Cake Board Support For Tall Cake Question

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 8:26pm by KristyCakes

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a tall cake and will put dowel supports & board between every 4 layers (before covering in fonant). Silly question, but when I stack fondant cakes, the board rests on a fondant layer. When stacking a cake to be covered at the end with fondant, do I need to glue 2 boards back to back so that I have 2 waxy sides? Won't the board absorb the moisture from the cake on one side if I don't? Thanks in advance!

4 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 5

When you say board....do you mean a little cardboard round? Some will say yes, cover it, others will say no. When I used cardboard, I didn't. I have since moved on to foam core wrapped with Press n Seal, so no issues there.

And technically, the board should be "resting" on your support system (dowels, straws, SPS, what have you), barely touching the cake beneath it, and absolutely not enough to put any pressure on that bottom cake whatsoever.

Also, this statement "to be covered in fondant at the end" implies (to my understanding anyways) that you are going to cover the whole cake with fondant after it is stacked? Meaning one huge sheet of fondant to cover every part of the whole cake in one piece? Sorry...that's how I interpreted it....hope I am wrong.

KristyCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks, Jamie!
Yes, I meant a little cardboard round with one waxy side. I usually put my cake directly on this waxy round. I also will dowel the bottom 4 layer cake and then stack the 2nd 4-layer cake on top (with cake board). Even though the board won't rest on the cake pressure-wise, I'm sure it will touch and suck up the moisture? I've never considered covering these little rounds for between cake layers. And you are right, will be covering the cake in 1 sheet of fondant. It's going to be a dome shape, body of a giraffe. Thanks for your help. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 5

Ahhhhh....that clarifies it...lol! I was thinking of a tiered cake with different cake sizes! No, you don't have to worry about that. It has very little surface area with which to suck moisture anyways. You're cool!

KristyCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 5

Great! Thank you so much. I've got cakes all over the kitchen at the moment and GREATLY APPRECIATE your response.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%