Is It Just Me.....

Decorating By Tee-Y Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm by cakesdivine

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 42

I love making cakes and seeing the joyful expressions on the faces of the celebrants but I feel sad when its time to cut the cake and wonder at times if its worth the effort and sleepless nights it usually takes to create artistic cakes when within a few hours ,even minutes the cake is demolished icon_cry.gif .Anybody feel the same way?

41 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 42

I think about the amazing amount of money I made from making that cake...and I could care less what they do with it. It's cake. Eat it. Yum!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 42

Because I take just as much pride in the flavor of the cake I WANT it to be cut and eaten. I love getting comments back about how great the cake tasted! If you only focus on the cake's looks and sacrifice the taste and flavor of the cake then you are only giving your client half of what they paid for... You should want them to eat it!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Because I take just as much pride in the flavor of the cake I WANT it to be cut and eaten.

Oh yeah...ditto that too! icon_smile.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 42

I love to see people eat the cake I put sooo much time into. Thats what cameras are for. It's fun to go back and look through my cake photos! Take your picture and enjoy! icon_smile.gif

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 42

icon_smile.gif My cakes taste nice as well from the feedback I get, I also make a lot of uniced and less decorated cakes that I supply to teashops, supermarkets and also by request from clients so the taste of my cakes is not the issue here, I just sometimes feel sad when a cake I've spent so many hours beautifying disappears suddenly with the slice of a knife!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 42

"I didn't spend all that time on the cake so you morons could stand there and LOOK at it! That's what dummy cakes are for! So either start cutting that bad boy, or hand me the knife and get the heck outta my way!" icon_mad.gif

I'm more complimented by the taste-reviews than I am by the looks-reviews anyway.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #8 of 42

I'm always excited to see it finally destroyed... nothing annoys me more than waiting for the cake to be cut! I'm usually the one who gets impatient and starts hunting for the cake knife!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 42

I love seeing people eat and enjoy my cakes, but I can't be the one to cut them (crazy, I know, but I can't bring myself to do it lol). It makes me think of the monks who make those intricate sand "paintings", only for them to just be swept away when they are done (not that I'm saying I'm anywhere near that talented lol).

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:51am
post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Because I take just as much pride in the flavor of the cake I WANT it to be cut and eaten.

Oh yeah...ditto that too! icon_smile.gif

Same here! Although my DH will never cut my cakes. He feels bad about it (don't know why since he's the 1st one to dig in icon_lol.gif ).

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:52am
post #11 of 42

Sorry, double post!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:03am
post #12 of 42

Its all about them loving the taste for me. EAT AWAY! icon_wink.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:53pm
post #13 of 42

No, but I do try to get them finished far enough ahead of time (usually the day or night before) so I can sit around and admire it for while!

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:05pm
post #14 of 42

I agree with the fact that IT IS JUST CAKE! Don't get me wrong, I love to create these works of art. But I make them to enjoy with the mouth, not the eyes.

I hate it when people say "It's too nice to cut". Then fine, order a dummy cake to stare at, and order sheet cakes to eat.

I live by my motto: "Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much, EAT CAKE"

Chris

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

I love making cakes and seeing the joyful expressions on the faces of the celebrants but I feel sad when its time to cut the cake and wonder at times if its worth the effort and sleepless nights it usually takes to create artistic cakes when within a few hours ,even minutes the cake is demolished icon_cry.gif .Anybody feel the same way?

I suspect that you have not been doing cakes very long.. Don't feel invalidated about your feelings.. icon_smile.gif You will get past this.. I remember the first cakes I did.. you have such emotional attachment.. icon_lol.gif Take lots of pictures and go bake another one.. icon_biggrin.gif

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #16 of 42

i'd feel bad if they don't cut my cake at all, after all the work i put into it icon_cry.gif

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #17 of 42

No sentimental attachment to my cakes. By the time I am finished with some of them & the quicker they leave my sight, the better. I take the time & care to do a job well. I love the process of planning, baking & decorating, but at the end of the day, it's just cake.

Eat away........please!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:18pm
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

icon_smile.gif My cakes taste nice as well from the feedback I get, I also make a lot of uniced and less decorated cakes that I supply to teashops, supermarkets and also by request from clients so the taste of my cakes is not the issue here, I just sometimes feel sad when a cake I've spent so many hours beautifying disappears suddenly with the slice of a knife!

So do you then want to sit endlessly with the cake at the party icon_lol.gif ,or you prefer to frame it on your wall icon_lol.gif ,think about the money you've made and look forward to making the next cake.
Although i have had a fight with my friends at a party cos they were about to throw my fondant roses away,(my lilac and pink cake)i insisted that they took them home with them.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:20pm
post #19 of 42

It's so funny because everyone always turns to me, hesitates, and then says I hate to cut this cake. I don't get it because I simply can't wait to cut into those those bad boys....for some strange reason I actually derive satisfaction from doing it myself and, if necessary, I'll grab the knife from anyone who hesitates for too long, lol. It's like I'm reverting to my childhood and stomping through block castles or lego masterpieces that took me hours or days to build. It's fun for me. Maybe I'm just naturally destructive icon_biggrin.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:22pm
post #20 of 42

I recently made a 3 tiered cake, chocolate and buttercream, yellow butter cake filled with pinneapple preserves, wasc cake and strawberry filling, and even though my mom can't cut cake, I loved seeing people eating the best part was seeing people go back for seconds and thirds I'm not kidding one of my cousins was like "I just had 3 pieces" I was dang! hey my family can eat some serious cake!

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:30pm
post #21 of 42

i love getting the compliments on how great the cake looks as much as i love getting the compliments on how great the cake tastes! that's the best part of a cake - you get double compliements!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:33pm
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"I didn't spend all that time on the cake so you morons could stand there and LOOK at it! That's what dummy cakes are for! So either start cutting that bad boy, or hand me the knife and get the heck outta my way!" icon_mad.gif

I'm more complimented by the taste-reviews than I am by the looks-reviews anyway.

ABSOLUTELY!!! If they don't want to cut it.....I'll take it to someone who WILL! LOL

Beth in KY

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:37pm
post #23 of 42

Same here. I feel like I got to enjoy the cake while creating it. I never mind people cutting it, although they often do (mind cutting it.) I quip, "it's just cake, it's meant to be eaten." I'm right there with the other who state the flavor/quality is most important to them. If it doesn't have that chances are you won't get the customer back. I always feel sorry for whichever competitor on FNC who, upon presentation of their cake for sampling, is told by one of the judges that their cake is a little dry... you just have to know that's one of those things that happened as a fluke and it's my worst nightmare! but... I digress...

edited for typo

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #24 of 42

I've made cheesecakes that took me a while to finish but I've never though of feeling that way. When I made my first fondant cake, I did feel bad when I had to throw the gumpaste roses I've spent 4 hours on. I really didn't want to keep it around the house since I'm not trying to keep everysingle figure I make.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:39pm
post #25 of 42

When people come up and say "that's so beautiful, I don't want to cut it" I just tell them "it's as good on the inside as you see on the outside, so enjoy." Then I offer to cut the cake myself.

I would rather it get eaten than thrown away.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:41pm
post #26 of 42

No! I WANT them to cut it!!!!! It makes me icon_wink.gifhappy to see them enjoying the cake I did ~ before AND after it's cut!!!!!! The baby shower cake I did for my nephew and his girlfriend almost drove me crazy ~ not actually doing the cake, but at the shower, it took them FOREVER to cut the cake!!!! They kept saying "we don't want to hurt your feelings", and "it's too cute to cut" and "we CAN'T cut it"!!!!!!! And I was like "look, that is MY enjoyment........seeing you cut and eat it"!!!!!!!!Enough already!!!!!!!
I had to cut it so someone could have cake!!!!!!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm
post #27 of 42

I took a cake to my kids' karate school's open house, and I decorated it with the school logo. Of course, it sat there on the table while everyone stared at it and tiptoed around it. I marched up there and cut a hunk out of it to make the point that it was there to be eaten. My husband said that the Grand Master saw that it had been cut and was saying "oh how could someone cut it!" For pete's sake, it's food! Eat the damn cake!! icon_mad.gif

The funny thing was that I'd made cakes for the lead instructor before, and he said that he was hoping that people were afraid to cut it, because he knew how good it was and was planning on taking the leftovers home! icon_razz.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #28 of 42

I can understand how some of you don't like to see the cakes cut. When I made Auntie Griselda, I had to put her on the counter and leave... We'd gone through too much together!
Mostly though, my favorite part is seeing someone clean the cake board of the very last speck of icing and crumb of cake!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #29 of 42

I was recently told one of my cake turned so beautiful it was a shame we had to cut it, this came from a noncake person

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:10pm
post #30 of 42

It doesn't bother me. When they cut it, they can tell that all the love I put into it is not just on the outside.

And if I was a pro, it would bother me even less. As long as it's green and American money, not counterfeit, I don't care if they have a food fight with it. icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%