3 Little Monkeys Jumping On A Bed Cake??

Decorating By gwright0906 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 3:41am by BeeBoos-8599_

gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 13

I have been asked to make a cake to go along with the children's rhyme...3 little monkeys jumping on a bed...one fell off and bumped his head...so on and so forth LOL.

It needs to be buttercream so I'm wondering what the best way is to cover the bed with a blanket (or something) without it "ruining" the cake if they have to take that part off...or if I just don't need to worry about the top being covered in fondant. And...does anybody have any suggestions about how to make a cake look like a bed??

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! This cake is due next Saturday so I was wanting to make anything I could ahead of time (this weekend) since I also work full time job.

Thanks!!

12 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 13

Hi, to make the headboard and the footboard of the bed, I would use pastillage. And I would do it about this coming weekend, so it has plenty of drying time and you can colour it to look like wood. And I would bake a rectangular cake for the bed.

Can't you pipe on the bed with buttercream to look like a blanket?

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 13

What a great idea for a cake!! I love it!!

BarbRaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbRaz Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 13

I love this idea for a cake!! I made a bed for my neice and I used Rice Krispie Treats and covered it with fondant, it was really easy! Someday I'll get the courage to post pictures of my cakes, I only do it for fun for friends and family. When I see the amazing cakes that everyone here posts I chicken out.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 13

I can't wait to see it - I love 5 Little Monkeys!!

jolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolly Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 13

how about the smiple box tec, that i saw here, its were you put wax paper over the cake but not as long leave it acouple ines short then use a differnt color bc and peel the wax paper off and it looks raised like a sheet folded over.cant wait to see it. peace

NiteOwl4evr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiteOwl4evr Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 13

The bed and covers should be easy. I think I would make the monkeys from colorflow and put wires in them so they can be at different levels jumping on the bed. Please post pictures when you finish it...should be cute. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 13

You can pretty easily do monkeys with fondant, too and just place them on the bed. I would do the cake in buttercream and then just drape a fondant blanket over it. They can easily remove it.
Also, I think I've seen head and footboards made out of those piroutte cookies, or even the new oreo cookie sticks would work. That would be really cute. Just attach them to the cake.
Just for the record, the more common is 5 monkeys. I'm not sure if they asked for 3, but just so you know....we do a lot of monkey books around here.

I'm actually making my son's 1st birthday monkey cake right now, for tomorrow.

Can't wait to see pictures!

gwright0906 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 13

bashini- I have never used pastillage (still pretty new at this). Can I achieve the same thing with gumpaste??

KarenOR- I thought I would make the monkeys out of fondant/gumpaste. As far as the "3" little monkeys...this cake is for a baby shower for a 3rd child so they want 2 "toddlers/monkeys" on the bed and the older "toddler/monkey" falling off the bed...I thought it was a pretty cute idea since there will be 3 children icon_biggrin.gif

I really LOVE this idea...I just hope and pray I can pull it off...otherwise there will definitely be some last minute modifications LOL. I'm super nervous about this cake!

gwright0906 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenOR

Also, I think I've seen head and footboards made out of those piroutte cookies, or even the new oreo cookie sticks would work.

I really like this idea...sounds pretty simple too!

I can't wait to see pics of your cake too icon_wink.gif

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 13

Gotcha! That's cute!
You can make them on skewers and stick them in. Super cute.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 13

I made sheep jumping over a bed. Counting sheep theme - fondant/RI sheep on floral wire. The bed was kind of small, so it was all out of gumpaste - but you could easily do the headboard footboard only and cake for the bed. icon_smile.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #13 of 13

I would do at least one monkey on a wire so it is up off of the bed surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%