Bakels Gumpaste?

Decorating By dabear Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm by dabear

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 14

What on earth do people use this for? I have had it sitting on my counter for almost 24 hours. It is still sticky and has not even dried a little bit. icon_eek.gif
What is the best gumpaste? At this point I prefer fondant with tylose-it works!

13 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 14

I only use fondant & tylose! Gumpaste & the humidity where I live do not get along!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 14

i have never liked bakels g/p... it is as you say sticky.. slow to dry.. i like wiltons ready made over that... i like nick lodges scratch recipe best of all.. i can,t use satin ice g/p.. it doesn,t dry for me as good as wilton..

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 14

maybe a silly question but what is tylose . and what does it do . thanks Tami

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 14

Bakels gumpaste = S!**

I bought it twice and it was very expensive. First time i used it, same thing as you it didn't dry...bought another batch thinking it was a fluke and AGAIN it didn't dry. In fact i have a cross that i cut out over a year ago and it's still bendable...In my opinion this stuff is garbage and will never dry like a gumpaste should. Now i just mix some tylose into my fondant and it works like a charm. I generally have some fondant around so it's easier than making gumpaste and then it going hard before i use it. I just sprinkle it into the fondant and nead it until encorporated.

Sorry that you are another unsatisfied buyer of this gumpaste. I know my story is very similar to those who have bought it too, so this is not isolated case. I posted the same sort of question when i had the non drying problem... and heard many people who had this problem too.

dabear Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:23am
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the responses. I thought maybe it was bad, now I know it's just junk!
Tami, I don't really know what tylose is, but I buy it at the cake supplies store and it works great firming up fondant. It is a powder. It's like the Wilton gum-tex.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #7 of 14

I used CK brand before and like to have NEVER gotten it to dry ... now I use Wilton brand. It seems to be the best as far as drying in the humid weather here where I live.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:23am
post #8 of 14

And I thought it was just me... icon_confused.gif I used Bakels gum paste for the first time today, and I thought it was a little sticky... probably wont use it again once this is all used up, I have used Wilton gum paste and I do like that.

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:29am
post #9 of 14

Bakel's Gumpaste is junk. Wilton's is the leaps and bounds better. I've never tried the fondant and tylose, just find it easy to buy the Wilton ready made.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:33am
post #10 of 14

This is not a slam against Wilton, ( I have used and enjoyed many of their products in the past, others not so much) but it is refreshing to hear people actually rave about one of their products. LOL Just had to "pipe" in. icon_wink.gif

Cris

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:14am
post #11 of 14

I like Nicholas Lodge's gum paste recipe the best using tylose. I like the Wilton RTU gum paste, but I the recipe with gum tex doesn't work for me at all!! thumbsdown.gif Here is a link to NL gum paste if you want to try it, HTH!!

http://www.designmeacake.com/id27.html

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:11pm
post #12 of 14

.........what is tylose . and what does it do ..............

It is a gum in powder form. It makes sugarpaste/fondant stretch and dry out.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 14

Wow, thank you for this post. I was planning to use Bakels brand for the 1st time tonight. I don't have any Wilton RTU on hand. How much tylose should be added to the fondant? I'm looking to make a large "50" standing upright on the cake.

dabear Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

Wow, thank you for this post. I was planning to use Bakels brand for the 1st time tonight. I don't have any Wilton RTU on hand. How much tylose should be added to the fondant? I'm looking to make a large "50" standing upright on the cake.

I usually add one teaspoon to a pound of fondant.

I might try Wilton-don't ever hear of anyone praising their products! I will make that nicholas lodge one to and play with it! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%