Is Pin Pricking The Only Way?????

Decorating By Chippi Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 12:03am by emiyeric

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 10

Yea I got'em! I even crumb coated and let it stay in the fridge overnight. Then put another thin layer of bc and cov. w/ MMF. I'm beginning to think my fondant it maybe a lil too thick? I've never had complaints about it from my family and they usually eat it right up. Hmmmm...stumped. Is there any other way other than using a pin to prick the air bubbles?

Frustrated,
Chippi

9 replies
Chippi Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:15am
post #2 of 10

Bumpity bump bump bump! icon_smile.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:00am
post #3 of 10

I'm very inexperienced with fondant -- only covered a couple cakes, but pin pricking is the only way that I've heard of. Somewhere I read the tip that instead of pricking straight in, try to put the pin in at an angle and then the hole is less noticeable.

Chippi Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:48am
post #4 of 10

Thank you Margaret icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:17am
post #5 of 10

is your cake at room temperture when you decorate? if not, then that could be the cause of the bubbles.
also, the fondant needs to stick to the cake, or you can get problems. so if your bc has crusted, you might need a very light spritz of water.
xx

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 10

I thought they were caused from crumb coating a cold cake. The gas in the cake builts when it comes back to room temp, and causes air bubbles.

Chippi Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 10

I have done everything else to avoid them it has to be the gas bubbles being created as it rises to room temp. Thankkkkkk you! I'm going to do a test on that someday and do 2-6" cakes one cold from fridge and one thawed, just for the fun of it. My hubby thinks it from me smoothing my fondant and it pushes the icing out the side but its air. I just got the cake done 4:30 this morning, along with 4 dozen of record cookies, and 4 dozen of brownies. Whewwwww! I still have to tie some cookies in their bags but thats it. I will post pics later today. icon_smile.gif

Chippi

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 10

I just read another post where sugarshack says the same thing. It's caused by icing a cold cake, and the gas releases as the cake comes to room temp.

Good luck.

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 10

Sure didn't know about the cold cake causing bubbles. I'm freezing some cakes then icing them before fondant so will make sure to let frost first. The only other way to get rid of bubbles I've heard off is the pin method.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:03am
post #10 of 10

Something I like to do is not "commit" to the fondant being cut at the bottom just yet as I'm putting it on, since bubbles do form. What I mean is, I continue to "unstick" the fondant from the sides of my cake underneath the forming bubbles so that I can always let the air out, instead of having to pinprick it. As long as I keep the room the right temperature, it seems to work very well to cut it around the base of the cake after I've waited for bubbles to show and pushed all the air out of the way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%