What's Up With The Royal Icing?

Baking By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm by imamommy1205

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:42am
post #1 of 3

I am very familiar with the Glace icing--I love it and use it all the time. I had a cookie order for brown bears wearing jackets. I wanted some "fur" details on the neck, sleeve and bottom of the jacket so I figured I would try using royal icing for the details and get a faster dry time.

I used Glace icing for the bear body and let it dry all day. Then I used royal to outline the jacket and then thinned the royal (with a few drops of cold water) and filled in the different jacket colors.

The cookies were due at noon and when I got up this morning the jackets I had flooded purple were still wet! All of the other colors (blue, yellow, green and white) were dry and beautiful. All I could think of to do was cover the purple with purple sugar. I sprinkled them heavily and pressed over it with wax paper and kept doing that until there were no wet spots exposed.

This worked so that I could stack and deliver them, but I wasn't very happy that some of the bears had sparkly jackets LOL

I attached a picture--sorry it is through the plastic--I was in a hurry to get them delivered!

Any ideas what cold have gone wrong so I don't have this happen again?
LL

2 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 3

hmm.... maybe too much purple food coloring made it take longer to set?

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 3

I had a problem like this with my royal icing bc I had to put so much more food coloring in them mixing blue and red. Maybe that was your problem too? So same thing as the above poster said.

And btw..I think they came out great icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%