*sob* I Forgot The Oil.

Decorating By SeeChicletRun Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 5:25am by xstitcher

SeeChicletRun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeeChicletRun Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 6

This morning I was making a couple cakes for a friends Dads 50th birthday. I have three kids, 5,4 and 1. The 1 year old is teething and the 4 year old is a fondant monster....so I get measuring and mixing and have my pans all ready and pour it all in, put them in the oven and start on the dishes and turn around and my oil is sitting on the island...a cup of oil...not in the batters. *sob* The cakes had been in the oven at 325 for 5 minutes, the batter wasnt warm but when I poured the batter into a new bowl it looked like the bubbles had started forming. *sob* I quickly mixed the oil in, washed and re-prepared my pans all while my 1 year old was screaming at me. *sigh* The batter looked really flat...has anyone had a successful cake after a mishap like this? I ran out of one of the ingredients so I would have to go to the store if I have to make it again. Ug. *sigh*

5 replies
KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 6

Awwww! sorry that happened. We've all done it at some point. Just last week I only added half the sugar called for in my son's birthday cupcakes. They came out a tad tougher than usual but still edible. So I called them low-sugar cupcakes. People still loved them, even more so because they were "low sugar". not the same I know, but still...

I would still mix in the oil and see where that takes you. I would think that it could still work as the oil did not have to be creamed with the sugar & eggs in the first place anyway. Worst case, the cake falls flat but you could still use it for scraps & such or even "invent" a whole new dessert for your family. keeping my fingers crossed for you.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 6

I did that with eggs!! I made two ten inch cakes, mixed them up, poured them into the pans and thought "hmmm..these feel thicker than usual." but threw them into the oven anyways. I started cleaning up and then it hit me. EGGS!! Then had only been in the oven a few minutes, so I did the same thing-pulled em out, re mixed, etc. And yes, screaming baby in the background lol! It ended up turning out fine, as far as I could tell, and everyone said it tasted great. But I could just kick myself.

cata262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata262 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 6

I know the feeling !!! i did it with the cake, forgot the egg whites - 5 min after i got it out, mixed them and some how it came out good icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #5 of 6

It happens to everyone. You're just thinking SH*T, OH SH*T!! Hope it turned out ok!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:25am
post #6 of 6

I've had the same type of thing happen to me and I've constantly got the kids distracting me too. What I started doing is grab a scrap piece of paper and write down the list of ingredients (my own made up acronyms of course icon_lol.gif) and cross them out as I add to the mix. I home school my oldest 2 so I am constantly being bombarded with ?'s from them and I still have to contend with my 3 and 1 year old. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%