Color Flow Bled Through

Decorating By cakedecor8 Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 11:12pm by joy5678

cakedecor8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedecor8 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:33am
post #1 of 5

I attached my color flow piece to my cake with some leftover green icing, but this morning, the green had bled through and ruined the color flow! It's too late to fix and I don't have time to do another piece, but how do I prevent this from happening again? Can you only attach color flow at the last minute before serving? I posted a picture in Cake Disasters.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 5

It is best to put color flow (or any Royal pieces, for that matter) on as late in the decorating process as you can. Buttercream can break down royal, especially any thin areas.

Some people recommend placing sugar cubes in the cake (raised up just a little from the buttercream icing), royal on top of those, and then attaching the color flow piece to that. It works very well.

HTH
Rae

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 5

Wow, this is good to know! Im working on a piece tonight. So basically anything can be used to keep the design from touching the b/c? Like a gramham cracker.

How many people actually eat the color flow/RI??? If they dont, can we just maybe cut out a piece of wax or saran and put it on it?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

Wow, this is good to know! Im working on a piece tonight. So basically anything can be used to keep the design from touching the b/c? Like a gramham cracker.

How many people actually eat the color flow/RI??? If they dont, can we just maybe cut out a piece of wax or saran and put it on it?

Sure, that will work. Kids tend to try to eat them--they're pretty hard, but sweet.

Rae

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 5

I have started making my colorflow pieces on plaques. I cut my gumpaste out the same size as the piece. Let it dry, then trace the outline onto the gumpaste. Then outline it with royal icing and fill it in. So much easier for me because I can do it in advance, let it set and dry, then apply to cake without the "fear" of it turning out correctly. Just didn't have much luck with regular transfers. Buttercream can be built up underneath it so that it gives it a 3-D effect too. I like the sugar cube idea also. Hope this all makes sense!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%