Glow In The Dark Cake??

Decorating By cakeladyofga Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 8:44pm by sebrina

cakeladyofga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyofga Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 42

Ok I'm watching food networks cake challenge 3. Mary used some kind of glow the dark icing?! icon_eek.gif I didn't catch what she used. Does anyone know?? It only glows under a black light. Maybe tonic water?
TIA

41 replies
sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 42

No idea..but it's kinda frightening to think anything truely glow in the dark is edible. The closest i've done to glow in the dark 'looking' is icing a cookie is really black icing and then piping on it with neon green.
I'm curious what they used too.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #3 of 42

I think they said it was the quinine in the tonic water that caused the glow.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #4 of 42

quinine glows in the dark under blacklight, apparently. I don't know if it worked as my DVR started misbehaving and so I have to wait til the pacific airing later tonight

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 42

Kerry Vincent said she didn't think there was a strong enough concentration of quinine in the tonic water for it to work, but it looked pretty good to me.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #6 of 42

I'd like to know too. My wife decided to call her mom just as they were talking about what was being used.

cakeladyofga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyofga Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #7 of 42

Thanks everyone. Thats what I thought. Tonic water and what looks like piping gel.

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #8 of 42

I missed the last few minutes. Can you tell me who got kicked off?

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:09am
post #9 of 42

OK, I'm not putting quinine in my icing.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:32am
post #10 of 42

Yep, that's what she used...tonic water in piping gel. They turned off the bright stage lights, and voila-firefly glow! It didn't glow really brightly, but the glow was there, and may have been distorted by the studio lights.
You can bet I'll give this a try icon_wink.gif!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:46am
post #11 of 42

Is the quinine already in the tonic water, or did she add it? I missed the show tonight...our company just wouldn't leave!

deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:48am
post #12 of 42

James was eliminated. He and Bronwen had 30 minutes to decorate a cake out of what was in the box.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:48am
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle3264

I missed the last few minutes. Can you tell me who got kicked off?

James got kicked off...thats too bad cause I was rooting for him to win!!!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:49am
post #14 of 42

kjt~ please let me know how it turns out if you try this! I'm not a fan of piping get as it looks like slime to me.

If you do try this, please portion it out so I know exactly how much you used of everything to be able to pipe it. Thank you so much!

Mary had to have used a ton of gel as it was pipeable.

Glad she got on. Sad James had to leave. Shame on him for that crappy 30 min. cake he did. He should have known Bronwen could pull it off fast. Poor James. Wish he could have stayed.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:04pm
post #15 of 42

I think this is what saved her somewhat, I was disappointed to see that the globe fell out of her figures hand. And she wasnt prepared!!! These people are amazing to such all this talent, I see them and think...wow!!! I will never be able to do that.

But then again, I never was able to ice a cake before in my life and now I think Ive come along way in just 2yrs. starting this and only 8mos really getting into this. and I love it!!!! Im hooked. No Intrevention needed here.

so is the show over now? I mean James got kicked off after the 30min challenge.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:26pm
post #16 of 42

jen1977 ~ tonic water contains quinine

vickymacd ~ will do, I use gel for a water effect and sometimes for windows
No kidding about the shabby icing job James did
icon_confused.gif I feel like he just gave up thumbsdown.gif

vickymacd Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm
post #17 of 42

I agree, he looked like he gave up. And he knew it right from the start by the comment he made about being so tired. Bronwen jumped on that!
Sad if you think about it, as the idea is the best cake decorator, but that isn't about FAST decorating. So James is out because he's not fast with the piping bag. He's more meticulous. Oh well, who am I?

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:56pm
post #18 of 42

I think he purposefully didn't try as hard because he felt on this challenge he was the one 'behind'. I mean, he was supposed to do the super hero and then asked Bronwen to do the face. one of the criticisms on the cake was that it wasn't a sculpted hero - which was his and so on.... I think it was the more sportsmanlike thing to do - he knew he was the 'bottom' of the two and bowed out.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #19 of 42

Quinine won't hurt you... it is edible and safe to consume. It was actually used to treat Malaria back before antibiotics took over. Pretty brilliant idea really, though I thought the effect was a bit too subdued.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #20 of 42

Yeah, they said 'tonic water and piping gel' several times toward the end of the show. And for those of you afraid of the 'quinine.....I'm a nurse practitioner, and quinine has been around for years and years. It has, until fairly recently, been prescribed----straight!!---for different types of muscle pains. So hearing that last night didn't shock or phase me at all! icon_wink.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:14pm
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Quinine won't hurt you... it is edible and safe to consume. It was actually used to treat Malaria back before antibiotics took over. Pretty brilliant idea really, though I thought the effect was a bit too subdued.

Actually, quinine is linked to deafness in some (rare?) cases. Not sure how much you have to consume, but we know a family living in Africa who needed to use quinine for their young son and he lost his hearing. I've also heard that quinine was a successful treatment for restless leg syndrome and doctors either no longer prescribe it or are hesitant to do so.

I'm assuming the quantities necessary for any sort of harm are quite large, but quinine is no longer considered completely safe. icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm
post #22 of 42

ziggytarheal~ you just completely confused me.
Is it safe or not? Would trying it with the piping gel be harmful? Or not?
Sorry, I got confused.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:27pm
post #23 of 42

I'm sorry!

Here's the wikipedia article on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinine

I don't tend to scare too easily, so I personally wouldn't worry a bit about a small amount on some icing on a cake. There are many things out there that can harm some people under certain circumstances. Just wanted to mention it for those who might be interested!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #24 of 42

Okay first of all...BRONWEN--come on. She is the best, obviously. I can't believe she keeps getting snuffed out. I am hoping for a great comeback for her next week.

I do not want Mary to win.

But the glow in the dark was cool--super cool.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #25 of 42

The amount found in tonic water will not hurt you. I'm sure if you ate it by the pound you'd be in for some harm, but they wouldn't be putting it in the tonic water if it was going to harm you. Using it as a medicine would require much larger quantities than what you find in tonic water.

I'm sure there are rare cases of just about anything hurting someone in some way... even water can be harmful in mass quanities. icon_smile.gif

justfrosting Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm
post #26 of 42

I still don't get it completely. Do you need a black light? Or is it just exposure to regular light and then turn them off and it will glow?

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #27 of 42

Ok, so when you go to a bar and order a gin and tonic, if there is a black light around it will glow, the amount in the tonic water is very little, and completely safe, ppl have been drinking this for years and. I think it was a cool idea tho, might have to try that for my stargate cake in june, the venue is a bar and i know they have blacklights. Tonic water will not glow in reg lights. U can buy tonic water in your grocery store in the drink aisle, in the mixed drink section.

Cables4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cables4fun Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #28 of 42

Does anyone know hoe we can find out the porportions needed to gain the effect? I wish we could find out!! I would love to try it, but I don't want to waste or buy the wrong stuff....unfortunately, I am famous for that, or so my husband says!! Haha!!

If anyone can find out or tell me how, PLEASE let me know!!

Thank you all,
Lauri

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #29 of 42

I'm wondering if you could put tonic water in an airbrush and give a whole cake a light spray. You might need to stir out all the bubbles first. I wish I ha a black light so I could give it a try.

justfrosting Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm
post #30 of 42

My son's birthday is next week. Star Wars cake. I am going to try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%