Decorating By cakeladyofga Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 8:44pm by sebrina

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm
post #31 of 42

You need a blacklight for it to glow.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:02pm
post #32 of 42

Quinine is bitter so using it in pure medicinal form would probably make the cake glow like a firefly but it would taste horrible. Tonic water is a great idea. Enough to make it glow a bit under a black light but not enough to alter the taste too much.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:51pm
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Quinine won't hurt you... it is edible and safe to consume. It was actually used to treat Malaria back before antibiotics took over. Pretty brilliant idea really, though I thought the effect was a bit too subdued.

Actually, quinine is linked to deafness in some (rare?) cases. Not sure how much you have to consume, but we know a family living in Africa who needed to use quinine for their young son and he lost his hearing. I've also heard that quinine was a successful treatment for restless leg syndrome and doctors either no longer prescribe it or are hesitant to do so.

I'm assuming the quantities necessary for any sort of harm are quite large, but quinine is no longer considered completely safe. icon_smile.gif

so THAT'S why I sleep like a baby after a few gin & tonics icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #34 of 42

It's a muscle relaxer... icon_wink.gif

I agree that if you used a bunch of it it would make your cake taste horrid... straight nasty. I don't thikn you can get it easily here in the states other than in tonic water, but I admit that I've never sought it out. I know that I will be doing some experimenting. icon_biggrin.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

It's a muscle relaxer... icon_wink.gif

I agree that if you used a bunch of it it would make your cake taste horrid... straight nasty. I don't thikn you can get it easily here in the states other than in tonic water, but I admit that I've never sought it out. I know that I will be doing some experimenting. icon_biggrin.gif

I've been trying to think how to make a tonic piping gel as well

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:32am
post #36 of 42

My drink of choice used to be gin and tonic. It never once occurred to me the pretty color was because of the tonic.

I think she just added tonic water to the piping gel and that's why Kerry Vincent was skeptical. There isn't a lot of quinine in tonic water. So I shall be experimenting myself to find this magic formula.

I loved the way it showed the details.

ThisNameInUse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThisNameInUse Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:44am
post #37 of 42

I thought Mary had said she just added the tonic water to the piping gel.

It was dripping a bit when they showed her piping it...so I guess you'd just add enough tonic water to it that you were still able to pipe with it and just expect it to be on the thin side.

mousey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mousey Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:58am
post #38 of 42

Has anyone tried the tonic water with piping gel, yet? Curious to know if it worked out.
Also, is quinine something that would be safe for children to consume?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #39 of 42

Anything protein (like peanut butter) will glow under black light. Anything white will shine nicely, as well. We use it all the time in the haunted houses.

circus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
circus Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:04pm
post #40 of 42

Hey do any of you know if it would work to just lightly brush or spray a fondant cake with tonic water to make it glow? Not too much to make it gooey of course...

Mallycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mallycake Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:53am
post #41 of 42

http://www.ehow.com/how_5939164_make-glow-dark-piping-gel.html

Here I have found two alternatives.

I will be doing some experiments tonight, I will keep you posted on the outcomes!!

Also there is another forum where someone explains how to get certain colors... very scientific, but very interesting also.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-655941-.html

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:44pm
post #42 of 42

Hmm... Did anyone ever get this to work? I'd love to make the cake I am working on glow!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%