Green Gum Paste Dry??

Decorating By gerripje Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 2:09am by tonedna

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 13

Is it just me or is there something about green coloring that dries out gum paste? I use Nicholas Lodge recipe for gum paste and the Wilton colors, moss green.
I tried not adding as much, but again, my gum paste dried out and I can't form my leaves very well.
What should I do instead? I haven't had very good results painting the leaves, they are streaky. Thanx for any suggestions!! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 13

Nick says that some of the darker colors--greens, browns, black,....contain charcoal and it does dry out the gum paste faster. His advice is to knead in a little bit of egg white to loosen up the paste.

HTH
Rae

gerripje Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 13

Oh thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I thought nice fresh gum paste was the answer, but it was dry and brittle too!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #4 of 13

Have you tried crisco to soften it? Are you using too much cornstarch? I use moss green all the time and I don't have an issue with it.
Edna

gerripje Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:47am
post #5 of 13

I don't end up using any cornstarch, and use a little crisco at first to get it pliable. I suppose I just don't have much time to work with before it becomes crumbly and won't bend or shape very nicely.

tonedna Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:09am
post #6 of 13

If it dries up add more crisco, the crisco helps for it to stay more workable. Are you covering it well?

gerripje Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 13

I have one of those practice boards that came in the Wilton gum paste flower kit. I think maybe I am just too slow when it comes to my leaves. I tried picking up the speed a little (after kneading some crisco and covering my work surface very lightly) and got some shape into the leaf. I may be rolling it too thin? I use the very last setting, #7, on my hand crank pasta maker.

tonedna Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 13

Yes...dont do too many leaves at a time, specially if you move slow..Definitively go to a higher setting. I would do a 5. Eventually you'll start moving faster and can cut more, but for now cut less until you get used to it..
Edna icon_smile.gif

gerripje Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 13

Thanx Edna! We're sure lucky to have you around here!!

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #10 of 13

No, No! If you add a lot of crisco to Nick's recipe, you'll only have more trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too much crisco throws the whole thing off balance!!!

Please, his direct advice from his class is to add EGG WHITE--ONLY!

Rae

tonedna Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:25am
post #11 of 13

We are not talking about obscene amounts of crisco. Just enough to soften it. Nicolas do that all the time..
Edna

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:00am
post #12 of 13

Actually, if you knead in "just a little crisco" every time you ready your paste for rolling, or everytime you think that it's a little dry, and you put some on your board "every once in awhile", you can eventually get too much into the paste.

The crisco adds grease, but it's the egg white that adds moisture. If the 2 are well balanced, the paste will act the way it's supposed to for a longer period of time.

My practice board is so well used, that it's cupped a bit, so the edges don't "seal" very well. If I have several items in it, the ones near the edges get dry faster.

When I have a lots of things made that I want to keep flexible, I put a barely damp piece of paper towel flat in a ziploc bag and put the practice board on top of that in the bag. I then sit the pieces inside and on top of the board and zip the bag shut. I've been able to keep things pliable for several days this way--just make certain that the paper towel isn't too wet.

HTH
Rae

tonedna Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:09am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

My practice board is so well used, that it's cupped a bit, so the edges don't "seal" very well. If I have several items in it, the ones near the edges get dry faster.

HTH
Rae

That is so true!...I am wondering too if the gumpaste is too dry to begin with. I know I live in Florida and my gumpaste recipe turns out perfect. But Sugarshack said once that she has to add less sugar to her recipe cause it turns out to be like a rock and too dry.

I know for a fact that the thiner the gumpaste the faster you need to work. And the board not sealing well wont help. I know the majority of my students at the beginning tend to forget that gumpaste need to be sealed well so it wont dry, cause when is starts drying its more difficult to work with.

Too much cornstarch will dry it. I have taken a courses with Nicolas and he uses crisco everytime he rolls the gumpaste. He just uses a dab of it.
I never had problems doing this. But is good to know about the eggwhites if I ever have an issue like that..
Edna thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%