First Disaster--Mortified!

Decorating By Jessica1817 Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm by lardbutt

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:00am
post #1 of 28

I delivered a wedding cake late this afternoon with tapered sides. The bride had brought me a topper that sits on the edge of the tier, and wanted it on the middle tier (3-tiered cake). Well, I told her I wasn't sure how secure it would be on the tapered sides and since it was heavy, but would test it on a different cake and see. I tried it last week on a different cake and it didn't move. Well, I delivered the cake and about 1/2 hour later called to check my messages. The FOB called to say the topper had fallen and taken a chunk with it. Apparently the caterers tried to smooth out the icing, then place the topper on the top tier. Then they decided to move the cake table, so the topper fell off again, taking another chunk out. I smoothed out the best I could, but we had to use the back of the cake which drove me crazy (the quilt didn't match up in the back, etc)!! The FOB was really nice and understanding, but really wanted the topper back on the cake. I got it on top of the bottom tier and waited abut 30 minutes, but had to leave right before the reception started. The caterers were nice and asked for extra icing in case it fell again, but I'm a wreck. The back of the cake is not as pretty as the front, and what if the music gets going and it falls off again??? I think I'm going to call the FOB tomorrow afternoon and see how everything went.
I tried to attach the photos but it says its too big....ugh

27 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #2 of 28

First of all let me tell you this disaster was NOT YOUR fault.

The cake was set up and doing fine until the caterers decided to move it and the table. That's what caused the disaster.

Don't you dare do any type of refund!! I'd explain the cause to the FOB or whomever paid for the cake and let them collect from the caterers!

k33bl3r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k33bl3r Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:54am
post #3 of 28

You could always photobucket the pictures. Cause now I want to see the cake. lol.

I have to agree with the first responder in that it was not your fault, it was the caterers fault. There was probably NO REASON to move the cake in the first place.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:55am
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

First of all let me tell you this disaster was NOT YOUR fault.

The cake was set up and doing fine until the caterers decided to move it and the table. That's what caused the disaster.

Don't you dare do any type of refund!! I'd explain the cause to the FOB or whomever paid for the cake and let them collect from the caterers!

AGREED!

And just open your pic in MS paint and go to Images and then stretch/skew and narrow it down. If I use a pic from my digital camera I usually end up scaling it down to 30%. Just put 30 in both boxes and hit ok. Then you can save it and post it.

OK OK...I want to see it ok. icon_biggrin.gif

sweet_creations96818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_creations96818 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #5 of 28

I agree no where near your fault....but I would like to see the pics too!

Jessica1817 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:06am
post #6 of 28

I don't have MS Paint, but here is the link for photobucket:
http://s641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/steadmanjpjb/?action=view¤t=029.jpg

The topper on the middle tier is before, on the bottom tier is after. According to the caterers it fell before they moved the table, then they stuck it on top, then moved the table and it fell again. The DJ seemed to have the same story. I just notice the cake is broken off the topper in the after picture.....ugh.....apparently the bride was really attached to this topper!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:13am
post #7 of 28

I posted this for someone else a little while ago, so I'll lift it word for word...(your cake was beautiful by the way).

If your photos are too large they won't go through...I just had that happen when I posted a pic on the Helmet Tips thread.

Go to http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ ...and right on their first page (scroll down a little), you'll see where you have to 1. choose a photo from your computer...2. choose a pixel size (I chose 600 to be safe, 800 is the size for CC)...leave 3 & 4 as they are, and click 5. RESIZE

When your new photo appears...right-click and save it to your computer, then you'll be able to use it in a post.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:43am
post #8 of 28

Whatever happened, your cake still looked lovely.NO REFUNDS--It wasn't your fault!!!

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:46am
post #9 of 28

Don't feel too bad. Your only fault was not telling them that the topper was a horrible idea and explaining to them what could happen. Those toppers are ridiculous and whoever came up with the idea of creating something heavy to sit on the weakest (and completely unsupported) part of the cake is an idiot. Sometimes the people that design cake toppers amaze me with their ignorance!

In all likelihood, the majority of bakers that use a softer cake would have experienced the exact same problem. If I put that topper on one of our cakes, it would have fallen off and screwed up the cake too.

It's tough to tell a bride that something they have selected isn't going to work but sometimes it is completely necessary.

I know it sucks to have it happen to you, but the best thing to do is chalk it up to a learning experience and know that you will never let an incidence like this happen to you again!

Best of luck!

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:01am
post #10 of 28

I agree with everyone else. This was not your fault, no refund. Just want to add that it was a very nice design.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:20am
post #11 of 28

Microsoft has an EXCELLENT free program that is super easy to use and you just download it from the website for resizing images. Once you install it, you just right click on your image and select resize picture. It gives you 3 screen resolution sizes and then makes a duplicate copy of the image at the lower resolution. It has made my life so much easier!
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:21pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

Apparently the caterers tried to smooth out the icing, then place the topper on the top tier. Then they decided to move the cake table, so the topper fell off again, taking another chunk out.

I'm INCENSED for you!!! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gif What gave them the right to TOUCH YOUR CAKE?!?!

This is NOT your fault, any refund should come from the caterers!!!

Gail

P.S. I wanted to add your cake is beautiful!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:37pm
post #13 of 28

Not your fault at all

Jessica1817 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:39pm
post #14 of 28

Thanks so much for the encouragement, my stomach was in knots all night! All I can see is how the quilt design doesn't match up in the after picture icon_redface.gif I'm going to call the FOB this afternoon to see how everything went, and will update!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailsgoodies

Quote:
Quote:

Apparently the caterers tried to smooth out the icing, then place the topper on the top tier. Then they decided to move the cake table, so the topper fell off again, taking another chunk out.

I'm INCENSED for you!!! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gif What gave them the right to TOUCH YOUR CAKE?!?!

This is NOT your fault, any refund should come from the caterers!!!

Gail

P.S. I wanted to add your cake is beautiful!

Well no wait, the caterers were doing a favor, doing a good thing to try to redeem the quality of the cake for everyone--the cake belongs to the bride & groom.

The caterers as well as every other vendor have a vested interest in having the nicest wedding possible. There's nothing wrong with them trying to fix it since the caker was not on site at the time.

Now I say to my brides that the cake table has to be the first one ready and I am not responsible if the cake is moved from that spot.

I agree that the problem was the mutually exclusive tapered sides and topper sitting on the ledge~no brainer. I mean you're lucky it did not crack the cake itself huh.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #16 of 28

Oh but what I wanted to say is the quilt part is actually genius--it's right in the middle like you wanted it random-y there~no worries~beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that's a gorgeous cake.

Jessica1817 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #17 of 28

I spoke with the FOB, and the topper stayed put the rest of the evening thumbs_up.gif He said everything went fine, thanked me for returning to fix the cake, and said everyone commented on how delicious the cake was. As the baker I of course am not completely happy about the final appearance of the cake, but am glad everyone thought it tasted good!! Thanks so much for all of your compliments and support, I love CC icon_biggrin.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 28

I think the cake is beautiful and am sorry that happened, it doesnt spound like he's asking for any refund, so no worries. If you feel really guilty you could always send them a "coupon" for a free 6" cake for a future event or something of that nature...just a thought.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #19 of 28

Agree w/everyone - but....... especially piceofcakeaz. She is so right on w/her comments.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 28

so sorry this happend to you but your cake is absolutely beautiful!!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:39am
post #21 of 28

Just a note to let you know your cake turned out beautiful. I'm glad the family loved the cake.

-Debbie B. icon_biggrin.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:58am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Agree w/everyone - but....... especially piceofcakeaz. She is so right on w/her comments.

"She's a man, baby"!

icon_biggrin.gif

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:32am
post #23 of 28

Beautiful cake! Disasters or not! icon_biggrin.gif

However... am I the only one who is surprised you didn't put a little support under that topper? icon_confused.gif Obviously no need to major doweling or anything, but I would have put something under it for sure! Actually I keep a box of "milkshake" straws (red, slightly bigger/stronger than regular straws, but much smaller than bubble tea straws) on had just for supporting toppers and mini tiered cakes. I probably would have used two for that topper.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad!!! We all have our "oops" moments! I wouldn't even call this a disaster considering how amazing the final "messed-up" cake still looks! I too think the quilting line could be seen as "intentional."

Again... Gorgeous cake! thumbs_up.gif But next time... support the topper. I forgot on a cake I did for a contest a few weeks ago... cold SMBC tricked me into forgetting that the cake would be soft a few hours, and the topper was heavy... top tier crack. Doh! icon_redface.gif

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:13am
post #24 of 28

I would love to know how to support the topper set on the tapered side as the OP's cake.
Can we put the support on an angle?
Anybody has done this?

Because similar accident happened to me as well, luckly it was a birthday cake for 2 year old.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:21am
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscake

I would love to know how to support the topper set on the tapered side as the OP's cake.
Can we put the support on an angle?
Anybody has done this?

Because similar accident happened to me as well, luckly it was a birthday cake for 2 year old.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like the sides of the OP's cake aren't tapered TOO steeply, and the topper sits far enough back that it would possible to add some support under the back edge of the topper, just far enough from the edge of the cake for the supports to clear the tapered part. (does that make sense? I wish I could draw a diagram... icon_rolleyes.gif)
If that isn't the case (or for future cakes), then I personally would have no problem telling the customer that what they wanted was simply not possible. I'd explain why, and let them know that they would either have to choose a different topper, or have a tier of the cake with less/no tapering on the sides so the topper could be properly supported. JMHO thumbs_up.gif

Jessica1817 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:35pm
post #26 of 28

Actually the topper had a support about 2 1/2 inches long under it. I thought about adding another support under it, but there was no room with the support already attached (the actual base of the topper was very small. I would have rather had no support attached to it, then would have doweled it like I have other heavy toppers. I even thought about about snapping the piece off, but didn't want to take the change of cracking the whole thing!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:51pm
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

"She's a man, baby"!

icon_biggrin.gif

ROTFLMBO!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1817

Thanks so much for the encouragement, my stomach was in knots all night! All I can see is how the quilt design doesn't match up in the after picture icon_redface.gif I'm going to call the FOB this afternoon to see how everything went, and will update!

You know what? Cake civilians rarely notice stuff like that! I'm so glad it turned out so well in the end. The cake was beautiful.....even from the back!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%