake looks like it have a bit of 'lip'. How would I do that?

The bottom cake looks like it's just a regular fondant-covered cake, so that's no problem.
LL

8 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 9

Looks like just a piece made maybe of modeling chocolate placed on top of the strawberries. HTH.

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 9

it could be gum paste or a large cookie.

ccr03 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 9

sorry I meant the top of the cake - where the strawberries are sitting on. See how it's not like a smooth edge like on the bottom cake?

Good ideas on the lid - I like the giant cookie. It would be death by sugar, but may a giant cookie wrapped in fondant?

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:00am
post #5 of 9

i think it is a cake with chocolate wrap or choco fondant higher than the cake to make a "container look" then the cover can be chocolate or fondant also. imo.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:18am
post #6 of 9

The top cake gives the appearance of a bowl of strawberries. Just carve a little bit of cake out of the middle but make sure you leave a lip around the outer edge so it looks like a bowl. Then cover the cake with whatever you wish and put the strawberries in the "bowl". This way the strawberries will sit a little lower then the outer edge of the cake "bowl".

ccr03 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 9

xstitcher - great idea I think I'll do that. (I LOVE your avatar!!!!)

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 9

I agree w/ xstitcher about the top of the cake but am wondering if the cake is covered in a type of ganache instead of fondant?

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 9

They way I would do it is:

First cover the cake with fondant
Second make a strip of fondant long enough to go around the cake and 1" taller than the original cake.
Wait until the fondant is dried and the edge is nice and stiff.
It will look like a bowl when your done.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%