Crusting Vs Non, Which One?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 3:03pm by Getus

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:16am
post #1 of 7

I am going to apply fondant pieces to buttercream instead of covering in fondant. I'll be doing it all the same day. Which is better, or does it matter?

6 replies
gina0475 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina0475 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:21am
post #2 of 7

I find it easier while the butter cream is still soft so no crust but it may crust on you while you are putting the pieces on so prep yourself with a bit of water or that fondant paste and you can paint that on the back of the pieces but be careful because if you get water on the out side of the piece it will dry and be fine but may cause the piece to look less perfect.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:30am
post #3 of 7

I have always used a crusting buttercream. I like to let it crust before completely smoothing(viva method). I brush a little bit of water on the back of the fondant piece and place it on the cake. It hasn't failed me yet.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 7

hi,
i do this type of decorating and i use SMBC (which i love and i think is easier than IMBC) which is non-crusting. i ice my cake and refrigerate it and when the icing is firm (does not take long, but often i ice at night, then take it out in the morning and put on the decorations). the fondant sticks readily to the BC and i do not need to use anything to attach it. quite often i will take my fondant smoother and just run it over the decoration and that's that icon_smile.gif
diane

KarenOR Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #5 of 7

What's SM stand for in the SMBC?
I've seen it a million times but don't know.

KarenOR Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:16am
post #6 of 7

Nevermind. SWISS meringue icon_smile.gif

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 7

Drakegore,
Would you mind sharing your SMBC recipe? I've tried IMBC and like it, but I am interested in easier meringue icing!
TIA,
Carla

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%