Layered Look? (Fondant)

Decorating By clovely Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 2:50am by dennettesdelectables

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 13

I don't have much experience with fondant. I've used it a lot for accent pieces but I'm working on covering a cake with it. Tonight, I've got two things to do. I'm doing a Barbie and a cake beside Barbie decorated to look like a table.

On the table, I want a tablecloth plus an overlay. On Barbie's skirt, I'd like to do a layered look as well - like four ruffles down the skirt - maybe even angled layers??

My question is - do I cover the entire skirt in the bottom layer color - then another layer of fondant over the whole thing for the next layer, and the next, and the next? Or should I attach a piece around the bottom (attach to the buttercream, the side of the skirt), then another strip around the skirt overlapping the first, then another on top of that, then a top ruffle starting at the waist?

Am I making any sense?? What do you think?

12 replies
dennettesdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennettesdelectables Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 13

what about making the piece of fondant long enough to just wraparound the barbie several times and overlap, but when you wrap it, ruffle it a lil bit so it doesnt look so flat.

HTH

clovely Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 13

That might work. But I'm making MFF - it's got 4 whole lbs of powdered sugar and it's not forming a ball - how long should this go in the mixer??

I'm really tempted to bag it and make the MMF. Don't have time really to be exprimenting like this.

clovely Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 13

It's totally sticky - bad idea

This is a disgusting mess and I measured the square cake I need to cover and realize I need a 16"x21" piece of fondant. This is never going to work. Panic time!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 13

No, no, no panic time! If you are doing the layers as ruffles, and are simply adding strips around the bottom, you don't have to have it cover the whole thing, so those ruffles are easy. Make strips however long you can, then ruche as you go, perhaps putting little balls of paper towel or cotton in here and there under your ruffles to support them while they dry a little bit. Fior the very top, you don't have to have a piece cover the whole sixteen inches or whatever you need. Roll as big a piece as you can, but you can always have the last (top) layer open in the front (just be sure to make the layer underneath it a bit wider so it covers up to the waist of the Barbie) and then top-most layer of "cloth" on the dress can cover the back, and meet in the front at the waist, but opening up so it covers only the sides and back (think Cinderella's ballgown in the Disney movie, but with the floppy things on the sides of her dress going a little lower in the back - google it if you don't know what I mean). That way, you're not pressured to roll too big a piece of fondant, and your own layer will cover up your flaws. Good luck!!!

clovely Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:04am
post #6 of 13

Thanks, emiyeric, this would've been a much cooler cake if you'd made it (or if I'd seen your idea and reassurance a little sooner). This is what I ended up with. I'm exhausted and, as usual, there are things about this cake I'm just really not happy with...but overall I'm actually quite pleased! I learned a lot doing this! It's my first fondant Barbie. My first time using this much gumpaste. I'm still a long way from where I want to be. I don't know if I'll ever be able to actually cover a cake with fondant - and have it be smooth. I really should've done the board last - the "tile" floor there looks almost as filty as mine after this craziness! But the mess will have to wait till morning, actually till after my kids' early basketball game in the morning. The party is at 2:00; I just hope I get there all in one piece!!

I think I'm going to leave it out tonight and let everything dry (some of the gumpaste is new - the vase was too small so I made this new one and the banner piece)...then maybe refrigerate it in the morning?? This is in MFF so I should be OK in the fridge? Is that what I should do?? It's got so many different pieces and different recipes (no filling that HAS to be refrigerated, though, just sugarshack's buttercream).

Ugh! Goodnight!
LL

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:54am
post #7 of 13

I think she turned out beautiful! Good job thumbs_up.gif

I would suggest not refrigerating. Sugarshacks buttercream will be fine. Some people don't have problems with condensation, once the cake is taken back out of the refrigerator, but I always do. I no longer put fondant in the refrigerator. Also, I would be worried, without knowing whether you will have condensation, about the purple bleeding into the buttercream. Better safe than sorry.

Susie-Woo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie-Woo Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:17am
post #8 of 13

You shouldn't have worried... she looks great! well done

underthesun is correct, I wouldn't refridgerate it either... condensation is a problem and could soften some of the icing and cause the colours to run.

Well done! icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:26am
post #9 of 13

I agree, she looks beautiful! The table and accessories look good too!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 13

She looks great, and I love all the little details you put on your table! Balloons, vase, cake, presents ... you're much better than you give yourself credit for! icon_smile.gif I'm sure the birthday girl will love it.

-Emi.

pigninnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pigninnie Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 13

looks great!!

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 13

Awesome. If only one of my grandkids was a girl!
icon_cry.gif

dennettesdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennettesdelectables Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:50am
post #13 of 13

that is very beautiful...i absolutely love the balloons...give yourself more credit, that is alot more indepth than I have gotten with fondant,and it looks amazing, congrats..job well done

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%