So Mad At Myself!

Business By tootie0809 Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm by tootie0809

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 6

I've just done what I said I'd never do, and that is undercharging on a cake. Okay, so this is my first wedding cake, and I'm very excited to do it, but I blurted out a price before I thought long enough about it and now I'm not kicking myself over it. I keep telling myself it is my first wedding cake and that she is getting a good deal because of it, but still, I've been mad at myself all week because of it. GRRR!! Okay just had to vent. Thanks for listening! icon_smile.gif BTW, it's a 3-tier, 12-9-6, cake with fresh flowers in between tiers (I'm not doing the flowers, the florist is). The design is pretty simple, it's covered in coconut shavings with a simple fondant band around the middle of each tier with a royal icing piped design on the ribbon. I'm charging $175.00. I know, I know.......
(hanging head in shame).

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #2 of 6

Oh My God icon_surprised.gif Oh well, you know what you did, so you won't repeat the mistake! Sorry you're kicking yourself now, but I'm sure you're punishing yourself more than we could icon_lol.gif

The one thing that I'd suggest you do is make sure the bride knows she's getting a "discount" somehow. Does she know it's your first wedding cake? If she does you can tell her that you're giving her a reduced rate. You don't want her telling all of her friends to come to you for a cheap cake!

tootie0809 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #3 of 6

Yeah, I have to make sure I tell her in a more direct way that the only reason she's gotten this price was because it's my first wedding cake. I actually was thinking of being honest and telling her I misquoted her on the price, but that I am standing by that price because that was my fault, not hers, but also letting her know this wouldn't be the normal price. Yeah, live and learn. I won't do that again for sure!!! icon_smile.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:52am
post #4 of 6

oh well...we've all done it...it's not that bad, think of it this way, you'll get a pic for your portfolio out of it....

i've done way worse than that...it's a waste of energy to be mad at yourself....think of it as good karma....now you'll get a good deal on something when you need it.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 6

Littlecake is right. This will be a great cake for your portfolio. We are looking forward to your cake photo post.

-Debbie B. icon_biggrin.gif

tootie0809 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks all! I don't feel so terrible now, and you're right, I will have a great photo for my portfolio. I figured my costs on it, and I will make a small profit on it, so I am taking it as good practice and a lesson learned. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%