Help!! Working With Fondant In Hot Humid Weather

Decorating By Marmette Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 2:08am by leah_s

Marmette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marmette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:23am
post #1 of 8

I need help CCers,
I will be making a wedding cake early may. The bride wants a 3 tier round cake with fondant draping(cloth like look) along one side of it. she also wants a couple of mini cakes or cupcakes to go with it
however ill be making the cake in another country which is going to be hot and humid. the temperature around may is usually 30-34 C ( 86-93 F) and im worried about how my fondant will hold up in the heat.
It will be displayed outside and im not certain if there will be tents so i want to plan for the worse.
Any tips from you guys with more experience with fondant and heat or maybe better alternatives i can try. Thank you.
LL

7 replies
drummer27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummer27 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:33am
post #2 of 8

I think your plan of planning for the worst is going to be your best bet. I did a 3 tier cake for a wedding in September last year and the humidity in the days leading up to the wedding and the day of the wedding was just out of control. This is just a hobby for me right now so I don't get to work with fondant a lot but I sure did learn a lot from that cake. I ran my AC in the kitchen and had a dehumidifier running and I still ended up having to walk away from it and take a break a couple of times. It all worked out in the end and no one ever knew the struggles that I had with that cake. The bride even sent me a text message from the reception saying how much she loved the cake. Best of Luck to you!!

Marmette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 8

wow i can imagine. yes i will be getting it ready in an aced room but im terribly worried about what happens when its displayed outside. anybody? please help

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #4 of 8

As long as you're using a commercial fondant, I think you will be fine.

Marmette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #5 of 8

great. thank you leahs.
so i just read online that you should not use buttercream to crumb coat your cake when its going to be so hot outside. so now i have no idea how im suppose to crumb coat it now

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #6 of 8

I live in about as far South in AL as you can get - Gulf Shores/Elberta. I make several outdoor wedding cakes with fondant and I use a crumb coat of B/C and - so far - haven't had any problems.

Something I have started doing is making sure the bride understands that humidity and cakes don't go together. I think if you show true concern for the cake and something should happen they understand.

Good Luck!

leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #7 of 8

I always crumb coat with bc. Not a problem.

leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #8 of 8

but not a butter bc, of course.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%