Ace Of Cakes Cake

Decorating By lu9129 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 12:44am by FlourPots

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #331 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagal

As far as the frozen cake goes - remember when they were doing a cake for some event and the cleaning staff at the venue got into their sheet cakes? They had to go purchase sheet cakes from a local bakery. Could that have been the cakes y'all had?
icon_biggrin.gif

Thats what i was thinking too!

CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:47am
post #332 of 384

Went through the whole thread and the pictures don't show up... icon_cry.gif

ETA: NM i got them... 2000 dollars even from Duff seems like alot for that cake... I mean it looks ok and everything but not for 2000 jmo... Thanks Lu for posting!!

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:54am
post #333 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Mooma

OMG! icon_surprised.gif

First I would like to say Thank you Lu for sharing, and yes among friends we can share ALL the excitement not just the parts that we are interested in.....Just want to add that.

Now did anybody stop to think that maybe just maybe this is exactly what the client wanted. So how dare we bash someone else taste. If that was our client we would have made the cake and we would have been proud....and after that we would have posted it here and would have EXPECTED good comments on it. So why is it that when another decorator makes something that we are not that into all of a sudden we have the right to bash it and say that it is ugly. If one of us would have posted any of the comments that were posted on this cake to one of the other decorators here, we would have had a fit, but because it is someone that we have put on a pedestal all of a sudden we have the right to judge.....I don't think so!!!! thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif Ok so maybe I wasn't a huge fan of the cake but that is just my taste, but I can't say it is ugly because it wasn't what I was expecting from Duff. Ok, so let say it was Lu that had made the cake and posted it, all of a sudden we would have all left comments, like, "great job!", or "how did you make the roof, I like the angle", or "I like the camo look of the building"...isn't that being fake....sorry not into that...

In my Forest Gump manner, my mother always tells me that everything that comes to my mind can't come out of my mouth...and yes I might have said a few things in the previous paragraph that might bother some..(but I felt it needed to be said)...but being rude to others not my thing....Maybe this makes us think before we are so quick to judge... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif .

ON a lighter note. Am I missing something on the "cancelled check" thread. I kept up with it all last weekend. Are you guys telling me that was fake.....ohhhhh come on people, please....do we need attention that bad that we are going to make up stories here. this makes me think of a photo that I saw on line not to long ago. It showed me how fake people can be on line....It is a funny pic...enjoy.

Bea

(edited to fix a few typos, icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif )

I agree with everything you said!

Yes the stop payment thread was apparently fake. Skip over into the 50's of pages and you will see. OP said someone else got in with her name then posted that story. Who knows what really happened. There were several new threads after that about the "real OP". and blah blah blah until the posts dissapeared! All in all a waste of time but entertaining to say the least!

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:56am
post #334 of 384

I don't get to see any pictures either...just red Xs. icon_sad.gif

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #335 of 384

Try clicking on the red X. It should bring the picture up in a window.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:09am
post #336 of 384

Lu, thank you so much for sharing.

I'm sorry you were given such a hard time for not being able to post the pics.

You made my day by posting them.

Thank you.

JenniferHeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferHeath Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:24am
post #337 of 384

Lu thanks so much for the pics. I got the whole "waiting to see this cake" thing. Ashamed to see that in 23 pages not one apology from the accusers. At least we have more thoughtfull members than unthoughtfull ones. Well for the few that were so rude, I'm sorry! I never thought it was a fake post. Thought it was increadibly sweet of your nephew to do that for his wife. I agree with the others - the effort he put into it made the cake!! icon_smile.gif

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:37am
post #338 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I think that when someone pays that much for a cake, it's likely that it could not possibly live up to the expectations of it.

I agree that the cake should taste really yummy and fresh and far more than your average chocolate cake or whatever, but the best thing I've ever tasted? Probably not. I think psychologically we start to think it's going to be something MORE than cake, and it's just not going to be. On the other hand, if we've paid $200 for it, we believe it's the best cake we've ever tasted.

Very true! And I (don't laugh) really do think AOC's expenses are probably very high. They have to be paying their employees a sh**load of money - they can't lose them, because then what would they do? So they probably pay a ton in wages, plus all those gadgets and the whole sawing/tools area.... I think it would add up very quickly. Not to say they aren't making a lot of profit, but I think their expenses would be high.

SugaredUp Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:40am
post #339 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I have to say, I'm a little shocked by that cake. You would think for $2 grand, it'd be looking a lot spiffier than that! Maybe a new guy did the cake?

A new guy! LOL

SugaredUp Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:42am
post #340 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailsgoodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9129

It's okay, i'm not gonna get stressed out about people who have trust issues.

First, thanks for posting the pictures.

Second, thanks for ignoring the people with the trust issues. Some of the people on here should just think things to themselves instead of posting and then they can just go to a different thread. That way they don't make anyone feel bad. KWIM?

Third, man that is one ugly cake!

Thanks again,
Gail

I just learned how to quote people!!! So now I'm really abusing it! LOL This whole post had me laughing my butt off!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:52am
post #341 of 384

OMG that is on so many levels not right...........I bet they could take this to court and get their money back.....holy crud.......they must be in love if they enjoyed the cake........I am happy for them.....phew this is one ugly cake............geeze, I can even do better thumbsdown.gificon_eek.gifdetective.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:09am
post #342 of 384

Hey Lu,
Seriously, people who said that the anticipation was torture and that you "shouldn't have mentioned it until the photos were up because it was killing them" (totally paraphrased!!!!) were saying that in a chiding way. Totally NOT seriously!!! Some good-natured rib-nudging! Like making a child wait until Christmas Day to open their gifts, instead of on Christmas Eve. There was no offense meant.

I hope you have a great day, and I sure hope your migraines go away. Good luck! And Thanks again for posting!

madgeowens Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:04am
post #343 of 384

Come on now people....cake is flour and eggs and a few other ingredients, and a creative one would require some talent, are we agreed? My 9 year old grand daughter could make a better cake than that for under ten bucks. That is a fact. tapedshut.gif
I feel sorry for those people. Did we ever hear how it tasted LOL, dear Lord it could not taste as bad as it looked or the health dept would shut em down.[/b]

madgeowens Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:06am
post #344 of 384
mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:35am
post #345 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredUp

Very true! And I (don't laugh) really do think AOC's expenses are probably very high. They have to be paying their employees a sh**load of money - they can't lose them, because then what would they do? So they probably pay a ton in wages, plus all those gadgets and the whole sawing/tools area.... I think it would add up very quickly. Not to say they aren't making a lot of profit, but I think their expenses would be high.

Just remember that Duff lives underneath the bakery-so his overhead is also his mortage/rent! -He does save money that way!

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:32pm
post #346 of 384

I read through the whole thread, it took me about an hour.
Now I've waited 24 hours to comment, that's a good rule of thumb.
First, Lu thank you for posting the pics, you know the internet can be a bruttal place sometimes.
#2 Your nephews wife is a lot bigger than I am. If my husband had uncovered that cake at a party for me and then told me that he had paid two thousand dollars for it I would have taken him by the back of the head and shoved his face into it, and then I would have turned on my heel and left the party. Regardless of what the cake looked like if my husband had spent that much money without consulting me he would be sleeping in the guest room for a very long time. See I told you she is a bigger woman than me.
Hoping your feeling better, try to walk today, oxegenating helps with migraines.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:46pm
post #347 of 384

Gee- new thought. Anyone figure his "bill" on a cake boss? LOL Like $200 for each figure, $20 per serving, etc? I know he probably didn't do it that way, exactly, but... I read so many thread son "how much do I charge...?" that I thought it would be funny to figure. Any "pros" out there have a guess as too how many servings it was?

I am with others here who posted--- it is ugly to me. I would never say that to a fellow CCer but Duff is a high profile, well paid pro and should put out value for $2K for every customer including the herein nephew.

Just my humble opinion.... icon_biggrin.gif

markiesjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markiesjules Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #348 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbur10

It's also good to keep in mind that we (as cakers) see lots of flaws that cake muggles would never notice.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif cake muggles icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

madgeowens Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #349 of 384

Oh, I don'y know, I sent the pic to a muggle, and she said what were they smoking LOL

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:24pm
post #350 of 384

Finally found the pictures.
Well, personally I think grass should be buttercream so you can see the blades, but then I don't care for fondant unless you need something smooth.
I like the trees and the contour of the land.
Did I miss how big it was?

CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #351 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Mooma

OMG! icon_surprised.gif

First I would like to say Thank you Lu for sharing, and yes among friends we can share ALL the excitement not just the parts that we are interested in.....Just want to add that.

Now did anybody stop to think that maybe just maybe this is exactly what the client wanted. So how dare we bash someone else taste. If that was our client we would have made the cake and we would have been proud....and after that we would have posted it here and would have EXPECTED good comments on it. So why is it that when another decorator makes something that we are not that into all of a sudden we have the right to bash it and say that it is ugly. If one of us would have posted any of the comments that were posted on this cake to one of the other decorators here, we would have had a fit, but because it is someone that we have put on a pedestal all of a sudden we have the right to judge.....I don't think so!!!! thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif Ok so maybe I wasn't a huge fan of the cake but that is just my taste, but I can't say it is ugly because it wasn't what I was expecting from Duff. Ok, so let say it was Lu that had made the cake and posted it, all of a sudden we would have all left comments, like, "great job!", or "how did you make the roof, I like the angle", or "I like the camo look of the building"...isn't that being fake....sorry not into that...

In my Forest Gump manner, my mother always tells me that everything that comes to my mind can't come out of my mouth...and yes I might have said a few things in the previous paragraph that might bother some..(but I felt it needed to be said)...but being rude to others not my thing....Maybe this makes us think before we are so quick to judge... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif .

ON a lighter note. Am I missing something on the "cancelled check" thread. I kept up with it all last weekend. Are you guys telling me that was fake.....ohhhhh come on people, please....do we need attention that bad that we are going to make up stories here. this makes me think of a photo that I saw on line not to long ago. It showed me how fake people can be on line....It is a funny pic...enjoy.

Bea

(edited to fix a few typos, icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif )

I agree with everything you said!

Yes the stop payment thread was apparently fake. Skip over into the 50's of pages and you will see. OP said someone else got in with her name then posted that story. Who knows what really happened. There were several new threads after that about the "real OP". and blah blah blah until the posts dissapeared! All in all a waste of time but entertaining to say the least!

Hold the cake! What post was a fake?? Are you talking about the MOB canceled the check the day of the wedding one?? and the served walmart sheet cakes or something?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #352 of 384

[quote="CakeandDazzle"]

Quote:

Hold the cake! What post was a fake?? Are you talking about the MOB canceled the check the day of the wedding one?? and the served walmart sheet cakes or something?

Yup, clearly someone with waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands that Easter weekend (and sucked the rest of us into spending waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time believing her story icon_redface.gificon_mad.gif !)

madgeowens Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #353 of 384

[quote="CakeandDazzle"][quote="Alice1230"][quote="Cake_Mooma"]OMG! icon_surprised.gif

As far as I know it is still a free country (don't know for how long now) but people are entitled to their opinions, no? Just like you are entitled to your opinion about their opinions hahahaha.
I still say no matter what they asked for, my grand daughter could make it nicer for ten bucks thumbs_up.gif Maybe we all need to chill and forget this crazy post. Lets look at the pics people posted today and make nice comments! thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #354 of 384

Well that was my attempt at the quote thingy LOL..........ehhhhhhhhhhhhh
did not work for me....oopsies.......we can criticize that like crazy....woohoo

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm
post #355 of 384

After reading this entire thread and anxiously awaiting photos...I suddenly realized that I am so lame. I am such a "CAKEHEAD" it's not even funny.

I mean to have my heart beating fast I as I clicked on the photos and to read the drama leading up to the pics and the reactions after the pics...just tells me how truly addicted I am to CakeCentral.

Someone help me please! icon_sad.gif

flymykite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flymykite Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #356 of 384

Ok, I was searching everywhere for the picture, and when I finally opened it, I could not believe it. I could have done that cake, after completing Course 3 Wilton class. I stopped watching that show. I got tired of just seeing the drama that goes on in a bakery. I wanted them to show more of how to actually make the cakes. Then as I got better at doing my own cakes, I noticed how unclean their lines and everything were. The cakes always looked cute, when they put the backgrounds behind them, but what cake wouldn't. I'm going to give Cake Boss a chance. Hopefully it will be better. I have seen such beautiful cakes on CC, that would put Duff to shame. I do like Geoff. I just can't get over the time the one girl went home sick, that was working on a cake. If that was my cake she was doing, and I saw that show, I would have been freaking out. Lu, you did a great job getting the pics on here. Next time, tell them you will do a cake for them for 1/2 the price!!!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:18pm
post #357 of 384

[quote="bonjovibabe"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

Quote:

Yup, clearly someone with waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands that Easter weekend (and sucked the rest of us into spending waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time believing her story icon_redface.gificon_mad.gif !)

Just had a mild heart attack.. ..... I though this was referring to the whole AOC picture and thread. But see now you were referring to the other drama.
sheesh.....i need a drink! icon_cool.gif

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #358 of 384

thank you for sharing your story and the picture...its not a bad cake...but it (to me at least) was not in the 2000.00 range!!!! so nice that we got to come along for the ride!!!! thank you thank you thank you!!!!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #359 of 384

oh man! i have to stop catching these threads on the tail end. I spent an entire afternoon catching up! well I was certainly dissapointed but the story was so cute. Thank you Lu for sharing! it seems like the cakes that get press or are on the show are great, but the cakes for the little people that don't get any air time are just mediocre. it's a shame. and someone mentioned about getting mad at hubby for spending that much $$.. I hear ya! I'd love to try one of his cakes but I would kill my husband for spending that much money. i was pissed when he got me a new kitchen aid mixer for my bday when I already had one... he missed the mark there. i wanted a bigger mixer, not a second one and I was really just wishing I had one... I was so mad he went and spent all that money without checking with me first. of course, I tried to be nice though, it is the thought that counts sometimes.

madgeowens Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #360 of 384

I love the little kitten pic LOL too cute..........
I was thinking about this today more, are we sure this entire post was not some sick joke? I mean maybe this cake was not made by AOC at all????? I mean how do we know? I just cannot believe that cake came from those people. I am in suspended disbelief...where did I hear that before hmmmm oh well just food for thought with frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%