Tiffany Box Cake

Decorating By cakecitycakes Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 5:49pm by sugarshack

cakecitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecitycakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 7

I've been asked to make a Tiffany box cake and have absolutely no experience doing something like this. I figure it should fit on a 12" board it being a 10" square cake. Could anyone with experience share their steps on constructing a cake like this? Any hints would be so helpful!
Thanks in advance,
Nicole icon_smile.gif

6 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 7

I'm waiting to see the responses. I also have a tiffany box cake to make. I did mail away for Sugarshacks Bows and Boxes DVD. Everyone says it's well worth the money.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 7

I got Sugarshacks Bows and Boxes DVD - it came in 2 days. All I can say is that it is well worth the money. She teaches you several different types of boxes and bows. As far as the Tiffany Box you can cover your cake in fondant or buttercream. The box top will be made from fondant/tylose powder mixture. She makes the box top in 5 pieces - top and sides. You have to make sure they dry for several days before putting them on the cake. Sharon also used melted chocolate as an adhesive since it sets up very quickly. Hope this helps.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 7

you can also make the box top from covering the bottom of a 10" pan (or whatever pan size your cake is) with fondant.

Dust the pan liberally with corn starch. Cover the pan like you would a cake, but then cut the sides down to the height you want it to be (ideally, 1/3 the height of your cake box).

Allow to dry a few days before taking off the pan. Brush away the corn starch. It should fit right onto your cake box.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys for the plug!

U have 2 more options if u dont like the 2 mentioned:

1) a soft fondant overlay lid direclty onto the cake
2) a soft 2 piece fondant lid done directly on the cake.

You have many options, depending upon the look you want and how much prep time you have.

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:42am
post #6 of 7

The Tiffany box cake is beautiful. A friend sent me a picture of one from a bridal shower. Of course as a newbie, I wanted to learn how to make one. After reading a forum here on CC about Sharon's Boxes and Bows DVD, I ordered it. I am so excited and can't wait until it arrives.

I was wondering which combination of colors to use to achieve the color...does anyone know?

Thanks!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 7

I use sky and teal.

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%