Fondant Or Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By JP Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 1:26am by BeeBoos-8599_

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 6

Inspired by the great talent on CC, I am going to attempt some flowers for an upcoming cake project. I would appreciate any feedback on your preference for fondant or gumpaste roses? Is either medium easier to work with? Better to color?

Thanks for your help!

5 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP

Inspired by the great talent on CC, I am going to attempt some flowers for an upcoming cake project. I would appreciate any feedback on your preference for fondant or gumpaste roses? Is either medium easier to work with? Better to color?

Thanks for your help!

Fondant is easier to work with because you have more time to play (doesn't dry out as fast as gp) but gp makes more realistic flowers because you can roll the gp really thin. Coloring is the same for both.

There are many videos available on youtube showing you how to make the flowers using either medium.

Here's just one of Edna's (tonedna) showing how she makes her gp rose. She also has one for a calla lily. They are a series of videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqiNRkSQLf8&feature=PlayList&p=6FA5C5B3F107BDB7&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=14

I also really loved Michele Fosters (Sugarflowers) dvd - in it she shows you how to make everything that is in her avatar pic.
http://www.lickthespoonproductions.com/

Have fun!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 6

I prefer a 50/50 blend because you get the best of both worlds however, i think gum paste can tend to dry rough looking. If you want the ultimate in great to work with try cold porcelain. It is non toxic and can be put directly on the cake. The texture is wonderfull and you can get paper thin with it. I get mine at Hobby Lobby.

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely check out YouTube.

Can you please tell me what cold porcelain is? Is it a clay-like medium?

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #5 of 6

I keep my gumpaste under a cup when I work with it so it wont dry out on me, and my tub of crisco next to me because I am constantly greasing my hands to keep it pliable.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:26am
post #6 of 6

Cold Porcelain is a clay like product that looks like porcelain when it dries but it does not need baking because it air dries. It is really smooth and I love to work with it. You can allmost see through the petals when you use it. Hobby lobby carries it in the clay department. I then color my completed flowers with either petal dust or nontoxic chalks. You will love working with it. If you do a google search you can find recepies to make your own but I have allways just purchased it. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%