Copywrite Laws... So Frustrating!

Business By pinkpiggie78 Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 1:26am by beachcakes

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 12

This is pretty much a vent... I have been asked to do a Star Wars cake, carved or otherwise, and I can't find an edible image or cake toppers at DecoPac or Lucks. I just started my business and I feel like I can't do anything because of the copywrite laws. I understand them and am abiding by them, but at the same time, it's frustrating!!

11 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks CCR03... I went on ebay and found some too. I guess I know this is not really what the customer wants, so it just made it worse.

abruntz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abruntz Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 12

Just wanted to let you know here in CO we have Kings Soopers and they always do my edible images for me at 6.00 each. I always bring licensed stuff there they do the edible image and never say a word to me its awesome. Maybe you have one in your town as well or a city market???? Hope this helps too.

Thanks!

Amy

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

Thanks CCR03... I went on ebay and found some too. I guess I know this is not really what the customer wants, so it just made it worse.

You might need to explain this to the customer,my customers understand that it is what is available under the copywrite laws ata aparticular season that might be available.So at times they tell me in advance to get a particular topper of a character or something,and keep it till they order their cake.Hope this helps,Good luck. icon_wink.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 12

I don't know what your customer wants but if you're willing to consider toys have you seen the Galactic Heros? You can find them all over and they're adorable. Maybe you could get the customer to pick some out for you to design a cake around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruntz

Just wanted to let you know here in CO we have Kings Soopers and they always do my edible images for me at 6.00 each. I always bring licensed stuff there they do the edible image and never say a word to me its awesome. Maybe you have one in your town as well or a city market???? Hope this helps too.

Thanks!

Amy

From the way this sounds I really doubt it would help. I could be wrong but the way I understand what you're saying is that you bring an image in and the store illegally copies it for you. If the OP is trying to avoid making something that violates copywrite it won't help. If you mean you pick one of their edible images that they are legally allowed to make than it would help.

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 12

I had to call a customer today and try to get them to change their order, they wanted an edible image of their logo and Publix logo on it for some kind of presentation.

I had to tell them unless they could get me written permission from both of their legal depts I couldn't do the cake. He was upset cause he could get his but not Publix's .

I didn't want to take a chance with this, considering it was for another grocery store (I am at Kroger) I could just see this as being a set up and I get nailed with a lawsuit and a huge fine

Barb

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruntz

Thanks!

Amy

I'm sorry to hear that Kings Soopers (passively) promotes violating copyright laws. Perhaps they don't know any better. I'd like to think that's the case, rather than that they don't care. I imagine that someone will enlighten them in the near future (code for Disney lawyer being made aware of their "error).

I'd bet if it were their logo that someone was making money on without paying for the rights, they'd have something to say about it..........

Rae

pinkpiggie78 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 12

This is just a potential customer... and I explained what I could do. It is on my website as well. I guess I will wait and see what she decides. I am a bit leery of using edible images that aren't from lucks or decopac or some other cake deco company, just because I don't know if they are legitimate. I also wonder where to draw the line... is the light saber copywritten... are the words Star Wars copywritten...

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:29am
post #10 of 12

why not have the customer buy some toys, and you can put them on the cake? i do this all the time.

bakery crafts sells a star wars set up too.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:41am
post #11 of 12
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:26am
post #12 of 12

Have the customer purchase the toys and design a scene for the cake. No copyright violation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%