Rusty Tips

Decorating By ac2steachk Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 6:26pm by 2txmedics

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #1 of 10

Hi all,
I have a few tips that got 'lost' at the bottom of a bowl of water in my sink and now have rust spots in them. Is there any hope of getting them icing-worthy again or do I need to throw them out?

Thanks for your help.
-allison

ps--I always have difficulty finding topics using the 'search' feature. I can't imagine this is the first post about rusty tips, but nothing related comes up when I do a search for it. How do you all find the right information in a search on these forums?

9 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #2 of 10

I've wondered this too. Last time it happened, i threw them out.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #3 of 10

I can't give you an answer on how to fix the problem, but I do notice a difference in two brands of tips. My Wilton tips never rust, but the ones I bought from Country Kitchen do. I think it's the alloys that is in each type of metal.

Laurascakefactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurascakefactory Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 10

I've wondered the same thing... I wonder if you could soak them in CLR cleaner. (Calcium,Lime,Rust)
Never tried it though... been to afraid

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #5 of 10

The inspector made us toss 'em. We were not using them...we, like you didn't know if they could be saved.

Ateco tips are cheap, but unless you plan on washing, rinsing and drying them all in the same time frame and not allow icing to sit in them, I would go with either Wilton, PME, those plastic ones or some made of a non-rusting material. I now toss on average 2 a week of the Ateco tips.( no offense to Ateco...it just happens to be the brand of tip that I've been using that has been rusting...I like the Ateco tips...they're inexpensive and get the job done...they just rust is all)

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:49am
post #6 of 10

I can't ever find topics either.

I have no problem using search in the galleries, but have never been able to find topics.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #7 of 10

You can coat the tips in vegetable oil (or soak them in a small bowl of it) and then the next day the rust should scrub off! One of my chef instructors gave me that tip and I was shocked how easily it worked!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #8 of 10

all4cake - i noticed it was the Ateco i was tossing too - thanks for clarifying that! icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:36am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac2steachk

ps--I always have difficulty finding topics using the 'search' feature. I can't imagine this is the first post about rusty tips, but nothing related comes up when I do a search for it. How do you all find the right information in a search on these forums?

Hi Allison,

Are you using the search box on the top right corner of the forums page? If so this will be your problem. If you want to search the forum for info what you need to do is this:

1) Make sure you are in the forums tab
2) Click on the Search heading under the title Cake Decorating Forum listed beside the "Buddy List, Ignore List, Watched Topics
etc..)
3) Once your on the search page you have several options ie:
a) you can search by keywords
b) you can search by author
c) search particular forum
d) topic title only
e) message only
and so on

HTH!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 10

I have the same problem, Im real bad about decorating, and then setting my tips to the side, until Im completely done, then I rinse them and toss them into a HOT HOT...container of water, and leave them.

What I did once and it worked for me, dont know if it luck...I got a container and poured coke into it, threw my tips in, and let them sit for a few hrs and then washed, they came clean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%