How Can I Improve On My Roses?

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm by bostonterrierlady

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:43am
post #1 of 11

I need some help on these. I do not want big roses.I want smaller ones. I am planning on cutting a styrofoam ball in half anf making an arrangement for a top of a cake. But I am not to good at these. I am just a hobby cake decorater.
LL
LL

10 replies
CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #2 of 11

I have made them a few times. I am not sure what size petal cutters you are using ( I use the ones in the Wilton gum paste kit), but I know a mistake that I started off making, and so did a few people in the gumpaste class I took, was that you dont need the make the centers very big, Its hard to tell from the pics exactly but maybe you want to make the centers a bit smaller to start off with. then just make them a tear-drop shaped so that you can form the petals around them easier and they have a more natural shape.
also only put on 4-5 petals at a time and then let them dry first before adding all of them. that way the center petals have a chance to dry, because the more petals and water you add is going to make the whole thing want to slide off (well I had that issue at first).. icon_redface.gif
not sure if this helps at all but good luck!

bostonterrierlady Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:00am
post #3 of 11

I was thinking that maybe I made the centers to big. i am going to make some smaller ones. Also tell me about coloring. I am trying to get a dark maroon. I have soem petal dust coming called juneberry. How should I color the roses?

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:27am
post #4 of 11

I don't make a centre at all....I just roll the first petal up gently, and go from there. Now idea if that's right or wrong, but it works for me!

CarrieBear Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:42am
post #5 of 11

I color the gumpaste itself with gel coloring, If you are able to purchase the maroon gel color you could do that.

or you could attempt to make your own maroon, possibly start with red add a bit of blue and then black...
I am not great at mixing colors,so If I just mix things until they work or if its a color I dont want to try and mix I would just buy it.

I dont use the dusts to color the whole flower, just for accents to the tips of the petals or insides of the petals...

CarrieBear Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:47am
post #6 of 11

when using the dusts i brush them on dry with a paint brush and then hold the DRY flowers (one at a time) over a pot of boiling water for maybe 5-10 seconds at a time, its one way you can try that will seal the dust on and give it a neat affect, the steam will make the dust stay on so that it wont brush or rub off... just an idea.

or you can mix the dust with a clear extract, or vodka and then paint it on... theres different things you can do

I think there are some you tube videos on it too

bostonterrierlady Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:53am
post #7 of 11

I tried maroon and it came out a horrible olor. Maybe I need to try and color small portions of gumpate at a time. The color I am tryimg to acheive is a shiny between a maroon and a burgandy. It is a maroon with a little more toward the red side. Any more ideas?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:57am
post #8 of 11

You need to make the center 1/4 inch smaller than the petal.
The first petals need to cover the center so you dont see it..
and they need to be a bit higher.. Hope this helps!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

CarrieBear Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 11

do you have maroon gel color? if so start with red gumpaste and slowly add a little maroon a bit at a time, maybe then you will get more on the reddish side and it wont end up an ugly brown and all maroon, that may be the color you are looking for if you want it more of a red then a dark maroon, and then if you have some maroon/reddish luster dust or petal dust that may give it the shine that you want...
maybe just take small bits of gum paste at a timet as a test to see if you can get the color you want, instead starting with a huge chunk and then ruining it if you dont like the color, its a lot of experimentation until you figure out how to get the color you want.. good luck

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 11

You can add some red to the marron so it gets that redish undertone..
Look in herr for the rose tutorials..there are six parts on the tutorial...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tonedna1&view=videos

Edna icon_smile.gif

bostonterrierlady Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everybody.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%