Cake Muggles...ugh!

Business By cakesdivine Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm by __Jamie__

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 10

I think we have all been bombarded with customer stupidity lately...

Received an email this morning for a tiered anniversary cake to feed 150 but their budget was $100 to $150! icon_eek.gifthumbsdown.gif I informed them that Walmart couldn't even do it for that.

My own niece sent me an email yesterday informing me that I should do her cake AND the catering for her big reception in June (yes this June) as her wedding gift! And that she will get back with me on their menu choice! Don't get me wrong I love my niece but that was really out of line for her to TELL me that that is what I should do. I told her I could only do the cake like I had promised her and all my nieces & nephews.

My other sister's (I have 3) son is getting married in July, She sent me the picture of what the btb likes, then she proceeds to tell me that the cake seems too unstable because the tiers are so close in size (only a 2" difference in each) and that the tiers were too tall to be stable. I just laughed. The cake was a beautiful 5 tiered tower effect cake, so OF COURSE it is 6" tall tiers instead of 4" tall, and yes each tier is only 2" difference to the one above...DUH how else can you get the tower look? I told her that the shape and height have nothing to do with the stability, that the support system used did! Also, said that if the btb wanted the cake to have the tower effect then that is how it had to be done, and it wasn't my sister's place to make the decision to change how the cake looks, it is the brides...LOL!

Cake Muggles... icon_razz.gif

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 10

I blame Food Network. Everyone who has ever eaten a cake is now an expert, because they watched experts on TV.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 10

Sometimes it's the pseudo-pros who are the biggest pain in the butt. I have one client who keeps emailing with questions and/or suggestions because she has a SIL who "bakes cakes."

The SIL keeps telling her random crap about cakes, then tells her to email me about it TO TELL ME HOW I SHOULD DO THE CAKE. icon_mad.gif I can't remember the last thing that she said, but it was so stupid I went through the email point by point refuting everything the SIL had said, so I'm hoping that shuts her up.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 10

I'm kind of dealing with one of those brides now too. Her aunt does some catering on the side so she knows that "if we stack the tiers directly on top of each other, all of the frosting will come off when we remove the top tier so we'd better use pillars, but sometimes the frosting even sticks to the plate the pillars are stuck to, so we'd better use the pillars only".........*sigh*......... My frosting doesn't stick....I know how to fix that little problem, cuz I've done a couple of cakes before this particular one icon_smile.gif!

cakesdivine Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 10

Yes! The ones who have a little knowledge think they know more than they do! I had a MOB complain after that I ruined their daughter's wedding by having all those little pegs in the cake (There were 6 of the plastic dowels in the bottom tier (a 14" square), and 5 in the center tier and one center 1/4" wooden dowel through entire cake. She couldn't believe that I put those in there, and that she had taken a Wilton course and they never said anything about putting pegs into a cake. she accused me of trying to cheat them out servings. Yep it takes all kinds.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Yes! The ones who have a little knowledge think they know more than they do! I had a MOB complain after that I ruined their daughter's wedding by having all those little pegs in the cake (There were 6 of the plastic dowels in the bottom tier (a 14" square), and 5 in the center tier and one center 1/4" wooden dowel through entire cake. She couldn't believe that I put those in there, and that she had taken a Wilton course and they never said anything about putting pegs into a cake. she accused me of trying to cheat them out servings. Yep it takes all kinds.

That's priceless icon_lol.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Man, if that's all it take to ruin a wedding it can't have been a very good one to begin with. The 9-11 bombings didn't even ruin my wedding... but maybe I have lower standards? icon_confused.gif Some people need to be b***h slapped repeatedly until they stop opening their mouths.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 10

Ok so after reading this I have to add my own cake muggle story...

I had a baby shower cake order that the client changed the design like 15 times. I swear I was about to pull my hair out. The last change that she made was that she wanted square tiers instead of rounds. icon_rolleyes.gif She wanted 30 servings. Well I told her that I could make a round 6" and 9" that was 30 servings or I could make a 6" and 9" square that was 40 servings, and that if she changed the design the price would change.

For the life of me, and I swear I explained it 20 times, she couldnt get it through her head that square pans=more servings, and that it was NOT possible for me to make her the 2 tier cake that she wanted at 30 servings. All she saw is that I was charging her more money for the 'same' cake in her opinion.

Never mind that not only is it more servings, its more batter, more fondant, more decorating space to fill....

cakesdivine Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #9 of 10

Please everyone...give us your Cake Muggle Stories! I just love it! You just get to laugh and shake your head at their stupidity...

Keep 'em coming folks!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 10

The closest one I have, is this chick in my town who found me on Facebook. From what I gather, she dabbles in decorating, has somewhat of a clue. She used to message me constantly about my recipes, techniques, blah blah blah....I had to start blatantly ignoring her questions and only answering the little simple things. No way am I giving you my recipes and techniques, no one else in town does what I do, and I'm surely not going to give it away to you! If someone wants to know bad enough, they can come in here, join up, be active and participating in these forums....then I'll share! Nyah! Hee hee.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%