Removing Cornstarch From Chocolate Fondant

Decorating By jmr53 Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm by milissasmom

jmr53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr53 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 11

How do I get cornstarch off chocolate fondant after I have covered a cake? I know that steaming the cake removes the dusty look left from the cornstarch, but I don't have a steamer. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

10 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 11

Have you tried using a small dab of shortening and lightly rubbing it into the cake (this of course is after you have brushed off as much as you can first).

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Have you tried using a small dab of shortening and lightly rubbing it into the cake (this of course is after you have brushed off as much as you can first).

I've tried doing this with chocolate or dark colored MMF, and it just looks greasy to me. I'd love to hear other ideas on this!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 11

The Crisco soaks into the fondant giving it a good look, not a greasy look. It looks greasy at the beginning until it soaks in.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 11

I paint mine with vodka. Some people airbrush the whole thing with vodka, but I don't have an airbrush.

OR you could try rolling out on cocoa, or cornstarch/cocoa mixture...

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

The Crisco soaks into the fondant giving it a good look, not a greasy look. It looks greasy at the beginning until it soaks in.

Yes it will look shiny at first but the fondant will begin to absorb it.

Thanks bob, I forgot to mention that! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 11

Also you can mix dark cocoa powder with the cornstarch in a separate puff and use that on chocolate fondant -- it won't show the white powder like pure cornstarch will.

jmr53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr53 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:40am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I tried the shortening idea and it worked out well. At first I was concerned with the greasy look, but the fondant did absorb it after a while.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 11

I paint all of my fondant cakes with water and a pastry brush. It makes it sticky, but it makes it really easy to attach decorations icon_biggrin.gif and it looks cleaner to me. It will take a few hours for it to dry though.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 11

I saw on Ace of Cakes they spray their cakes with vodka using an airbursh. I'm sure brushing it on or maybe using a spray bottle would work.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 11

I was gonna suggest the dab of Crisco too. Works like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%