First Paid Cake, Need Help Please!

Decorating By kates_kakes Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 8:41pm by kates_kakes

kates_kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kates_kakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 11

Hey guys I am doing my first paid cake. Just got asked today to do it and it is due on Saturday the 25th. My client wants a cross cake that will feed 60 people. I am planning on carving the cross out of a rectangle pan so my question is how big of a rectangle pan will I need to make a cross that will feed 60 people? It will be a double layer yellow cake with 1/2 strawberry filling and 1/2 banana filling with BC.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!! I am starting to get a little nervous! icon_lol.gif

10 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:31am
post #2 of 11

Congrats on you first paid cake! A cross for 60 people?......That could take some figuring. Can you figure a 2"x1" serving and go from there?

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:46am
post #3 of 11

Hi there. Congrats!
ok, so the 12 x 18 serves 52. There is a template for cutting out a cross from a sheetcake with out any waste.

I'll find it in a moment and update.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1342628

There you go!

tastyart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #4 of 11

Here is what I fugure: Make the vertical piece of the cross 4"x20". Add two horizontal pieces that are 4"x5" each(one on each side). That gives you 60 / 1"x2" servings.

kates_kakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:48am
post #5 of 11

Both of you thank you so much!!! You are both amazing and such a big help!! Now another question, the cake is for a boy and they want grapes and possibly a rosary incorporated into the cake. Any ideas? I have been searching through the galleries getting a few ideas.

Thanks so much!

kates_kakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 11

Just a BUMP in case anyone has any ideas!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 11

Depends on what cutting chart you use, but according to Wilton a 12x18 serves 72...

tastyart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 11

I would just drape a fondant rosery on the cross and use fondant grapes to decorate as if they were flowers with a little bit of grape vine sort of climbing the cross. HTH

kates_kakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #9 of 11

Thanks! I have never used fondant so everything will have to be in BC. Ill try to post a pic of the finished product in case anyone wants to see. I hope it all turns out ok!!

Thanks again!

kates_kakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #10 of 11

Great. I bought the 12x18 pan and it doesn't fit in the oven. Ahhh! So I have decided to do two 11x15 and piece them together to make a cross. Lets see how this goes. icon_rolleyes.gif

kates_kakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 11

This is probably a really dumb question but what do I use as my cake board and what do I cover it with?
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%