Airbrush For A Beginner?

Decorating By Kimmers971 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm by Kimmers971

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 6

What would you recommend for a total beginner that isn't too expensive? I have never used an airbrush before but noticed some models with that jar on the bottom. I don't like it, it looks very cumbersome icon_eek.gif . Thanks everyone!

5 replies
SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 6

I would love to hear what people have to say....I've been wanting to get an airbrush too

Carnival_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carnival_Cakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 6

I've used both kinds and prefer the one bucket on top. You're right, it's less cumbersome, it seems. (I rest fingers on the side/bottom with my left hand, just like when piping.)

When it comes to detail remember that you get what you pay for with this sort of equipment. A good airbrush is a good investment.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:59am
post #4 of 6

I got the Airmaster by Kopykake kit. Its the compressor with airbrush and came with some colors too. It was expensive but worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!! I LOVE this airbrush. I only do 1-3 cakes a week and go some weeks with none, but I use it whenever I get the chance. And, the more I practice, the better I get. It has the cup on the top. The only "flaws" I would say is the cup is kinda small (but I think you can get bigger ones for it) and it can be loud (but that's because I am usually using it when my kids are sleeping!!) I looked into them for a long time and read lots of reviews and every one said not to get the less expensive one because you WILL end up getting the more expensive one and wasted the $$ spent on the cheaper one. Good Luck!! icon_wink.gif

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #5 of 6

I got the Airmaster by Kopykake kit. Its the compressor with airbrush and came with some colors too. It was expensive but worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!! I LOVE this airbrush. I only do 1-3 cakes a week and go some weeks with none, but I use it whenever I get the chance. And, the more I practice, the better I get. It has the cup on the top. The only "flaws" I would say is the cup is kinda small (but I think you can get bigger ones for it) and it can be loud (but that's because I am usually using it when my kids are sleeping!!) I looked into them for a long time and read lots of reviews and every one said not to get the less expensive one because you WILL end up getting the more expensive one and wasted the $$ spent on the cheaper one. Good Luck!! icon_wink.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks to all for your help! I think I found a nice starter kit that even comes with a compressor and 12 small bottles of Americolor AmeriMist Food Colors. I'm going to go with it and hope for the best. I can't wait to try it, I've always loved the airbrush look and get it done on my nails all the time. It'd be nice to be able to learn the skill icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%