Kitchen Rental Help

Business By mamabakes2008 Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm by mamabakes2008

mamabakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabakes2008 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 4

After all the mess with the Craiglist threats (some of you followed that thread) I now have the possibility to rent a kitchen in a bagel shop. We havent discussed details but I would love to hear some experiences some of you have had w this sort orf setup. She said I would be "riding" under her health inspection etc. but is this considered legal? Can I advertise in this case wo being afraid of getting fined etc? I dont realy have a customer base so I wouldnt be sure how to find customers so I dont know how much I would need the kitchen. Any insight would be great! No drama please, just real help would be appreciated!! THanks so much!

3 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 4

If she's set up to rent her space, then yes, you should be fine. I think you'd have to provide proof of insurance, with her business listed as your "commissary" location, possibly need a Commissary Agreement on and a business license on file with the county or city. Ask her if she needs you to be in touch with the Health Dept, or if she will deal with them, and what they'd need from you, but it should be hard.

I rented two different kitchens like this, and they were easy to deal with, until I finally just bought and built my own.

Good luck!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 4

I think you should call the health department and simply ask what the process is for subsequent occupancy in an already permitted kitchen. Here is Washington you still need to have an initial inspection and your own health department permit.

You could make your inquiry very general so you don't have to name the kitchen or person who you are considering renting from.

I hope the person who owns the kitchen is trustworthy and would not intentionally mislead you but you would be surprised how ignorant people are when it comes to these things. Deal with the department of health yourself as it is your business on the line.

P.S. I rent a kitchen space as a subsequent occupancy so that's why I know this, I have my own business name on the permit and I carry my own separate liability insurance.

Depending on which state or county you are in the fees can vary but I paid $100 for the inspection, yes even though the health department is familiar with the facility, and $503/ year for my own permit. Then I and my assistant both have a food worker card which costs $10 for 3 years that we had to pass a test to get.

The owner of the kitchen had to write a letter that I gave to the health department saying that i had permission to use the kitchen, including use of the equipment and restroom.

We have signed a rental agreement which is completely independent of the health permit. The rental agreement says they she is responsible for maintaining the facility and equipment and that she must maintain the facility in line with the dept. of health standards.

good luck!

mamabakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabakes2008 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the responses! I will be doing my homework on this and I am really excited at the prospect of having a space to work from!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%