Topsy Turvy Pan Sizes

Decorating By Cakerer Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 2:03am by Cakerer

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a topsy cake for about 50 people...but I was hoping to start with a 10" bottom then 8 and 6. Anyone ever done those sizes before? Most of the Topsy's I see appear to be 12" or so.

Thanks!

4 replies
underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 5

I did a 10/8/6 topsy turvy. Since it was only my second cake and it was a whole week of experimenting (literally, I used 3 different fondants and 2 different buttercream recipes), I can't say it turned out bad, just got tired of it and never finished decorating. I'm embarrassed, but you can take a look:

www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1341606

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 5

i have made 2 so far and used graduating sizes by 2 inches, 6, 8 and 10. I think next time I will use 3 inch difference for a better look.

khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 5

I just took a class to learn how to do this cake this weekend and varying the pan sizes by 3' was recommended. We did a 12/9/6 but it would work with a 10/7/5.

I think they suggested a 3' variance due to the carving and wanting to make sure you don't weaken the carved edges to much. Some one in my class carved their cake to close to the edge and the cake started to crack.

The method we used was similar to the one in the article section on CC.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:03am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, the lady cancelled the cake...but it's ok, I was really scared! I think I'll try one for my sons birthday...just to get the practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%