First Try With The Projector!

Baking By chilz822 Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm by chilz822

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:49am
post #1 of 16

Check out my photos, I finally got a few minutes to play with the new projector. Boy, now with more detail on the cookies, I can sure tell I need to practice my pressure and consistency (and also how not to accidentally stick my finger in an 'almost dry' cookie)!
Still fun though!
icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 16

Oh, the whole series of cookies looks great! I may have to look into a projector at some point! Did you find it awkward at all to pipe with the light shining down? I am just afraid I would end up blocking the image as it shines down. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

chilz822 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 16

Tracy, I guess I cheated... or did it wrong. I traced with an edible marker under the projectore then piped over my lines! I had no shadow at all, I was worried about that. I turned my lights off in my kitchen so there was no artificial light shining on it, aside from the projector bulb. It worked like a charm.

My 2 problems seem to be with myself. I outlined with a '0' tip and icing that melted at about 6 secs and still the lines seem too thck in places, especially on the sunrise ones. My other problem seems to come in piping tight curved outlines, again on the sunrise ones... I just can't get the icing to bend with me correctly!

Any tips would be appreciated!
All in all, I am very happy with the projector and I'll be using it quite a bit.

pattycakescookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakescookies Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 16

You cookies look great. I was wondering what type of projector you are using.

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 16

Your cookies look fabulous chilz822! The detail is great! I've never used a projector; I'd be interested in hearing more about it as well. (i.e. What kind do you have etc.)
Thanks for sharing! Something else to add to my wishlist lol! icon_redface.gif

chilz822 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 16

i used the Kopykake 300XK. I bought it at an online art supplier and with shipping, saved almost $50 over Kopykake's website pricing... pretty fast shipping, took it 4 days to reach me.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Projectors-and-Lightboxes/KopyKake-Projectors/KopyKake-300XK-Projector.htm

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 16

How Fun!! I have a projector and LOVE it! Your cookies look fantastic! icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 16

Chilz822 - Smart idea with the edible marker! It does sound as though your outlining RI was thinner than you wanted it. I would thicken it a bit next time. Are you using Antonia74's RI? I find that is wonderful. As for issues with tight curved outlines, I would try to play with having your tip closer or farther from the cookie. My guess is that you did this, so I am afraid I am not much help. I myself just practice... a lot! icon_lol.gif

Here is a hint that might help if you thicken your RI a bit and are using a 0 or a 00 tip. Often the smaller tips can clog, so (as odd as this sounds), use a new, clean new knee high stocking! Try not to laugh, but that has saved me from pulling my hair out more than once! You take the new knee high, wash it in dish soap, rinsing very thoroughly and dry it. Put this over a tall glass, pulling the excess over the top so you can easily access the bottom of the stocking. Pour your RI in, twist the top, then put a piece of plastic wrap around that area to protect your hand from any icing as you squeeze the RI through. The stocking catches those little bits that would clog your small tips and makes life SO much easier! icon_biggrin.gif

Regardless of the outlining not turning out as you might have liked, your cookies are really great!! thumbs_up.gif Congrats on your new toy!

sweetopia Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #9 of 16

TracyLH; that is the best tip I've heard for royal icing in a long time!! (I've never heard it before!) What a fabulous idea!! Thanks so much!!

TracyLH Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 16

Glad to help! Trust me, that small step is well worth it! I about lost half my hair, up until 3 a.m. dealing with clogging tips and mentioned the saga at our local cake decorating store. She passed that hint on to me and I spread it around as much as I can in order to prevent further hair loss! icon_lol.gif

sweetopia Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 16

hee hee ... or greying in my case... thumbsdown.gif

TracyLH Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #12 of 16

Right there with you! icon_lol.gif You know you are in denial when you see your first grey hair and think, 'Oh, wow! My hair is actually coming in lighter!" I was aghast when I realized what it was. icon_lol.gif Still laughing at myself over that one!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #13 of 16

Great tip with the ri stocking. That is clever! I am pricing a projector now. My creative wheels are spinning thinking of all the cool stuff I can do with it!

sweetopia Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:32pm
post #14 of 16

Ha ha! I wish it was just coming in lighter! It's been a while since I've seen my 'first one' ... now they're coming in little groups. icon_cry.gif
Oh well, maybe they won't now with your advice. icon_biggrin.gif

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 16

never thought about the projector. I'll have to try that one!

It's not just grey or white hair, ladies, it's wisdomicon_wink.gif

chilz822 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #16 of 16

I earned every flippin' one of my grays and I pay good money to have the darned things hidden!
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%