We Ruined Your Kids Birthday....

Business By barbaranoel Updated 20 May 2009 , 5:50pm by Sweetmaker

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 94

because we didn't put a top border on your cake???? I actually had a customer complain about that last night. She insisted to the manager that because we didn't put the top border on her kid's Spongebob birthday cake, which she picked out from a picture out of Bakery Craft Book, her son's whole birthday would be ruined and he should give her $7.99 off the price - because it was only worth $10 to her now!

Of course she picked it up after 8pm when there was no one left to tell her otherwise and no one left to put a border on.

So they gave her cash back (she originally paid with food stamps), so I guess she got what she wanted.

Barb

93 replies
becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 94

oh wow...so did the picture have a boarder???

barbaranoel Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 94

Around of the base of the cake not the top

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 94

Isn't it amazing what tiny little self-centered worlds some people live in.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 94

OMG! Some people! Your manager should grow a backbone.....

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 94

I'd give her $7 worth of food stamps back. You can never trust people these days..

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 94

Why didn't the person who gave her the money tell her to come back as there was no one around to authorise the refund.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 94

She didnt care about a border, she knew there was no one around and knew how to pitch enought of a fit to get what she wanted and they played into it.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 94

If the picture did not have a top border she had no reason to complain. She should not have gotten even a penny back. I hope they added the amount back into her food stamp card and didn't give her cash!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 94

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif yikes!! so since the bday was ruined I assume the party was cancelled, right??
What? they eat the whole cake?? I thought the party was ruined icon_cry.gif ahhhh, but the good part is that the customer went home happy thumbs_up.gif right?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 94

The store could lose their FS permit for that you know. That is actually in most places reason for automatic termination because it is a crime to give cash on a FS purchase.

But as far as the Customer. OH NO. If the cake she picked didn't have a border on it then NO BORDER FOR HER! (yes I love soup Nazi too).

Also if it was going to ruin her son's birthday then why did she take the cake to begin with? If it would do that to him why, why why! Doesn't she love her son!!!!!! LMAO

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 94

Or better still since she wasn't happy,she shouldn't have taken the cake ,just the money,you can't have it both ways

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 94

Wow! Interesting.

barbaranoel Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 94

The mgr now realizes he was idiot and freely admits it. He promised me not to be so stupid in the future icon_lol.gif

They will call me all evening for stupid stuff, but not for things like that icon_confused.gif

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:15pm
post #15 of 94

Wow I guess from now on I'll have to start charging $7.99 extra for a border on my cakes...since that's what they're worth. icon_lol.gif

Some people are always trying to get something for nothing. icon_mad.gif

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:37pm
post #16 of 94

ya, if that border was so important to her when she picked it up, she would have asked to have a border put on the cake before she took it home. Man, I'm so glad I don't work in a grocery store bakery. There are some real dandies out there! lol

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:56pm
post #17 of 94

Where did she come up with $7.99? icon_confused.gif Is she that much of a professional caker that she can tell right off the top of her head that a border on a Spongebob cake mind you is worth $7.99? So if she had gotten let's say a Spiderman cake, would the price be different? detective.gif LOL Some people, she just propbably wanted the money for something else

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #18 of 94

$7.99 must have been the price of her cheap bottle of wine, pack of ciagarettes, or next fix....<sigh>. Our tax dollars at work....

mamabakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabakes2008 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #19 of 94

Oh Gosh-this reminds me of when I managed a little girls store where we did little makeovers and had birthday parties! I had parents complain and say that the party was ruined bc of trivial things or better yet-that their child was "traumitized". I wish people would stop using that word loosely-do they really know what it means, maybe they should ask a child who has really been traumitized (not me thank God). But that is the self centered world that we live in and that is how many adults are raising their kids, they act like spoiled children themselves!!!!!

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:58pm
post #20 of 94

I once waitressed at a place and had a woman insist that she found a hair in her food. Mind you, she was halfway through her meal when she found it, but I took it back and got her a new sandwich and fries anyway. Standard procedure. Because she was already nearly full from the first half of her meal she didn't finish the new stuff and had us put it in a doggie bag to take home. No biggie. THEN she has the guts to insist that she get her meal for free because she found a hair... despite getting essentially a meal and a half. She put up such a stink that the manager obliged.

The kicker? I saw the hair. I don't want this to sound racial, because it's not, but the hair was distinctly of the texture and appearance of African American hair (which this woman was) and there was NO ONE, either waitressing or working in the back at the time who had hair like that. The hair could only have come from the customer, and several other employees noticed and agreed with me. Again, I don't want anyone to think I'm stereotyping the woman's behavior, just the fact that the hair could only have been hers and no one else's (by the way, it was on top of and not in her food)

What lesson did I learn? Never go into food management! You will be bending over and taking it from every customer and that's what burns you out the fastest. After my brief restaurant experience I decided if I ever run my own food related business I would have a "tough sh*t" policy. Don't like something? Tough! No freebies in MY house dearie! icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm
post #21 of 94

they ate the cake no refund-you're not satisfied with the cake then speak up when you pick up! (i'll have that framed in my store) still not satisfied bring it back-that's when you would get something in return. not reversed. and the manager should most definately have put the money back on the card (if they accept cards, i'm sure there's a way to reverse the transaction)

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:19am
post #22 of 94

Unbelieveable.

I didn't realize you could even purchase SpongeBob birthday cakes with food stamps. I thought they were very specific on the items - like milk, bread, formula. It seems every time I'm in the check out lane behind someone w/ food stamps, the person ALWAYS has the wrong item or size!! grrr

johnson6ofus Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:29am
post #23 of 94

beachcakes- that other free food program is WIC (women, infants, children) They pay for say, 2 dozen eggs... that's it. 4 quarts juice, 5 quarts milk, penaut butter, no sugar cereal. That is for nursing moms, infants, and kids under 5. Very exact items.

AFDC (aid to familes with dependent children) is CASH

Food stamps is ANY food, like $150 per month per person in ADDITION to Wic... so an infant get free formula from WIC AND $150 in "food'. You can't buy cleaning products, or booze... but bakery cakes, steaks, crab... whatever. Worse, the government says soda is not "food" and adds sales tax. So when I buy it, I pay. If foodstmaps people buy it- they get it and the computer removes the tax! So if it NOT food, and I pay tax, why can they buy it with foodstamps?????

Ugh- 10 years grocery experience + 20 years renatl experience (section 8 anyone?)....

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #24 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciag829

Wow I guess from now on I'll have to start charging $7.99 extra for a border on my cakes...since that's what they're worth. icon_lol.gif

Some people are always trying to get something for nothing. icon_mad.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:39am
post #25 of 94

Wow! I had no idea. Thanks for clearing that up - it must be the WIC people I get stuck behind! icon_smile.gif

So they can spend the food stamps however they want?! (except beer, butts, ...) So theoretically, they can spend it all on luxury items like soda, filet mignon & lobster, but they can't clean their house. Weird.

johnson6ofus Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #26 of 94

yup---had a women put back the hambuger meat and buy the crab...<sigh>.

They are supposed to use the AFDC money for TP, diapers, cleaners, etc.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #27 of 94

I guarantee you this wasn't her first pony show...she knew exactly what she was doing...and it worked. Abuse of the welfare system at it's finest.

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:06am
post #28 of 94

They can use food stamps for fritos and mountain dew at a gas station if they want. I've seen it. It bugs me when I think of how most families do without all the little extras so they can afford real nourishment, and here these people cry poor so they can get their daily yoo-hoo fix. I know, not all FS ppl are like that, but far too many are.

In defense of WIC ppl, half of the cashiers out there have trouble figuring them out and that's what slows you down. They don't give you fancy swipe cards like with FS. oh, and there are a few things on WIC that you can only get name brand (some cereals, some juices, infant cereals and juice) but a lot of stuff has a generic equivalent that you can get.

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:10am
post #29 of 94

Here in Colorado you cannot accept Food Stamps at the bakery or deli or anything because they are considered "prepared" foods. How interesting that the even let her buy the cake with them in the first place.

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #30 of 94

What is wrong with you people!?!

Who cares if she buys a cake with food stamps and then complains....people complain about cakes all the time!....food stamps or not!

Really???....Those people! NNNNNNice!

Funny major food chains...$7.99 is nothing..."oh my stars we are out of business because some lady used food stamps and then made us take $7.99 off her cake!" icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%