Topsy Turvy Styles/methods

Decorating By clovely Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 5:57pm by Katie-Bug

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 20

Am I correct that there are two primary ways to do a topsy turvy or whimsy cake?

I've seen the tutorial on how to do this (and I've done one)...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1347026

But I don't know how to get this look - this is different...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-53691.html

...is there a tutorial or explanation somewhere on that?

19 replies
deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:58am
post #2 of 20

it is three cakes stacked on styro dummies secured with a central support dowel.
here is the link to my hadhatter/topsy tute, it explains the first method of topsy but also shows you how to use a central support dowel to stabilise the whole design and it is the same process for the dummy wonky
instead of engling the tiers though, you angle the styro dummy supports let me know if you need anything
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deliciously_decadent/sets/72157616259103302/

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:55am
post #3 of 20

Thanks, that's what I was trying to figure out - what was angled.

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:19am
post #4 of 20

Here is the tutorial I followed to do my TT cake.

I would like to find a tutorial for the second pic you posted a link to. The one with the angled styrofoam in between the cake tiers.

deliciously_decadent Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:39am
post #5 of 20

you don't really need a tute if you have already done a topsy, just pretend the styro sections are the topsy cakes and the cake secyions are normal tiers and stack as you would a topsy it is the same theory in design justa different look

i don;t use the 'dam' method to do my topsy's i tried it once but didn't like it, JMHO, obviosly everyone is different and you need ot fidn the method that suits, the mehtod to do the stryo topsy is using the slanted stack method not the 'dam' method though just so you know icon_biggrin.gif
think round tier cake, angled styro, round tier cake angled styro round tier cake, all threaded onto a central support dowel to stop slidding and voila! if you check out mu tute on flickr but imagine the bottom and upper middle tier to be the round cake tiers and not angled then picture the lower middle and top tiers as the styro's (adding an additional round cake tier and using the same size tiers the whole way say 10" cakes and 7" styros) you will be able to work it out. if you have any questions let me know

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adatay

it is three cakes stacked on styro dummies secured with a central support dowel.
here is the link to my hadhatter/topsy tute, it explains the first method of topsy but also shows you how to use a central support dowel to stabilise the whole design and it is the same process for the dummy wonky
instead of engling the tiers though, you angle the styro dummy supports let me know if you need anything

your cake with its tutorial is amazing! thank you for sharing this =D

thumbs_up.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 20

what I don't understand about some of the tutorials i've found, is that most of them use 3 different size cakes for one tier of the topsy turvy.

For example, the bottom tier would be 12-11-10, but you end up carving it down to a 10" size...why not just start with all 3 10" cakes?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks for all the links to tutorials!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 20

niccicola,

It depends on the type of TT cake you want. If you want it to wider at the top, than it would be 10, 11, 12 - you only carve to make the sides smooth.

If all you want is the 'crooked' factor, then I guess yes, you could use all 10", but it' won't be wider at the top.

hth!

Kerry_Kake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

what I don't understand about some of the tutorials i've found, is that most of them use 3 different size cakes for one tier of the topsy turvy.

For example, the bottom tier would be 12-11-10, but you end up carving it down to a 10" size...why not just start with all 3 10" cakes?

The reason we use the 3 different sizes to one tier is to avoid loss of cake. A lot less carving to do icon_smile.gif The top of the tier is the 12", while the bottom is the 10"....it gives it an angled look. Check out my advatar.
Hope that's not too confusing! icon_biggrin.gif

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 20

Thanks for sharing I can't wait to try one...

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 20

That makes sense, thanks for answering!! icon_biggrin.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 20

hi guys if you check out my tutorial:
i only use one cake per tier as the way i carve only wastes minimal cake, hope this helps thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Quote:

your cake with its tutorial is amazing! thank you for sharing this =D
thanks atomikjen! kept getting asked a zillion questions over on flickr so the last one i did (two weeks ago) i photographed everything and made up the tutorial, i tried to make sure i didn't miss anything out that is why it is quite in depth, glad you enjoyed it!!

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm
post #14 of 20

adatay, the link to your tutorial doesn't work...help!!!

deliciously_decadent Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #15 of 20
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks for the tutorials!!!! I've never done a TT cake but I am excited to try one. Wonderful thread. icon_biggrin.gif

This website is awesome. My cake decorating is still very amatuer but I'm learning so much from you ladies and gents!!!!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:49pm
post #17 of 20

I have a question, will any of these methods for making TT cakes still work with cakes done in frosting instead of fondant?

Thanks!!

deliciously_decadent Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm
post #18 of 20

hmm good question, i would think that frosting would make the cake more subject to slide however the support dowel should hold it. i think it should be fine as long as you weren't really travelling? i do not use buttercream or frosting so maybe someone out there with more experience in these icing types? findant does make it more sturdy as it sets harder and makes it a bit more stable

Kerry_Kake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie-Bug

I have a question, will any of these methods for making TT cakes still work with cakes done in frosting instead of fondant?

Thanks!!

Sure can! Lots of people do buttercream instead of fondant. I prefer using fondant only because my smoothing buttercream skills aren't quit there yet. icon_smile.gif

HTH

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 5:57pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks!! I have agreed to do one for a wedding this May, kinda nervous! I am going to do a 2-tier trail run in the next few weeks!

Thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%