Help!!! Fondant In Fridge???

Decorating By Nermal03 Updated 20 Aug 2005 , 11:56am by beachcakes

Nermal03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nermal03 Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 12

I'm finishing up a wedding cake tonight for a wedding tommorow night. I'm covering it in fondant. Should it be refridgerated or with the fridge make the fondant crack???

11 replies
KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 12

I wouldnt do it. I did it once and as it came to room temperature it sweated and looked shiny and wet instead of satiny.

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 12

Just leave it in an air conditioned room! It should be fine that way for tomorrow. The fondant and buttercream will keep the cake moist so don't worry about the cake drying out.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 12

I don't refrigerate mine ... fondant will sweat when brought back to room temperature and if you have colors on the cake, they can run ... some people have done this and have no problems with it, but my preference is to NOT refrigerate icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 12

I agree..room temp is your best bet. Just put it in a cake box and youll be fine!

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 12

what are the results when you freeze a cake with a crumb coat?? I have a firetruck I'm doing and I froze it to make the cutting easier...I was going to crumb coat it and put it back in the freezer overnight but I didnt' know what would happen!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 12

Do I have this right?

Regular fondant should be ok refrigerated, but colors my bleed on mmf. So, no fillings btwn layers with a mmf cake.

KayDay Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 12

I haven't tried this one. icon_confused.gif

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:38pm
post #9 of 12

I think it depends on where you live... I live in Arizona and chill ALL my wedding cakes before delivery and I have never had a problem with the fondant sweating. If you lived in a very humid climate, then you will probably have trouble with the fondant sweating. I deliver my stacked cakes assembled, so chilling is a must!!

KayDay Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 12

My experience with the sweating fondant occured in Los Angeles. I also have seen it happen in Alabama where I live so I don't know. icon_confused.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Aug 2005 , 4:12am
post #11 of 12

Well, unless the filling requires refrigeration, no, you don't refrigerate fondant covered cakes as it will make them sweat and get shiny and dull spots and it will also cause fondant to slime depending on how long it is refrigerated. Fondant on its own, can be refrigerated but once a cake is covered with it or if decorations are made out of it, no, don't refrigerate it. Chocolate fondant however, refrigerates well.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Aug 2005 , 11:56am
post #12 of 12

I agree. fondant doesn't survive well in the fridge. However, if you are using a filling that has milk or cream in it, you'll need to refrigerate the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%