Kids At Tastings, Yea Or Nea?

Decorating By LaBellaFlor Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm by KitchenKat

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #61 of 69

i do the rainbows (girl guides, 5-7) and the things i see...
one thing is grabbing! we usually offer goodies at the end of the night, and they go grabbing. im not a parent but i have no problem saying get to the back of the line! thankfully i got over any worries about reprimanding kids near there parents.

but i do have the ultimate dumb parent, and she seems like a really nice woman too, seems smart. her kid is 7, and so clever, loves reading, writing stories, and plays clever games, like playing teacher on a blackboard. you think the mum would encourage this right? no, she wishes this girl would sit and watch tv! apparently the girl doesnt stop playing right away when she is told to, like for dinner, but why does she think that would happen any better with tv?! at least she is using her brain!
xx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

dmhart, and the thing is, you only have to tan their behind just ONCE! After that, you only have to threaten it! Then "the look" does your work for you.

Been there ... done that ... ended up with great kids!

And so many parents don't get that Indydebi. It only takes one really good time, when they're young, the first time! My kids joke how I threaten, but don't actually spank them, but I also only have to tell them ONE TIME!...cause they know Mommy's a killer & she doesn't like any bad kids around her.

And they know it the OTHER way too ... when my nephews were little, the kids were playing in their family room basement. they got a little loud or something so the dad (my sis's hubby) goes to yell at the kids, threatened them with god knows what, blah blah blah. Dad goes upstairs and 7 year old nephew says to my daughter "They always SAY they're going to do something, but they never do, so don't worry about it."

My kids knew the opposite at our house. My son missed a caving trip thru school because he'd screwed up and was grounded (he's skipped school one day and was playing video games all day at a friends house). He tried to pull the "but it's a school function", to which I replied, "you should have thought of that before you threw my rules out the window!" So a few years later, our youngest was joking about skipping school. I looked at my son and said, "John?" He turned to baby sis and said, "Forget about it ... it's not worth it!" icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #63 of 69

As the youngest of 8 kids I can tell you we knew about *the LOOK*.

When we went anywhere with my parents there was no question about us behaving, we all knew we better behave.

I remember going to my Aunt's house and the 4 of us that were the youngest would sit on the couch with our hands folded. If we were offered a cookie or a drink, we'd look at our parents to see if it was OK. We NEVER asked for a second one.

I don't remember ever getting hit, but the LOOK, oh I definitely remember that look. icon_rolleyes.gif

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:29pm
post #64 of 69

Growing up I knew what mama & daddy said was the gospel. I was scared of them, not in a bad way, but when they said something they meant it. If we messed up we knew what was coming. I remember one time my mom, me and my two sisters were at a resturant eating with one of my aunts. We (my sisters and I) were being silly, not listening, we were warned. Did we listen, NOOOO, Mama took us to the restroom and spanked us with her sandle. Now, she didn't beat us, but I didn't forget it. We were between the ages of 5-9. We were perfect angels the rest of the afternoon. One thing about it I respected my parents and my step parents.

I expect that out of my children too, respect. I have told them many times I am your Mother not your friend.

Debbie

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:42pm
post #65 of 69

It really breaks my heart to see little kids treating thier parents like crap and walking all over them, and the parents let them do it. Kids screaming at their parents, hitting them, kicking them, talking back....

I am torn between wanting to smack the parents or to gently point out that little Johnny's 'creativity' is only going to get worse with age and eventually land him in juvy one day.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhart

Growing up I knew what mama & daddy said was the gospel. I was scared of them, not in a bad way, but when they said something they meant it. If we messed up we knew what was coming. I remember one time my mom, me and my two sisters were at a resturant eating with one of my aunts. We (my sisters and I) were being silly, not listening, we were warned. Did we listen, NOOOO, Mama took us to the restroom and spanked us with her sandle. Now, she didn't beat us, but I didn't forget it. We were between the ages of 5-9. We were perfect angels the rest of the afternoon. One thing about it I respected my parents and my step parents.

I expect that out of my children too, respect. I have told them many times I am your Mother not your friend.

Debbie

Alleluia.......Amen!!!!

Must be the name icon_wink.gif

Deb icon_biggrin.gif

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhart

Debbie

Alleluia.......Amen!!!!

Must be the name icon_wink.gif

Deb icon_biggrin.gif

HeHe I love it!! thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:56pm
post #68 of 69

I tell my kids that all the time. My oldest (who is 1icon_cool.gif ask all the time why we can't be FRIENDS, her girlfriends & there mothers are. I'm you mom, not your frined. You sure you want it the other way, cause that comes with a whole different type of rules & interaction. She hasn't mentioned it again. With little kids & blame the parents, with teenagers, I blame both. After a while, you should have enough snese for yourself.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #69 of 69

I'm a Sunday school teacher and I am just horrified by the behavior of some children AND their parents. Top of my list, trivial but very irritating - parents who let their children run up and down the aisle during holy mass, and worse, while wearing squeaky shoes (you know, shoes that make squeaking noises with every step - still very popular in my part of the world!)

I believe that there are no bad children. Only bad parents.

So much has been written about how today's generation is a generation of "enablers". Afraid to step in or to discipline or to correct for fear of damaging children's self esteem or fracturing relationships. Or they're just simply too tired or too busy to care, taking the concept of "choose your battles" too far. Consequently many children grow up without learning limits. Can't blame them when their parents did not instill positive values in them at all.

My long winded answer to the OP's question: No kids at business meetings, that includes cake tastings. If they can get away from the kid long enough to have their wedding, they should certainly be able to manage to find someone to watch the kid for the hour or so it takes to have a tasting.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%