I Think I Hae My First Paying Customer, (Nervous)

Decorating By Creative_chika Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 1:47am by Creative_chika

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 13

Hello everyone! I'm feeling kind of nervous because I recently got an email from a lady that wants me to do her daugthers wedding cake. It's a very simple cake- chocolate, covered in fondant, some swirls, and ribbon.... But I cant help to be nervous because I dont know this person, and I haven't had my home inspected or approved. But it is okay to sell cakes from home here in NC. I keep thinking what if she's from the health department icon_wink.gif Maybe I'm just exagerating, but I've read and commented on sooooo many post that talk about this.... Just had to vent!!! Actually, this is the first time I vent on here icon_smile.gificon_confused.gif

Have a great day everyone!!!

12 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 13

Well then be as clean and sanitary as possible and deliver don't let her pick it up. You'll be fine, don't worry.

Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 13

Doing ANYTHING creative for someone you don't know is always somewhat frightening. You will do great . In my experience, the things I've been most nervous about turn out fine. Reality is seldom as bad as what we imagine!

Creative_chika Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks...

Jamie- I will most def take your words into consideration. I was about to give her my address!!! wewww!! Thanks

Andy- Very true... icon_smile.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 13

Jamie is right. I never let people come to my home, but it's b/c I have a 2 year old,a hubby, and a roommate! I figure it's easier for me to leave than it is to get them to leave or stay out of the living room! My home is my personal space,and I don't want strangers who I don't know anything about coming in here!
Good luck, I'm sure everything will turn out great!

Edited to add...Creative chicka...your cakes are gorgeous! I know you'll be great. Just make sure not to underprice yourself just because she is your first paying customer! You do great work!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 13

Congrats! And if you live in NC, you totally need to get licensed! Your one of the lucky states that can bake out of your house! I wish I lived in NC. =o)

Creative_chika Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 13

I plan on doing so, sadly I have to get rid of my cat icon_sad.gif So, I'll be baking at my moms in the mean time...

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 13

I don't know my feeling is if you're feeling "uneasy" about this person, then go with your instinct.

Did she say how she got your name and number?

Creative_chika Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:23am
post #9 of 13

Yes she did, from an ad I posted. But after posting it, I thought about the whole situation I could get myself into. I just have to look into the whole licensing thing.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:39am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

But I cant help to be nervous because I dont know this person, and I haven't had my home inspected or approved. But it is okay to sell cakes from home here in NC. I keep thinking what if she's from the health department Wink Maybe I'm just exagerating, but I've read and commented on sooooo

It is okay to sell cakes in NC out of your home IF you are inspected and legal. I would seriously consider getting inspected. There is not much to it and it gives you and your customers peace of mind. I would go on your gut feeling though.. More then likely its just someone looking for a wedding cake but you never know!

kookykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kookykakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:40am
post #11 of 13

I was scared silly on my first paying order. I still get nervous. I worry about if I'm doing a good enough cake everytime I sell one. I think it's because I'm not used to dealing with the public in this manner yet. It does get eaiser.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative_chika

Yes she did, from an ad I posted. But after posting it, I thought about the whole situation I could get myself into. I just have to look into the whole licensing thing.

That's the best thing to do. A lot of the venues require proof of license/insurance from the cake provider anyway, so it's best to have all of that in place.

As far as your cat goes, do you have to get rid of him/her or just keep it out of the kitchen while you are working?

I'm in MA and have a second kitchen in my basement that's licensed. As long as my door stays closed and the cat stays out of there it's OK to have a pet.

Maybe your state has the same rule, I hope it does! icon_smile.gif

Creative_chika Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:47am
post #13 of 13

Well thats a good question. I guess I have to ask again, because thats the only reason I haven't started the whole process.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%