Just Left Walmart....

Decorating By suchalaydee1 Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm by sweet1122

suchalaydee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suchalaydee1 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 10

I went to walmart to get cake mix. Did you know its not .96 cents any more icon_surprised.gif Its back to $1.16. I was told that alot of people bake on Easter and thats why the price went down.

Well while I have your attention could you answer a question for me?

Can I change the color Wiltons 5lbs premade fondant and if so how icon_redface.gif

Thank you

Have a great weekend icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 10

You can change the color of most any fondant by kneading in a little at a time until you get the desired color.

I will say (and many will agree) that Wilton fondant should ONLY be used for practicing, NOT on a cake that will be served and eaten. It has a distinct chemical smell and taste that are not at all appetizing.

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 10

Is it what or already another color?

If its white you can color it the same way you color buttercream or you can get wiltons colored fondant and blend it together with the white until you achieve the color you want.

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 10

I agree it doesn't taste good, but I have never really noticed a smell.

StaceySouth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceySouth Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 10

It's actually very disgusting, in my opinion. thumbsdown.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 10

Not sure if I understand but, the bow is pre-made so it is already hard right?

If so, you may be able to airbrush it or paint it with gel colors or dust mixed with vodka to get the color you want. HTH! icon_smile.gif

meganmo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmo27 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 10

I would agree with the other post...Wilton fondant should really just be used for practice. I prefer satin ice. it actually tastes good and is very easy to work with. icon_biggrin.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 10

many times, i have colored my ball of fondant and got the perfect color, not really noticing how many drops of color i put in. recently, i started a different method that is much more concise: take a small ball (golf ball to softball depending on how much cake you're covering) of the white fondant and color it a very vivid shade of the color you want the fondant to be. this way, you can keep taking small amounts of that to mix into the big ball of white until you get the true color you want...this also keeps the color consistant from tier to tier...

for example...if i know i took a golf ball sized pinch of the vivid one to use on a pound of white fondant, this allows me to start over and create the exact same color for another tier, because i just use the same ratio with the next batch..

fabulosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulosity Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 10

I think that it is nasty...but my kids will try to eat the decorations that are made out of it if I don't make them leave the kitchen. They ask a million times if what is sitting there is a leftover.

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 10

I use the Wilton to make bows since they're never eaten and its cheaper than Satin Ice, but if i'm covering a cake, I'll use Satin Ice. If I start seeing the bows are being eaten I would use Satin Ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%