Fondant

Baking By kimmyboo925 Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 3:01pm by tonedna

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 13

I have never applied fondant to cookies yet. Can anyone explain exactly how to do this. I am decorating star cookies on sticks. When do I apply the fondant. How does this taste compared to the antonia 74 icing? will the cookies be chewy???

12 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 13

I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF all the time on my cookies. I do a couple of things that I think makes working with fondant easier. I went to JoAnns and got a yard of heavy clear vinyl (12 gauge) and cut it into 12 inch squares. I grease the square with Crisco, wipe it off with a paper napkin, put some fondant on it, dust the fondant with a little corn starch, and roll the fondant with a silicone rolling pin. I cut out the fondant, using the same cutter I used to cut out the cookie. I let the cutouts sit for maybe 10 or 15 minutes, using that time mostly to roll out and cut some more. I find that leaving it sit helps with the handling, it dries a bit and is more manageable. The small vinyl square lets you peel the fondant off, like a label, it doesn't distort quite as much. I don't do very many cookies at a time, maybe a dozen or so before I start the process over.

I use thinned Karo syrup (ratio: 2-3 parts water to 1 part Karo) to adhere the fondant to the cookie. I brush it on with a fairly good size artist brush. This adheres the fondant to the cookie nicely. HTH and if you have any questions do not hesitate to pm me.

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. I will try it out.. I have never used MMF.. I was going to try satin ice for the first time ... as i usually used wilton but since everyone says satin ice is better... I just orded a whole bunch... cant wait to taste that....

linedancer Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 13

You are welcome, happy cookie making!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for the ideas. Linedancer! I have not yet played with fondant, but am going to try in the future. Thanks for your very helpful hints! icon_smile.gif

linedancer Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 13

You're welcome TracyLH. I truly admire your work, my piping skills are not very good, and I have no luck with the glaces and RI. But I do very much enjoy working with the fondant and seem to have a knack for it. So I go where my skills lead me icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:36am
post #7 of 13

I think that is one of the great things about this site - that we each have something to learn from one another about something new to us. Thanks again for your help! icon_smile.gif

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the tips! I have also been very scared to use fondant but have always wanted to try. Now it's next on my list! Thanks!

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 13

You can also put fondant cutouts on cookies that come right out of the oven...it kind of 'glues' them on...then you don't need the corn syrup. I wait until the fondant covered cookie has cooled a little bit ( 5-8 min) and take a large rubber stamp with a pretty design or texture and stamp down on the fondant. If you do it before the cookie has cooled, the stamp image won't stay...it melts back in.
Then you can use luster dust or add decorations.
Have fun with it !

linedancer Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 13

I have all I can handle when I bake cookies, so I have not tried to put the fondant on while they are still warm. It sounds like it would work though. I like to use lots of different things to impress the fondant, I have some patchwork embossers, a basketweave rolling pin, I use cake decorating tips, about whatever I think will give me the effect I want. It is funny how you look at things differently when you are a cookie addict icon_lol.gif

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:43pm
post #11 of 13

I also put the fondant on my cookies while they're still hot from the oven. Then, after they sit a few minutes, I do any number of things to them ... add additional fondant accents (which stick to the gooey warm base fondant), "draw" lines on them with a fondant tool or cutting wheel, texture them with piping tips ... it's lots of fun coming up with new things.

I'm been goofing around with texture sheets or rolling pins lately, putting patterns onto the fondant, cutting it out and then putting the cutouts on the warm cookies. I haven't really had a problem with the patterns fading ... maybe it helps if you let the fondant cutouts sit a little before using them.

My go-to sugar cookie recipe has to chill for an hour or more before being used, so that's when I do my fondant cutouts. I have them set up on my dining room table on wax paper with plastic wrap over them. Sometimes it takes more than an hour, though, if you have lots of extra little fondant details to cut out or form!

Good luck. Fun, isn't it? icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 13

I like that idea of attaching the fondant while the cookie is hot. Between the gelatin and the sugar melting, it forms a glue all by itself, right?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 13

Yes Theresa, that's the reason why is added while hot. So you dont have to use anything else to bond the fondant.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%