Perfectly Spaced Bc Or Ri Dots????

Decorating By forthwife Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm by forthwife

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 13

I've seen a lot of lovely cakes lately with absolutely pefectly spaced RI or BC dots. How on earth does anyone get it so perfect? Do you use a template? A triple diamond cutter as a guide? What??!?!?! Thanks so much for your help!

Arainna Forth

12 replies
Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 13

How funny! I did two cakes with dots this weekend-a 3 tiered wedding cake and a b'day cake. When I do dots, I mentally divide the height of the cake by how many dots I want to put in each column. I know it sounds simplistic, but I do the first row, decide how much space to put between each column, and "eyeball" it. For me, the trick is to have the cake at eye level, so my spatial judgement is as good as possible. Before moving on to the next column, I look for dots that aren't spaced well. If I see any, I pull them off with a toothpick, and re-pipe them. Also, have a perfectly level cake is important. If the height of the cake isn't uniform all the way around, the dots will highlight that. Not that my dots are perfect by any means, but I've been able to get them pretty close! HTH!

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 13

An "Impression Mat" = Perfectly spaced dots! How simple is that!?

forthwife Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 13

Is there a dot impression mat? Thanks!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 13

Earlene has two differently spaced dot impression mats. I believe her website is Earlene's Cakes (not sure).

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 13

I have seen the people on ace of cakes use a ruler to put dots on. But an impression mat sounds way easier!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 13

when you do the actual "dotting" do you actually have to go around and "tap" them down to get rid of the points?
diane

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 13

I use an impression mat, (also good for perfectly spaced dragees) and yes I do go and tap the dots down ::thumbs up::

Oh, mine is Earlene's, but I bought it from Country Kitchen.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 13

i printed out dots at the right spacing on printer paper.. then took a needle and punched through the paper.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 13

that's a super clever idea!

do you just measure around the cake and do the math for the spacing?

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:58am
post #11 of 13

Yep!

I use publisher (its fastest for me). I used it to mark dots like this....

. . . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . . .

And I just made diamonds and put them pt. to pt. It worked great cause i had the exact height I wanted. also you can minimize the overlap on the back of the cakes icon_smile.gif

forthwife Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

i printed out dots at the right spacing on printer paper.. then took a needle and punched through the paper.

Rocketgirl you ROCK! I'm so glad I asked. I'm always amazed at the great ideas on this site! I'm going to give that a shot. Thanks!!!

forthwife Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 13

Hey, is publisher a MS product? If not what other program would work well? Are you just using periods for your dots? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%