How Much Cake?

Decorating By crnadeau Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 6:54am by xstitcher

crnadeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnadeau Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 5

I'm a new cake decorator. I am doing a cake for Saturday and plan to assemble the cake at her house tomorrow night. She said she will have between 30 - 50 guests. I planned on making a 2-layer 8" and a 2-layer 6" cake stacked. Is this enough cake? Should I also mak a 2-layer 10"? If any of you would get back to me soon I would greatly appreciate it!!!

ETA: also I know I need to use some type of support between the layers so it doesn't crush the bottom cake (learned the hard way last weekend). What does everyone use? Wood dowels? and can I buy them at Jo Ann's?

ETA: This is a birthday cake for 3 year old. Could I just use a 2-layer 10" and a 2-layer 8"?

Thanks,
Chris
a newbie

4 replies
Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 5

Is this a wedding cake? Will the top tier be saved for the bride and groom? If not the 6" will feed 12, the 8" will feed 24, the 10" will feed 38 all 1x2x4 inch slices using 2 inch deep pans. Yes use dowels in the cake. I use wooden and I buy them at Michael's. Hope this helps you.

crnadeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnadeau Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 5

Anyone? I added to my post icon_smile.gif Thanks so much!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:43am
post #4 of 5

That's a big spread in the # of guests. The customer is going to have to decide how big they want to go.
As butterfly said, the 10x4" and 6x3 round will give you the biggest # of servings (50).
For that size cake plastic drink straws will work just fineicon_smile.gif They are sooooooo much easier to obtain, cut and use icon_smile.gif Make sure you put the 6" cake on a 6" board.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:54am
post #5 of 5

What ^^^ they said.

Here's a link for Wilton's cutting guide (keep in mind the size of the servings is what Butterfly27 mentioned):

http://cakecentral.com/article14-Cake-Baking-Cutting--Serving-Guide---2-in-Deep-Pans.html

I was just going to ditto what kakeladi said about the straws and the cake board, the thicker the straws the better.

Here's a link on how to stack cake but you can replace the dowels with straws (much easier) and you do not need the center dowel as your doing it at location.

http://cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%