Pudding Mix To Flavor Buttercream?

Baking By Parable Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm by Parable

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know if you can use regular (not instant) pudding mix to flavor buttercream icing? I have a french vanilla mix that I think would taste really yummy on a champagne cake but...... I haven't ever seen where someone has tried this before. Someone has said it works for bettercreme but I can't get my hands on any.

Thanks in advance for your input!

6 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #2 of 7

I have used instant white chocolate pudding to flavor buttercream. I would think the regular would flavor it as well. Can you just try a little to check it out first? That's what I would do.

Beth in KY

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 7

I've never heard of this being done in buttercream (I have in cake mixes though). I would think that you would add the dry pudding mix to the dry powdered sugar and sift together. Let us know how it turns out and how it affects the consistency issue. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:04am
post #4 of 7

Thanks Beth! Yippy.... Can you tell me if it changes the consistency any? Did you just add it to taste?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:18am
post #5 of 7

I used one 3 oz pkg to a double recipe of buttercream and it didn't change the consistency at all that I could tell. I did sift it with the powdered sugar. GOOD LUCK and HAPPY BAKING!

Beth in KY

Parable Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #6 of 7

Beth thanks again. Here I go.........

Bob, I'll get back with the results.

Parable Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 7

OK, I did it. The consistency is fine, the flavor is heavenly but...........

it turned the icing "yellow....ish", like the color if you had made the pudding. What can I do? Can I add White/White or would a touch of violet diffuse the yellow? I was really expecting an off-white color, i.e, champagne. I can't believe I didn't think about the color issue beforehand. Oh well, you live and learn by your mistakes....right?

Any suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%