Who Has Tried The Recipes From Martha's Wedding Cake Book?

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm by 2sweetcookies

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:13am
post #1 of 22

As birthday present a while ago my hubby bought me the Martha Stewart Wedding Cake book. I want to try her recipes and I was wondering if any of you have and what you opinion was on them, both the cakes and the frostings.

Mostly when I bake I start with a cake mix, like the durable cake recipe, darn good choc. cake, Diane's German choc. cake, or sometimes WASC...basically, I have never really made a cake from scratch. I do make my fillings and buttercreams from scratch so I don't know what I am so afraid of.

What do you guys think??
THanks,
Sarah

21 replies
BakeLoveMom Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 22

BUMP...sorry,

Thanks.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 22

sorry no haven't ever tried them but here is a bump

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 22

When I took my first Wilton class my instructor gave us recipes that started with cake mix and I used them for years and they were great. I too was given a cake book for a present, but mine was by Sylvia Weinstock. I tried a few recipes and have never gone back to the cake mix. It is trial and error. Some of the recipes I did not like, but eventually all of my cake mixes have been replaced by scratch cakes. I can't comment on Martha's wedding cake recipes, but I can tell you that her petits four recipe is unbelievable.

crazycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycaker Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 22

I've used some of the recipes -- they are good. She gives pretty detailed directons too, if you are new to scratch baking. Keep notes on what you bake, how long you mix (like write down cream for 2 minutes on speed #6). It helps when you go to bake in the future -- you will make more consistent cakes that way.

Sylvia's recipes are also excellent. I use her white and yellow cakes as the basis for most of my recipes. She also gives detailed directions.

hazelnut77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelnut77 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 22

I have the book and have used several recipes, they're great. In fact, i just took a marble cake out of the oven icon_smile.gif

BakeLoveMom Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 22

Sorry, it took so long, but I work at 12's at a hospital. Thanks so much everyone, I will start trying them this weekend. I will be testing them out on friends and family of course. I feel much encouraged now.

Thanks again,
Sarah

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #8 of 22

I have had the book for a while. I'm not sure if I forgot that there were recipes in it...or if I never knew they had them. But I just found them 2 or 3 days ago. I think I'm going to try a couple of them in next couple of weeks. Let me know which ones you are going to make and I'll make something else. Then we can let each other know what we think, and if the cake is worth making. =o)

I hate boxed cake mixes, so I'm trying to come up with an all scratch menu. =o)

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:08am
post #9 of 22

I've had the book for years, and it's the one that got me started baking larger cakes, back in the early '90s. I love the recipes for the IMBC and the cake that goes with it. For reliability, though, I use The Cake Bible, because Martha's Italian Buttercream Cake doesn't always rise the way it should (it depends on buttermilk and soda for its leavening). For flavor, though, it can't be beat. Also, the canapes and other foods are really good - and beautiful, of course.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #10 of 22

I recently made her carrot cake and it is awsome! It is now my "carrot cake" recipe that I offer my brides!

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:25am
post #11 of 22

Oh I also use her coconut cake for my brides as well. icon_biggrin.gif

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #12 of 22

I recently made her carrot cake and it is awsome! It is now my "carrot cake" recipe that I offer my brides!

BakeLoveMom Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:14am
post #13 of 22

oooh, I am so glad. I will be trying the first couple recipes this week for a surprise cake for my sister-in-law who is turning 40, and my hubby is turning 30 soon and he loves carrot cake so I will make that for him. Thanks so much.

Sarah

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #14 of 22

Sorry about the double post above. I'm not sure what happened.

I'm making her "Yellow cake" this morning so I'll let you know how it turns out.

BakeLoveMom Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #15 of 22

Oh, good, thanks, yellow cake is the first one I am going to make on Weds. Let me know.

Thanks again,

Sarah

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #16 of 22

Her yellow cake is good. I halfed the recipe and added 2 tsp of vanilla extract for more flavor. I still prefer Syvia Weinstocks yellow cake recipe. I think the sour cream adds more flavor to the cake than whole milk.

BakeLoveMom Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:06pm
post #17 of 22

Is this the SW recipe you use???? I found this on homecoking.com

Thanks again

2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) sweet butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites
Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and line two 8 x 3-inch baking pans or one 12 x 3-inch pan with parchment.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Cream the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy and light in color, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the sugar and continue to mix until fluffy and light.

Add the egg yolks, one at a time, being sure each is well incorporated before adding the next one. Add the vanilla.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour. Be sure the mixture is completely blended after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and beat for 1 minute.

In a separate bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter with a rubber spatula.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans and smooth with a rubber spatula. Bake in the preheated oven, 60 minutes for the 12-inch square pan or 45 to 50 minutes for the 8-inch pan. The top of the cake should be nicely browned. Test for doneness with a skewer or a toothpick; the tester should come out dry and clean.

Top with Buttercream Icing.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #18 of 22

I agree, the carrot and coconut cake recipes are absolutely fantastic. I'm not a carrot cake lover, but this recipe turned me into one. I also love the mocha spice and her yellow cake recipe.

The ones that didn't turn out well for me were the chocolate and pistachio ones. I haven't tried them all, but I've had some good success with quite a few.

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:05pm
post #19 of 22

Champagneibo, that's the recipe!

BakeLoveMom Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:16am
post #20 of 22

Thanks so much everyone, can't wait. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #21 of 22

It sounds like I'm going to have to try Martha's carrot cake. I've been looking for a good recipe!

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
post #22 of 22

I love the yellow cake, I use her recipe all the time.

Has anyone tried the chocolate or devils food?

Hazelnut77 please let me know how the marble came out. I hate making marble for some reason it's not my thing. I have a wedding and big graduation cake coming up and of course they both want marble, I was going to try this recipe this weekend , curious to know if it's worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%