Wedding Cake Vent

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 7:37am by juleebug

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 16

I am a newbie, and I have always told people that ask if I bake for public that I am really not good enough yet. But, my son was married this past Saturday, and I just have to tell everyone about their wedding cake.

My new DIL was trying to organize this wedding all by herself. So she found a person that does bake for the public. This person happened to be a friend of my sisters...she quoted a $100 price out of respect for my sister, and it was to be a cake that fed about 75 people.

My DIL let this person tell her how she would make the cake. It was going to be 3 tiers, stacked, covered in fondant. The decorations were simple, fondant strips around the bottom...fondant daisies down the side. She ordered the daisies already made and told my DIL that the fondant would taste good, she was going to order it as well.

I was really thrilled when I first heard about it because (1) the price was FANTASTIC!!! and since I felt as if she was doing as a favor to my sister, it would be a pretty cake.

I walked into the reception hall and at first look.. It was pretty, but as I walked closer, it looked like something that was left over from a wedding!!

First look at the cake, it was leaning. I walked over to it...the fondant was cracking in places. The ribbon around the edges was not even..thick in some places, thin in others. My DIL had purchased her own cake topper and she didn't put it on the top layer, she put it in a small dummy layer.??? I don't know what that was??

Her borders were crooked... The fondant tasted just like Wilton right out of the package. and what was really bad is there were some people complaining that there were pieces of something in the cake itself.

I am so upset over this cake, but dare not say anything to my DIL ...she only took 1 bite, and due to the excitement of the day, she was oblivious to any of this. I would never ruin her day...

BUT... I would have been so ashamed to let a cake of mine go out like that! Thanks for letting me vent, and I just had to " get it out"!!

15 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 16

Wow.... atleast now we know why the cake was so cheap. icon_eek.gif

I wouldn't have let the cake leave my house either if it looked as bad as what you're describing.

Sorry it turned out so horribly for your son and DIL, but atleast they weren't totally focused on it and didn't realize how much of a wreck it was. They were able to concentrate on all of the excitement from the day and focus on each other instead of the less-than-desirable cake.

Maybe the friend of the friend really thought that she could do this- after all, cake decorating is so easy! icon_wink.gif I'm really hoping this was her first cake and she's not a "professional"- so sad.

Rhonda19 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 16

No, Samantha... this was not her first cake. She says she makes cakes all the time I really don't understand it.

To be honest, this person was doing us a favor, because of our small budget... and maybe she felt we would take anything because of it. I had told my DIL when shopping for a cake, to make sure she was honest with them upfront. You know, small budget, small wedding, etc.... There are alot of people who would not have touched a small wedding cake, you know... so I do have to be fair here.

I was just hoping for something a little more....

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda19

No, Samantha... this was not her first cake. She says she makes cakes all the time I really don't understand it.

To be honest, this person was doing us a favor, because of our small budget... and maybe she felt we would take anything because of it. I had told my DIL when shopping for a cake, to make sure she was honest with them upfront. You know, small budget, small wedding, etc.... There are alot of people who would not have touched a small wedding cake, you know... so I do have to be fair here.

I was just hoping for something a little more....

Were you aware of the quality and taste of her cakes to begin with? Just cos she's been making cakes all the time doesn't necessarily mean her cakes are delicious or well made.

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you have a lot of wonderful wedding memories to hold on to make up for this disappointment.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #5 of 16

Did anyone see photos of her previous work or taste any of her cakes?

Sorry you had a bad experience. It unsettles me that some people sell things that are substandard.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:12am
post #6 of 16

I am so sorry about her cake! You would be amazed at how often this happens! We work frequently with almost a dozen reception sites and I hear stories every month about some of the monstrosities that turn up at some weddings, it's sad.

Rhonda19 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 16

"classiccake" ...To answer your question, I had not seen any pictures of her work.

My new DIL was wanting to do everything herself. The DIL works with a woman whose mother makes cakes. SO, that is how it came to be that this person made the cake.

Then about 2 months before the wedding...my sister realized that this person was a pretty good aquaintance of hers. Then a month before the wedding, my sister happened to be in a store that this person happened to be in as well. My sister mentioned that she was making the wedding cake, and oh how this woman gushed!!.... I am giving her such a good price break...and it's going to be just lovely.... I will do such a good job... After all that I truly thought she would do a good job

How naive am I?? You would think I should have learned " Something " after being a member of this website....wouldn't you??

Anyway, its like my mother said....it's water under the bridge. The Bride and Groom didn't realize anything was wrong and next time we will know better! Also.... we certainly won't be recommending this person for anything!!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 16

Rhonda,

Just a question, why didn't you do the cake? I looked at your pictures and it certainly looks like you could have done a nice cake for them.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 16

That's a bummer! I totally agree with Peg though! You should have made the cake!!

Rhonda19 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #10 of 16

You want to know why I didn't do the cake....??? Cuz I was a " BIG FAT CHICKEN"!!!! (LOL)

Seriously, I thought that I would be much too stressed out to even try and do the cake. Though I did want too. My new DIL is estranged from her parents, and I was playing mama to both groom and bride.

Thanks for the confidence though... Peg818 and Cylstrial ! IT means alot for people like you to think I could have done it. I truly have just never thought I was good enough to make cakes for the public.

Oh well....live and learn...

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:47am
post #11 of 16

Rhonda, sorry to hear about the bad wedding cake experience. But I'm glad, like others said, that your son & DIL had a good time.

Don't be afraid to make cakes for the public. Your cakes are beautiful. You have too much potential to let fear stand in your way!

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:22am
post #12 of 16

I too am sorry to hear about this cake disaster! you must have been biting your tongue during the reception!!! I have been embarrassed@times to leave a cake but never ever would leave something that looks noticably horrible! I commend you on NOT saying anything to your DIL & SON ,as to not ruin thier wedding day,that was the right thing to do. At least they had a great time and next time,YOU volunteer to make the cake your work looks great to me.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:44am
post #13 of 16

I think for the price, don't complain. That was pretty much a free cake on her end. They didn't notice, so don't worry.
I think it is great that you didn't make your kids wedding cake. That would have been stressful.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:21pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

I think for the price, don't complain. That was pretty much a free cake on her end. They didn't notice, so don't worry.
I think it is great that you didn't make your kids wedding cake. That would have been stressful.

I mostly agree with this. I don't think a decorator should do sub-standard work because they aren't charging alot but its a little difficult to expect Sylvia Weinstock quality on a Wal-Mart budget.

Also, I'm not trying to be confrontational but I find it interesting that people are saying things against this baker when most of the decorators on here would have laughed at a bride asking for cake for 75 people at that price.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

I mostly agree with this. I don't think a decorator should do sub-standard work because they aren't charging alot but its a little difficult to expect Sylvia Weinstock quality on a Wal-Mart budget.

Also, I'm not trying to be confrontational but I find it interesting that people are saying things against this baker when most of the decorators on here would have laughed at a bride asking for cake for 75 people at that price.

Hey Julee, I sort of agree with you, but disagree on a bit of your point here: "but its a little difficult to expect Sylvia Weinstock quality on a Wal-Mart budget"

IMHO...The thing is, if you don't have the skill to do a certain technique well enough for a wedding cake, then a person should practice it before attempting it.

A wedding cake is SUCH an important thing in a person's special day. I personally only recommend designs that I know I can do with a certain degree of skill. If it is a skill I am still fumbling with, then I practice it on free birthday cakes or cakes for co-workers.

Sylvia Weinstock - great cakes. Worth EVERY penny of the $15 per serving she probably charges for blown sugar balls and perfect white, crisp edges on everything.

The average skillset cake decorator - $3-$5 per serving. Fondant smoothly and evenly applied, fondant or gumpaste decor, etc...

I just think people sometimes take on a project they know they can't handle. I feel someone should be competent in a skill before offering to use that skill on a wedding cake, JMHO.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:37am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

I just think people sometimes take on a project they know they can't handle. I feel someone should be competent in a skill before offering to use that skill on a wedding cake, JMHO.

I agree 100% icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%