Ace Of Cakes Cake

Decorating By lu9129 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 12:44am by FlourPots

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:51pm
post #241 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovely

It just simply doesn't look like something done by someone getting paid the big bucks or a design-school graduate. Sorry. Honesty.

sounds like what cake civilians say when they get a "simple" wedding cake that is more work than a tradtional one. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:51pm
post #242 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Would you guys listen to yourselves? icon_confused.gif

I've seen cakes way below this standard and read post after post after post of people oooohing and ahhhhhhing all over the place ... over a cake that is average. I read post after post on here saying we're suppose to "love and support" each other and the ever popular (make me gag with a big' ole spoon) cliche of "if you can't say anything nice dont' say anything".

But let someone command a fabulous price for a cake .... Duff cake, or what a celebrity paid for a 2 year old's birthday .... and the cat claws come out.

We've had threads where a cake civilian complained because a 2 tier 6/8 cake cost over $100 or $150. And we've had CC'ers "support" the cake makers side with "I don't turn my oven on for less than ....." (me included).

But let someone "not turn their oven on" for MORE than the average standard on here, and more cat claws come out. There are some posts on here that sound like comments I'd expect from cake civilians, not fellow cake creators.

Pricing minimums have to cover overhead. Look at what comes out of Charm City Cakes .... look at the level of talent he's hired. You don't get that for $2 over minimum wage. If that commands a higher "I dont' turn my oven on for less than ....." statement, then that's just how it works. If someone doesn't want to pay that, then as it's been said on here frequently: "Walmart .... Aisle 8 .... knock yourself out".

It is NOT an "ugly" cake. It's not a CCC SuperBowl cake, or Fist cake or any of the other fabulous creations you see on TV .... but those cakes don't sell for only $2000 either.

I just get tired of the inconsistencies. Very. Tired.

Lu and Lu's son .... thanks SO much for all the effort to post these pics for these Enquiring Minds! Appreciate it so much! thumbs_up.gif

...Amen sistah.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:53pm
post #243 of 384

Was there a design consult or was it just I want this...vauge w/ no details? It's very large but kinda plain icon_confused.gif

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm
post #244 of 384

All i can say is things are only worth what you are willing to pay for them... if you want to charge $2000 for a cake, and someone is willing to pay for it. THEN YOU GO GIRL! but if you can only get $300.00 for it, then it is worth $300. You essentially could take one house, and try to sell it in Los Angeles, and in Peduka Kentucky, and get 2 different prices for it. Take the same house and sell it in NY, and get a third price... But when we are talking about cake, well, thats different... but is it?

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #245 of 384

Ive been reading this thread and I dont know what to think. I think we need to take under consideration that mabe this is what the customer wanted. I dont think its an ugly cake, just not what weve seen on tv coming out of his shop. Thank youo Lu for all the trouble you went through to get this to us!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:59pm
post #246 of 384

Regardless of the cost of the cake, it does not demonstrate the usual attention to detail of a Charm City Cake. I'm not an architect, but the building is out of proportion; the roof angles are off; and it does not meet their usual high standards for appearance. A Charm City Cake is usually so polished and precise and detailed. They do extensive research whenever they create a cake. The only explanation I can think of is this: they're more precise wth the cakes that are shown on TV. But that doesn't seem plausible.

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #247 of 384

Is anyone else dying to know how they got it back to St.Louis in one peice???? Im sure that was no easy feat...

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:02pm
post #248 of 384
Quote:

I've seen cakes way below this standard and read post after post after post of people oooohing and ahhhhhhing all over the place ... over a cake that is average. I read post after post on here saying we're suppose to "love and support" each other and the ever popular (make me gag with a big' ole spoon) cliche of "if you can't say anything nice dont' say anything".

But let someone command a fabulous price for a cake .... Duff cake, or what a celebrity paid for a 2 year old's birthday .... and the cat claws come out.

We've had threads where a cake civilian complained because a 2 tier 6/8 cake cost over $100 or $150. And we've had CC'ers "support" the cake makers side with "I don't turn my oven on for less than ....." (me included).

But let someone "not turn their oven on" for MORE than the average standard on here, and more cat claws come out. There are some posts on here that sound like comments I'd expect from cake civilians, not fellow cake creators.

Pricing minimums have to cover overhead. Look at what comes out of Charm City Cakes .... look at the level of talent he's hired. You don't get that for $2 over minimum wage. If that commands a higher "I dont' turn my oven on for less than ....." statement, then that's just how it works. If someone doesn't want to pay that, then as it's been said on here frequently: "Walmart .... Aisle 8 .... knock yourself out".

It is NOT an "ugly" cake. It's not a CCC SuperBowl cake, or Fist cake or any of the other fabulous creations you see on TV .... but those cakes don't sell for only $2000 either.

I just get tired of the inconsistencies. Very. Tired.

Lu and Lu's son .... thanks SO much for all the effort to post these pics for these Enquiring Minds! Appreciate it so much! thumbs_up.gif

I must respectfully disagree...to a certain extent.

If we were all plastic surgeons, and people were balking at the prices paid for plastic surgery, then there must be a certain standard that is adhered to that makes the public want and trust us.

I see making sub-standard cakes with over-inflated prices as a dis-service to many of us. It makes people NOT trust us. It makes the person with the off-centered nose job who paid way more for a "Beverly Hills" doctor able to take the TRUST right out of our industry.

The cake is ok, maybe the pictures are not great, I dunno. But no one is going to bring that picture to someone like me, and hail this industry....or fork over 2k for something like it. Even if I could do it better or make it taste better. They've been burned.

I must add (as it seems like a caveat on CC...that I LOVE AOC....love DUFF...)

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:03pm
post #249 of 384

I hope there is no misunderstanding here,I don't think anyone here is questioning Lu or her judgment or her ability.If anything I feel this situation should make Lu very proud within her family members,lets remember we all come from all walks of life and something that might sound like a joke in one culture might be an insult in another.In addition the cake is NOT from a CC'r ,its from Duff. Another factor is that a baker will make a cake according to the specification of the customer.So as a previous poster said, let's know the story behind the design.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:08pm
post #250 of 384

I have 2 questions

1 - what are those things flying around the house and tree? Birds, angels, fairies? My eyes aren't so great anymore icon_lol.gif

2 - is that the box it came in?

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:13pm
post #251 of 384
Quote:

Ya' know I really like Duff but I was soooo disappointed with the cake (especially the color, green is sooo not my favorite!). I hope the people that received the cake were happy, cause that's really all that matters.

However Deb, you're absolutely correct! I tend to be one of those "if you can't say something nice (or at least funny!) don't say anything! icon_rolleyes.gif

Sooooo here we go....

I really like the fairies! icon_wink.gif

Gail

solascakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #252 of 384

gailsgoodies LMAO, fairies ?are you even sure they are fairies they look like flies. Oh sorry, say nice things tapedshut.gif

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:24pm
post #253 of 384

I see there are a lot of questions to Lu about the cake. I would be suprised if she answered at all with the previous accusations. We wanted the pic..she gave it. I don't think she will be asking her nephew all the "why did he pick that design"..to appease us.

Sorry..just disappointed with some of the comments.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm
post #254 of 384

I'm with Indydebi on this one. Duff was abl;e to charge $2K for this cake and get it. It might not look like some of the bakery's better work, but those cakes go for well over that price. The only unfortunate this was the poor service that the client got when picking the cake up. OP reported that the person who handed the cake over was an a$$. I don't care if it is a $2 order or a $2 thousand order, customers so always be appreciated - they keep us baking and creating!

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:46pm
post #255 of 384

Wow Lu-sorry you went through so much to share the pics with us. Thank you for doing so. I just hope everyone here remembers that Lu was trying to do a nice thing by sharing this event with us-but instead everyone jumped on her. I agree FeGe_Cakes I doubt that Lu will answer any of our questions. I know I wouldn't want to. And she did say in her last post that she is done with it. It's too bad...We've all been anxiously awaiting for details and now we won't get any because of everyone's impatience. Lu-hope you have a better weekend. Please still share with us in the future.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #256 of 384

[quote="gailsgoodies[/quote]

Ya' know I really like Duff but I was soooo disappointed with the cake (especially the color, green is sooo not my favorite!). I hope the people that received the cake were happy, cause that's really all that matters.

However Deb, you're absolutely correct! I tend to be one of those "if you can't say something nice (or at least funny!) don't say anything! icon_rolleyes.gif

Sooooo here we go....

I really like the fairies! icon_wink.gif

Gail[/quote]

What color would have him make grass? If the bottom is also cake, that is one enormous creation.

Before you all "dis" on this cake too much, keep in mind it may have been from a picture given to them, and it may have been exactly what they wanted. It looks a lot like a Thomas Kincaid picture to me, which I happen to think are ghastly, but with any luck it was exactly the theme they wanted and it brought joy to their hearts. I doubt they would have put fairies on a cake without being asked to...

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #257 of 384

Man, what a disappointment that was. I waited all day for these, and thank everyone who put the effort to getting them to us, but damn. I dont care what kind of fame you have. I could of walked into my local grocery store and got that cake. Damn, my five year old could of made that cake. And Im certain that if this cake was given to me after paying $2000 and the cake didnt taste "awesome" and looked like this, I would of asked for my money back. Yes he's a celebrity. But you keep giving customers this kind of product and it wont be long before your no longer famous.

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #258 of 384

I understand that they are able to command that kind of price. I know that the person that ordered this cake had to be aware of the $1000 minimum so I would assume that they just wanted a cake from Ace of Cakes.

However, while I understand that this is on the low end of pricing for CCC I have to say that I'm surprised they would let a cake that looks like this go out. I wouldn't say the cake is ugly. It just doesn't seem very professional to me.

I know we all have high expectations for CCC/AOC but I also have high expectations for myself and I would hope that I wouldn't let a cake like that go out with my name on it.

Like someone else said, what they do reflects on us all. I think that is where all the harsh words are coming from. I'm not saying the harsh words are okay but it's upsetting when such a well known place produces something of this caliber.

I know I have had weeks where I have sent out a cake that I saw imperfections in but I knew they were imperfections that only a caker would see.

Then again we don't know what was discussed between the client and CCC. Maybe the dots for flowers was a compromise to lessen the cost of the cake.

I don't know.

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:59pm
post #259 of 384

*shaking head*

Thank you IndyDebi for saying what I want to say.

People who pay for a Duff cake probably buy from them because they want to buy a "celebrity" cake. They aren't paying $2000 dollars for cake and frosting, they are paying for a 'brand name.'

I can get a purse from Wal-Mart or I can buy a Coach handbag. They both do the same thing - hold my stuff. But it's a STATUS SYMBOL. These people got a cake that they could tell people they were getting/have gotten a Duff cake. Otherwise, why fly to Baltimore to pick it up? Just get one close to home.

I had to let that out.

Thank you, Lu, for sharing your excitement and the photos with us! icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #260 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

... Like someone else said, what they do reflects on us all.

I'm sorry, I just think that's BS. I don't think anything AOC does reflects on me in any way. Please...

And if I'm wrong, the only way it reflects is in a positive way by showing what can be done with cake, how hard it is to do those things with cake, how much time and effort it takes to produce a unique cake, and that cake can be made to stand up, walk in circles around the room and set itself down on your plate. AND, that it costs a lot to do those things. I'm sorry, I just think this conversation is ridiculous.

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #261 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

What color would have him make grass? If the bottom is also cake, that is one enormous creation.

The only green I like is the color of money!! icon_wink.gif (Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

Gail

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:06pm
post #262 of 384

I am really dissapointed in the way some members have treated Lu. WHat a horrible experience to post a thread to let others know what a Duff cake was like, and then in an instant you are turned on. You should be ashamed of yourselves. And after all that you want to ask her questions! Unbelievable. I wouldn't answer you either.

I realize there have been posts lately that were made up, but let's all get over it and move on. Attacking someone because you "think" it might be fake is uncalled for. Just my humble opinion. icon_sad.gif

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #263 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice1230

I am really dissapointed in the way some members have treated Lu. WHat a horrible experience to post a thread to let others know what a Duff cake was like, and then in an instant you are turned on. You should be ashamed of yourselves. And after all that you want to ask her questions! Unbelievable. I wouldn't answer you either.

I realize there have been posts lately that were made up, but let's all get over it and move on. Attacking someone because you "think" it might be fake is uncalled for. Just my humble opinion. icon_sad.gif

What she said...

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #264 of 384

i just don't understand how that cake made it on an airplane, cakes are really heavy and it's not like you could throw it in the overhead cargo. On your lap it would be too long and too wide for one seat. Maybe there's more room in first class, i don't know as i've never been there. All that detail but what's up with the tiny dot's of bc or royal for the flowers maybe? I mean fondant is AOC's thing so, just saying.

thanks lu for sharing with us!!

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #265 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

... Like someone else said, what they do reflects on us all.

I'm sorry, I just think that's BS. I don't think anything AOC does reflects on me in any way. Please...

And if I'm wrong, the only way it reflects is in a positive way by showing what can be done with cake, how hard it is to do those things with cake, how much time and effort it takes to produce a unique cake, and that cake can be made to stand up, walk in circles around the room and set itself down on your plate. AND, that it costs a lot to do those things. I'm sorry, I just think this conversation is ridiculous.

You have a right to your opinion.

As do I. The only reason I say that what they do can reflect on us is...

I remember when I was a kid I had a lot of bad experiences with doctors. So now as an adult I have a hard time going to a doctor b/c I don't trust them.

The same thing could be said for decorators, all decorators. If someone has a bad experience with one decorator then they may never want to deal with a decorator again. They may go as far as to convince others why they should not go to a decorator and just go to WalMart.

Now on the positive side. Duff and AoC has down a LOT to show the public what is posible with cakes. I THANK them for opening up peoples minds to a more outside of the box thought process when it comes to designing cakes.

Everyone is human and we ALL make mistakes.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #266 of 384

Thank you Lu for posting...and ignore all the other ignorant people.! First off I am in no way impressed with the cake. I am thinking someone "new" must have made it. The way I feel about it is, that I would never pay that kind of money for a cake, although for some reason, if I did it better "knock my socks off!" which that cake doesn't. Although like others said, this could be exactly what the customer ordered. I know in my experience I have made what I feel is an "ugly" cake and the customer loved it. I too know someone that had a AOC cake first hand, and wasn't impressed in it for the price. I agree with the others and think it is just a "status thing". I am just not getting the whole camo like house, and the dots of multi-colored icing...although maybe I am just not seeing it....:c)

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #267 of 384
Quote:

AMEN!!!

and solascakes mentioned:

Quote:
Quote:

In addition the cake is NOT from a CC'r ,its from Duff.

But you know what... they are very much people who check in on CC and Mary Alice often responds...

------------------------------
There's a little exercise that uses a very popular Bible verse and inserts your name into the blank vs. the standard "love."

(The exercise goes like this: 1 Corinthians 13:4 states Love is patient, Love is kind... now, replace that with your name... how do you measure up?)

Now, take that same little exercise and insert your name(s) into previous posts... how would you feel if you were to open this Forum Topic and read some of the very ugly, very catty things being said about yourselves, your product, and your integrity?

I say it's time to lock it up and go home, folks.

Ruth0209 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #268 of 384

I think the "camo" is supposed to be like rock, and the multi-colored dots are meant to be a field of flowers. I actually rather liked that part of it.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm
post #269 of 384

Well, I have been lurking, and I'm going to jump in here.

Debi, I completely respect you and your opinion (or whatever... sp is NOT up to par), and I do agree with you to a point. However, I think that we ooh and aahh over cakes that might not be that great because we are encouraging people to keep going and to get better with each cake (and who are NOT prof). By the time you are commanding $1000 base price, I think that there is an expectation to be a cut above.

Now, don't get me wrong. My DD is totally into fairies and imagination and so forth, and would LOVE a cake like this. My one criticism is that we ALL know that in fairie-land, the roofs are thatched. HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!! All in all I think that if I had have ordered a cake for a little girl that was Fairies and a medeveil ( whatever) feel to it, this would be a perfect cake.

Thank you for sharing this experience!!!

solascakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #270 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Well, I have been lurking, and I'm going to jump in here.

Debi, I completely respect you and your opinion (or whatever... sp is NOT up to par), and I do agree with you to a point. However, I think that we ooh and aahh over cakes that might not be that great because we are encouraging people to keep going and to get better with each cake (and who are NOT prof). By the time you are commanding $1000 base price, I think that there is an expectation to be a cut above.

Now, don't get me wrong. My DD is totally into fairies and imagination and so forth, and would LOVE a cake like this. My one criticism is that we ALL know that in fairie-land, the roofs are thatched. HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!! All in all I think that if I had have ordered a cake for a little girl that was Fairies and a medeveil ( whatever) feel to it, this would be a perfect cake.

Thank you for sharing this experience!!!

This is so true.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%