Buttercream That Last At Room Temperature

Decorating By cherryz Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 11:54am by underthesun

cherryz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherryz Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:09am
post #1 of 5

i am a beginner in cake decorating. Can anyone share a buttercream icing that wont melt at room temperature and will last for even a day?[/i]

4 replies
aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:15am
post #2 of 5
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:11am
post #3 of 5

indydebis buttercream lasts really well.
i use one, with twice as much powdered sugar as butter (ie: 10oz butter, 20 oz icing sugar),a bit of milk and a bit of flavouring.
xx

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:21am
post #4 of 5

Buttercream icing will not melt at room temperature unless the room is quite warm actually closer to hot. The melt point of both butter and shortening is higher than the typical room temperature. Recipes made with butter will melt at a lower temperature than those made with shortening. There are several recipes that are popular here and will last out of the fridge for days if not weeks.

Indydebi's recipe and Sugarshack's recipe are both shortening based and very popular here.

I use a recipe by Serious_Cakes that is half shortening and half butter. It is delicious. I have not had problems with it in heat or high humidity. I actually tested it once by piping some shapes and leaving it outside for several hours. I live on Guam, so the temp was 85ish and nearly 80% humidity. It held up perfectly.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:54am
post #5 of 5

I agree with vstar. I use Serious Cakes recipe. I live in Florida and do not have a problem with it holding up. I have taken her advice and now only add 5TBl heavy cream and 2 Tbl corn syrup. The consistency works better for me in the humidity. Utube video and recipe. Click on more info at the site and she has the recipe written out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLcCbN2I4xI&NR=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%