Assembling Flowers Between Tiers

Decorating By heychele Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 9:24pm by deliciously_decadent

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:15am
post #1 of 10

Hi,
Does anyone have suggestions on how to put flowers between tiers? I have only done a couple of these with fresh flowers, I just layed saran under the flowers and just kind of stacked them.
On this one I will be using artificial and real. Is there an easier way than just stacking?
I would appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks!

9 replies
Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:32am
post #2 of 10

Place the flowers in between each tier using buttercream icing. You can build up icing mounds and then stick the flowers in the icing. Hope this helps you.

cakesbytanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytanya Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:35am
post #3 of 10

I really don't have any experience with this but I've seen where people have stacked a cake with cake dummies in between the tiers and then put the flowers all around that - just stick them in, I'm guessing. Sorry I can't be a better help.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:44am
post #4 of 10

yep i would stick them into dummies

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you everyone for the replies! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 10

Also remember that some flowers are poisonous so if you are pushing into buttercream on top of cake make sure they know not to eat that frosting or stick straws into cake or frosting and push the stems into the straws. Regular drinking straws or coffee stirrers for thin stems. You can fill the straws with frosting-royal or buttercream-so the stems don't move around in them.

DanaLyons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaLyons Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 10

I would use floral foam wreaths.

deliciously_decadent Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 10

just so you all know floral foam is not food safe and you should only use it on cakes as long as it does not actually contact the cake. if you handle it make sure you wash your hands well and avoid the eyes completely until you have done so as the foam blocks granulate at the slightest touch and those granules can be ingested or rubbed in your eyes very easily

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adatay

just so you all know floral foam is not food safe and you should only use it on cakes as long as it does not actually contact the cake. if you handle it make sure you wash your hands well and avoid the eyes completely until you have done so as the foam blocks granulate at the slightest touch and those granules can be ingested or rubbed in your eyes very easily

good to know. what if we cover it with fondant? or plastic wrap?

deliciously_decadent Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 10

don't think yld ever get fondant to stick to it plactic wrap may work but you would have to be very carefull, i use it for holding top sprays but it is in a container with only the top exposed and i assemble the flowers before putting it on te cake so there is no messing with it once on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%