How Many Hours Per Week Do You With A Bussiness Work?

Decorating By luv_to_decorate Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 1:31am by luv_to_decorate

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:59am
post #1 of 16

I don't do cake as a business just for family and friends. I guess most of us that don't do this for a living think we would love to because we love doing cakes or baking in general. I am curious as to how many hours that those of you that do run a bakery or cake business spend per week. I am sure there are months that are much busier than others but in general how many hours? Excuse me if this has been asked multiple times before.

15 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:06am
post #2 of 16

I, too, would like to know if it's possible to open a shop and not KILL yourself working for the first 2-3 years.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:10am
post #3 of 16

Well, let's see...10 to 12 hours a day 6 days a week...60 - 72 hours a week. I feel like I am slacking if it is down to 50 hours a week....some have been 80+ hours.

Don't think it is easy!

Edit: Two more things...been doing this for 14 years.

Record: 36 hours straight...went in at 7 AM om Friday and did not leave until 7 PM Saturday night.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #4 of 16

I'm guessing not....Early morning hours....long decorating hours, and weekend delivery hours.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringFlour

I, too, would like to know if it's possible to open a shop and not KILL yourself working for the first 2-3 years.

NO.

Seriously, "in season" I probably work 60-80 hours, mostly 16-20 hour days at the end of the week. I try to take Mondays off, but OTOH that's when I concentrate on marketing stuff. Out of season when I'm not in the kitchen so much, I'm still putting in 40+ doing marketing, updating websites, networking etc.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:14am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringFlour

I am not sure how that works.
I work an average of 60 to 90 hours a week. A very slow week for me may be about 55-58 hours.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:15am
post #7 of 16

Thanks, Leah. I've been figuring at least 60 hour weeks. I really want to start my own business, but, being in CA, I have to jump in with 2 feet. I think I'll be waiting a few more years. I really don't want to make that kind of time commitment with 2 little kids at home. I figure I'd learn a lot from just working in someone else's shop for a while, too. Sigh. Someday.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:17am
post #8 of 16

I manage a bakery/donut shop. Besides myself I have 2 other f/t decorators, a f/t baker, a f/t donut maker and a p/t closer. With all that being said I am still there 56-62 hrs a week. But that is not all "caking" There's paperwork, ordering, employee related stuff, schedules and not to mention the ever ringing phone.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:17am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

I feel like I am slacking if it is down to 50 hours a week....some have been 80+ hours...been doing this for 14 years.

Oh Classic that is disappointing. I keep thinking I am just working this hard because I haven't even been in business 2 years. I was hoping to slow down a little by 14 years...

luv_to_decorate Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 16

Thanks for the replies. Thought that might be the answer from most of you. Those that work legally from home, do you also put in that many hours? How do you have time for anything else?

luv_to_decorate Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

Well, let's see...10 to 12 hours a day 6 days a week...60 - 72 hours a week. I feel like I am slacking if it is down to 50 hours a week....some have been 80+ hours.

Record: 36 hours straight...went in at 7 AM om Friday and did not leave until 7 PM Saturday night.

You go girl!!! icon_wink.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #12 of 16

60 -70 hours a week is an average week. The last day I had off was Christmas, and my husband works the same kind of hours, but we are a pretty big operation..

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #13 of 16

I feel like I have slowed down. It was always 70 - 80 hours a week. After about 6 years it went to 70, then 60, now it is 50 - 60, except when I take a day off here and there and it actually gets to 40 occasionally during the winter.

Now, it just takes so much time to RUN the business. I don't decorate very much any more. I could have had 1000's of pictures in the gallery at one time. Now, I only do 3 or 4 custom cakes a week most weeks. I have a FABULOUS staff.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:25am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

Thanks for the replies. Thought that might be the answer from most of you. Those that work legally from home, do you also put in that many hours? How do you have time for anything else?

I work legally from home.

I also run our B&B with DH, we have rental houses, and an extended stay cottage, I am VP of a Wedding Networking group, I serve on my city's Board of Zoning Adjustment twice a month (Vice-Chair) and attend various community meetings, and am in a book club that meets once a month. So, yes, I have time for other things. I'm mostly keeping up with 2 blogs and constantly marketing my businesses. Fortunately I don't need a lot of sleep.

I also have a laptop in my kitchen, so while somethings' baking or cooling, I can update a website, and surf.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #15 of 16

I own a shop and it is just me doing it all. I do all cakes on order but I do other cake beside decorated cakes. I try to take Mondays off, that doesn't always happen. I work 5 - 6 days a week 10 - 12 hour days. Depends on the day, later in the week longer the days. It is hard work, but I do love what I do.

luv_to_decorate Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #16 of 16

Leahs. I can see your love to stay busy. Now I know why you are able to reply and be involved so much on CC with a lap top in your kitchen. That is a big help. Let me say this to all of you that do this for a living, thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to be on CC and respond with advice and ideas. You are what helps make this site work so well. Hats off to all of you icon_biggrin.gif . OK, hat's on. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%