I'm Gonna Screw This Up!!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 3:11am by tonedna

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:09am
post #1 of 170

I am so nervous... I have a very large order this week and that doesn't bother me, but it includes a 3 tier topsy turvy that is only 8", 6", and 4". I have never made a 3 tier TT and I just know I am going to screw this up. icon_cry.gif The 2 tier that I made was not pretty. icon_confused.gif Now, I've learned a few things since that one, but I am so scared. I really want this one to turn out well because it's going to be a super public event in a big city (lots of great advertisement) and I really like this customer. And honestly I love how TT's look when they're well done so I want to figure out how to do them 'right'.

Ok, I'm done whining, I just had to get that out. icon_redface.gif

169 replies
annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #2 of 170

Yer gonna be fine!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:17am
post #3 of 170

What you need girl!...I know you can do it!!!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 170

here you are, I thought you were lost! you can do this cake and you know you can do this cake. Take a deep breath and what would the cake goddess of all goddess do. Then realize that you are that goddess and go get it done. I know that you can do it. I am so proud of you for even thinking about doing this order!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #5 of 170

I really really like Lindy Smith's way of doing TT over the way that the tutorial has on here - now, I've only made one, but I thought it was pretty easy and the tutorial seems really difficult.

If you can/have time, try to check out her book (the newest one, with the TT on the front cover).

Good luck girl - I know you can do it!!!!!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 170

What I have noticed is that when I have to do something big--I get so nervous that I almost talk myself out of it and then I go ahead and do it and it turns out better than what I imagined.

YOU CAN DO THIS. The nerves are just your way of telling you that you are very close to the dream.

Faerieluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faerieluna Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:28am
post #7 of 170

I looked at your cake pictures and they are INCREDIBLE.
I have a hard time imagining how anyone with such talent would question their ability to do ANY type of cake. I have no doubt you can do it!

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #8 of 170

Aw thanks you guys. I don't know why I have myself so psyched out on this one. I just haven't really successfully done one of these, so I feel like a newbie. I know that all I can do is try my best and hope the cake Gods are with me.

The good news is that I feel a little more confident about the new way I've found of doing them. I tried it the way they do it on the tutorial here and it was a nightmare. I'm going to try it the way that you stack layers like normal, then carve the topsyness. I'm hopeful that will work better for me.

*sigh* Deep breath... just let yourself go... do what comes natural. icon_lol.gif

janelwaters Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:44am
post #9 of 170

That is how Lindy Smith does it in her book - she gives you the angles at which to cut the cakes so that they sit straight but look crooked - hope that makes sense!

It is so much easier that way!!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:54am
post #10 of 170

You will be brilliant. Just post the pictures please!!!

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #11 of 170

Ok... since I am doing this tomorrow and live 45 miles out into the country (No Barnes & Noble down the street) would anyone that has the Lindy book be willing to scan it and send it to me? I promise I will do the honest thing and buy the book this weekend with the cha-ching I make on this cake. It's not like I want to screw them out of a purchase! icon_redface.gif I just don't have time to get it before I need to do it. And I think that would really help me!!

ETA: I don't mean scan the whole book... just like a few key drawings or something. Hahahaha. NO someone should stay up all night scanning the whole book for me! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:01am
post #12 of 170

If anyone is willing to do that (I'm going to bed now because my baby gets up at butt crack dawn) they can send it to me at my home addy... echo at netins . net

janelwaters Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:07am
post #13 of 170

last time i tried to use my printer/scanner it wouldn't work, but I will try it again and send it to you, its just a couple pages.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:12am
post #14 of 170

Ok, I'm such a newbie at TT cakes too! I too have been scared to try. I have to get that book! The only problem is my nearest possible is 2 hrs away...guess I could suck it up and order it from the net somewhere...gone to look now!

Don't worry Mel - I always psych myself out before I do a cake that challenges me and I have so far been pleased with the outcome. You will do fine, just get this first one under your belt and all will be well!

Carson Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #15 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

here you are, I thought you were lost!

Hehehe, see, when you don't post in the laundry thread for a while we come hunting you down!

janelwaters Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:15am
post #16 of 170

oh oh oh!!! I just checked on Amazon.com and you can actually look inside that book and the pages for the carving/stacking etc with the angles are in there - they are on pages 19 and 20! I'm so excited I could help!! yea!!

I still suggest you get the book b/c I think it rocks! that's just me!

Carson Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:20am
post #17 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

oh oh oh!!! I just checked on Amazon.com and you can actually look inside that book and the pages for the carving/stacking etc with the angles are in there - they are on pages 19 and 20! I'm so excited I could help!! yea!!

I still suggest you get the book b/c I think it rocks! that's just me!

Yay! Thanks Janel...I will still get the book as I am always looking for one that rocks! You just saved someone from a lot of scanning time!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:33am
post #18 of 170

Just dont flip back and forth between the pages too much! They have a limit on how much you can look without buying icon_smile.gif
Learned this the hard way icon_wink.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #19 of 170

I can't wait to see your cake, Melvira!

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:01pm
post #20 of 170

Hmmm... I checked it out and it didn't seem that helpful. I think that utube video that someone posted recently was quite helpful. Lindy's doesn't say what she does about cutting out the center... does she do that? Or how does she stack them?

janelwaters Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #21 of 170

She doesn't cut the hole - she uses dowels to support - the angles that she cuts are not that severe and the cakes sit really well. its how i did the one in my gallery - it was my first and so far only, but I thought it was really easy.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:39pm
post #22 of 170

I found great directions on the internet for the TT cake at a site called eG forums. It runs about 20 pages but it is easy to follow and he posts pictures too. Try www. forums.egullet.org and search demo tt cake, good luck

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:19pm
post #23 of 170

My bggest freak out over this cake is that I have to drive it 70-80 mnutes on back highways. (curvy, etc.) I know these cakes you pretty much assemble while decorating, so I'm scared as to how I will transport it and whether it will live through it. icon_rolleyes.gif I'm just being a chicken butt.

I'll check that out pattycakesne, thank you!

janelwaters Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:22pm
post #24 of 170

I just hate the thought of carving that hole - seems really hard to me and the possiblity of screwing that up - SCARY!!

mine was really stable and I had to drive it about 30 mins away and it didn't budge.

Good luck - I know it will be AWESOME! You ROCK!!

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #25 of 170

Thank you! I appreciate the confidence boost!

I keep searching over on eGullet and can't find the demo?? Can anyone else see it and send a link? Maybe I'm just too tired. Not enough sleep last night, babies up at 5am. thumbsdown.gif

janelwaters Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:32pm
post #26 of 170

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=71115&pid=969488&st=0

I hope that shows up - if not google this search "egullet topsy turvey"

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:47pm
post #27 of 170

Melvira - could you point the way to the youtube video that you said was helpful? I'm dying to know the "other" way of making a TT!!! I'm searching youtube but can't seem to land on the right video! Thanks, and good luck to you icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:47pm
post #28 of 170

Ahhhhh, there it is! Thank you! I didn't put the 'E' in turvy. That's probably why I couldn't find it. Let me go read now! Thanks again!

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:50pm
post #29 of 170

Haaha! That's the same tutorial as we have here on CC!! But thank you for pointing it out, I appreciate it.

The utube vid... the problem there is that I don't recall who made it so I'm not sure where it is. Let me look around!

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:05pm
post #30 of 170

Melvira this one?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%