Cant Get The Right Colors!!

Decorating By maralin Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 5:15am by tirechic

maralin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maralin Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 11

icon_cry.gif ....I have been using the wilton icing coloring...but i cant seem to make the red.....black or navy blue look like the what they are supposed to!

the black becomes gray
the red becomes pink
and the navy blue comes out royal blue

anyone know of a brand that will give me true colors when put into icing????

10 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #2 of 11

I hear americolor is good.

I personally have to use the wilton black in chocolate icing to get it black.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:21am
post #3 of 11

In a decorating class I was tought that if you want Black frosting start with a base of brown or chocolate frosting and then start adding black to that, then you wont use an entire bottle or container of black only to end up with grey.

and for Red start with a pink base, if you have like a pink wilton or another type of pink gel coloring, then add red to that...

good luck!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:30am
post #4 of 11

I LOVE AMERICOLOR!!!!

dark color darken over time... so make your icing a day before if you can.

For black, yes choc bc is easier, but i have no problem tinting white bc black with Americolor.

it sounds like you are not adding enough color.... take a small amount of icing (1/4 cup) and just keep adding a little more color at a time to see if you can get the color you want.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:31am
post #5 of 11

with americolor there is no bitter taste either....

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:34am
post #6 of 11

for black i always start out with a chocolate frosting base. i just cant get the right shade if i try it with a blue or green base.

as for pink.. ive used it in the past w/o problems but not till last sept that i used it and ended up panicing cause as time went.. the color faded! that was the first time colors have faded ON the cake for me.. usualy the color darkens. wonder what wilton's doing to them now. i hate hving to resort to buying my necessities online especially when i go to the cupboard and discover i dont have enough for the next order cause its bigger then i anticipated... even though the nearest location i can buy wilton colors is 45 minutes away but still.. anywho nuff of my rambling.. guess i'm gonna have to save up to buy some online colors. probably start with americolor and test drive them first.. *sigh*

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:34am
post #7 of 11

I agree with Rocketgirl899 that it seems like you're not adding enough color. Whenever I use the Wilton gel colors for red or black, I use quite a bit. I'd say almost 1/4 oz of coloring if not more. Keep in mind that the colors usually intensify overnight.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:39am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciag829

I agree with Rocketgirl899 that it seems like you're not adding enough color. Whenever I use the Wilton gel colors for red or black, I use quite a bit. I'd say almost 1/4 oz of coloring if not more. Keep in mind that the colors usually intensify overnight.

i agree. i think when i use red and black colorings i use Alot. i use more of those two shades then any other i have- even if i've used a base to start off with (I.E.: using brown/chocolate for starting off and building up with black)

Rocketgirl899 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:58am
post #9 of 11

oh... and I hope you aren't trying to tint a whole batch of icing one of those dark colors!!!!

I have been SO satisfied with Americolor. Just awesome. icon_smile.gif

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:14am
post #10 of 11

Yes keep adding color , but on the navy blue, add just a touch of black to it, you will see it get the "navy" color. Keep adding or mixing till you get what u want, sometime is rub a smear on wax paper and then use my cool shot on my blowdryer to make it drier, to see if it intensifies. HTH, good luck

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:15am
post #11 of 11

In blue, sorry, add a little black to the blue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%