Teapot

Decorating By vmertsock Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm by jammjenks

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 8

I have a potential order for a small teapot cake and was hoping for a few pointers. I was thinking of stacking a 6/8/8/6 and carving it into a round ish shape then making the handle, spout and top out of gumpste. Does this sound reasonable? I'd love tips from anyone whose done this before or just has any ideas how best to do it. Thanks!

7 replies
MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:06am
post #2 of 8

I made a teapot cake (see it in my pics) with the Wilton ball pan. It's only 6 inches across, so may not be enough for what you need? But it worked great. Used buttercream to get the two halves to stay together. I made my handle/spout/lid out of fondant/gumpaste, and made the spout with a scewer in it...because it was so heavy, I wanted to be sure it would go far into the cake, at a downward angle, then I also used royal icing to get it to stick, for stability. If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to offer advice if I can be of help.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:06am
post #3 of 8

That sounds pretty reasonable. I just made one this past weekend and I used the sports ball pan. it worked well. I am not sure how many servings that you need but for me carving is not something that I am good at so I try to stay far away from it.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:18am
post #4 of 8

I also used the ball pan to make teapot cake. Since I wasn't sure if that would be enough servings, I used the mini wonder mold pan to make tea cups.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 8

I have one in my photos and used the ball pan too, but I put it on a round single layer to get more servings. it kinda looked like it was on a table.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:30am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

I have one in my photos and used the ball pan too, but I put it on a round single layer to get more servings. it kinda looked like it was on a table.

I did the same thing, mines that nice. But it was the first time I tried it so I guess it worked atleast she loved it. Less carving really if you do it this way.

lalaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalaine Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #7 of 8

i made one last year, see my pics. used the ball pan that holds one cake mix, so i made 2 cakes and glued them together to make one round. spout made of fondant but it was so heavy. i attached a dowel and it stayed in, but was scary. next time i'll make it out of rice krispies so its lighter. handle made of fondant also. spout was so thick i had to make it 5 days in advance so it would dry.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 8

I made one a while back by using the wonder mold pan. It was more of a tea kettle than a teapot since it had a flat bottom. The customer was picking it up, so I wanted it to be as stable as possible.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1329615

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%